Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Gen 5 Camaro SS/1LE to C6 Z06 - Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 08:49 PM
schecter7
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gen 5 Camaro SS/1LE to C6 Z06 - Anyone?

Guys,

Currently drive a 13 SS/1LE, also had 10 SS, 99 (V6) before. Looking to get a C6 Z06. Dad owns a C6Z, but doesn't drive it much. I will put at least 10/15K miles a year. I know both cars very well - but I would like to ask some specific questions to the people who took the same route.

First question: I read great reviews of Michelin PSS on this forum. But compared to the F1s on 1LE (while both are new), I found them just average. They just don't give me the same confidence like the F1s do. Did you feel the same? Also the bovine noise PSS makes on some patches of interstate (don't know the kind, but let's say the ones with harder, lighter shade) is a serious concern for me. It is deafening! Is that a PSS thing? Or a Z06 insulation thing in general? Any other tire to try?

Thanks!

Last edited by schecter7; 06-11-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:37 PM
SPDKLZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 269 Likes on 186 Posts

My MPSS in stock sizes are light years ahead of my oem Goodyear Supercar Gen 2's in all areas, especially traction and road noise.

Go for it, but get the heads done.

Jesse
The following 2 users liked this post by SPDKLZ1:
95rtturbo (06-12-2017), schecter7 (06-17-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 09:53 PM
schecter7
Intermediate

I wish I could agree on the noise. Have you tried driving on not-so-smooth interstate patches with the PSS? The noise was obnoxious. I am comparing identical 1LE & Z06 600 mile rides on i35. On the smooth parts, PSS are very good. But about 50% of i35 is not perfect anyway -lol

Last edited by schecter7; 06-11-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:04 PM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 239 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by schecter7
I wish I could agree on the noise. Have you tried driving on not-so-smooth interstate patches with the PSS? The noise was obnoxious. I am comparing identical 1LE & Z06 600 mile rides on i35. On the smooth parts, PSS are very good. But about 50% of i35 is not perfect anyway -lol
Might be the fact that the Corvette just transmits more road noise than the Camaro.
The following users liked this post:
schecter7 (06-17-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 10:13 AM
Pinski 1
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It is a ZO6 thing with the noise. So far I have run Goodyears, Michelin PS-2 & PSS (two sets) continental DW and Rival S. I am one of the few people that loved the goodyears but not enough to pay that money for another set. PSS is the best tire for the buck. My favorite ones so far are the continentals for daily driving. They don't compare to any of the others on the track but they are quiet, great in the wet and they don't pick up stones like the others. I run the Rivals on the track and when these continentals wear out I will get another set for daily driving.
schecter7 (06-17-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 07:54 PM
schecter7
Intermediate

Thanks for the responses, Guys! I guess the road noise is just more prominent on the Z06. I will check out other tires soon.

Btw, I already picked up a '12 Z06 with 13K miles. The manual specifies clutch fluid flush at every 2 year/30K miles interval. I am probably being paranoid, but I do hear a bit of grind from going 1st to 2nd. Do you ever shift into the second cruising through low speed zones like parking lot, etc.? I just like to avoid attention due to high rpm revving by shifting into second early in those zones. Am I doing it right :p ? It worked just fine on the 1LE. The clutch pedal also feels quite stiffer than the 1LE one - bought the 1LE new, Z06 used - so I don't know what the Z06 pedal should feel like. Any comment?

Thanks.

Last edited by schecter7; 06-17-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:47 PM
Pinski 1
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by schecter7
Thanks for the responses, Guys! I guess the road noise is just more prominent on the Z06. I will check out other tires soon.

Btw, I already picked up a '12 Z06 with 13K miles. The manual specifies clutch fluid flush at every 2 year/30K miles interval. I am probably being paranoid, but I do hear a bit of grind from going 1st to 2nd. Do you ever shift into the second cruising through low speed zones like parking lot, etc.? I just like to avoid attention due to high rpm revving by shifting into second early in those zones. Am I doing it right :p ? It worked just fine on the 1LE. The clutch pedal also feels quite stiffer than the 1LE one - bought the 1LE new, Z06 used - so I don't know what the Z06 pedal should feel like. Any comment?

Thanks.
That is common if the fluids are not warmed up. Once they are all warmed up they shift much better. I have always found the clutch to be a little difficult compared to other cars. There is a learning curve with it. I do the ranger method very frequently with my clutch and have never had a problem and I'm sure most people will agree here.
schecter7 (06-17-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 11:09 PM
schecter7
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pinski 1
That is common if the fluids are not warmed up. Once they are all warmed up they shift much better. I have always found the clutch to be a little difficult compared to other cars. There is a learning curve with it. I do the ranger method very frequently with my clutch and have never had a problem and I'm sure most people will agree here.
Thanks! That's surely assuring. I will go with the ranger method. I actually bought an extended warranty - so was rather looking at doing at a dealership. One dealer just quoted around $500 as they have to drop the exhaust to get to the bleeder.

I proly would have sucked it up until I just have changed transmission fluid of a Ford Taurus (auto) at a F*** dealership couple hours ago. Little off-topic - but you won't believe they used a multi-vehicle Mobil ATF (that does have the Ford Mercon V approval) instead of their Motorcraft fluid and the car has been shifting terribly. The fluid level was low and they 'flushed' it instead of dropping the pan (as Ford recommends). When I went back, I was told my tranny was going bad and it's not their fault - and the old thick fluid was 'magically' holding it together. So much crap for being pro-active about maintenance. I topped it off, it got better, now I have to 'flush' again to get that junk out. I can't imagine doing that with the Z06 clutch - lol. My brand new Mitsubishi also got rear ended lately and one of the most well known body shops in the area apparently just forgot to put some rear wheel well covers, emblems, etc. So you can understand my frustration.

Long story short - don't let the low IQ scammers screw your car(s) especially when it comes to fluids (I do have very good experience at Capitol Chevy in Austin - other chevy dealers' service guys are just the same sh*t)

Go Ranger!

Last edited by schecter7; 06-17-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:35 PM
schecter7
Intermediate

Hi Guys, quick question about the PSS. You know the G1F2s on the 1LE acts up quite a bit until they get warmed up by giving you a feel of an unaligned front end at times - but that's for only first 2/3 minutes. I am running the Z06 PSS at 30 psi (cold). Most of the times, I can't even get the PSI over 32 after 15/20 miles ride (it's pretty hot already here in Austin) and the car reminds of those cold G1F2 moments event at 32. It doesn't want to go straight, follows all the imperfections, tries to pull to the right (natural road inclination?). Is that normal - should I get an liftetime alignment deal - I am afraid they might break something else though

On top of that, the steering wheel started squeaking quite loud (it's a '12 FYI in case Chevy changed the material) when I turn right - not sure if that's somehow related - if there's any lubricant I could use - that'd be great.

Last edited by schecter7; 06-30-2017 at 05:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Gen 5 Camaro SS/1LE to C6 Z06 - Anyone?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Gen 5 Camaro SS/1LE to C6 Z06 - Anyone?