Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Stuck lifter... Now the upgraded 7.7

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 11:33 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by HP RESEARCH
To finish first, one must first finish the race....

Going on a road race engine for realiblity when the customer isn't using a bottomless bank account you must pick your items wisely for both power and long lasting performance.
Good build hopefully I will see the car since he's local and do some cruising...good luck
The following users liked this post:
HC Mechanic (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 03:13 AM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Very cool, would be very interested to see what your hp/tq curves look like with that build.

Have you tested any CP pistons or Carrillo rods? If you have not, I highly recommend testing some. They are the most critical manufacture here in the United States when it comes to materials, design, and manufacture protocols. I'm good friends with a former CP/Carrillo engineer, and he let me in on some of the differentiating factors; without telling me the details of how they actually did it.

Carrillo might be able to make you ti rods...but I'm not sure.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:12 AM
0HP RESEARCH
Former Vendor

Received 211 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir972003
Good build hopefully I will see the car since he's local and do some cruising...good luck
Feras can better answer that question, but I do not think this car sees much street duty, it's more of a track purpose kind of car.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:08 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HC Mechanic
Very cool, would be very interested to see what your hp/tq curves look like with that build.

Have you tested any CP pistons or Carrillo rods? If you have not, I highly recommend testing some. They are the most critical manufacture here in the United States when it comes to materials, design, and manufacture protocols. I'm good friends with a former CP/Carrillo engineer, and he let me in on some of the differentiating factors; without telling me the details of how they actually did it.

CP is what I'm running in my set up so far so good RMorrison recommended the CPistons.
HC Mechanic (06-24-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 06:30 PM
0HP RESEARCH
Former Vendor

There is certainly nothing at all wrong with Carrillo rods or CP pistons. We have a couple engines in the shop now using Carrillo rods. You will pay a premium price for their products over Wiseco items a lot of times Wiseco may fit the overall needs of the customer better in the ways of reliability and costs.

In many of our engines Erik has worked with Wiseco to develop our own pistons because it was our design and they do them exclusively for us, as is the case with the 442 and 468 shown here.

We also work with companies like Dyer, Sonny Bryant, Windberg....all very good companies in what they do and how they may fit the needs of our customers, again as it suits their build and budget constraints.

I'll post some more "budget free" shall we say builds as we go along. Again it is nice to see it, but isn't always needed, or in the customer's budget. -- big key word there NEEDED.

But if you wanted to see some more high end stuff...

$4000 billet Sonny Bryant fully counter weight LS crank on the left compared to a $1100 forged Callies unit on the right. For the weekend HPDE guy, you probably won't NEED the Bryant crank but it is pretty..

The following 2 users liked this post by HP RESEARCH:
HC Mechanic (06-24-2017), MTPZ06 (03-01-2018)
Old 06-24-2017, 03:03 AM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Agree 100%

Are Callies making there cranks here in the states still?

Do you know much about the particular differences between the Wiseco vs. CP pistons...for lack of a better work, profile. I can't recall the technical term off hand.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:47 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Agree 100%

Do you know much about the particular differences between the Wiseco vs. CP pistons...for lack of a better work, profile. I can't recall the technical term off hand.
When I bought my crank, the are finished here in states but the compstar are forged in china/overseas, dragonslayer or better are 100% usa. That may have changed in past 6 years.
HC Mechanic (06-24-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 10:23 AM
08Z
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Updates!!! The build is complete! Thanks to the guys at HPR for working late and getting the 468 built and delivered! 21st century took possession of the engine yesterday and will have the car back in my hands monday for me to put miles on it then take it back for final tune and dyno! Here are a few more pictures.

I also got in some Viper ACR 355's yesterday to try out in the rear. Should be an interesting combo. 335 fronts and 355 rears...

And lastly I might have some new emblems being made for the car...

Last edited by 08Z; 06-24-2017 at 10:25 AM.
HC Mechanic (06-24-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 12:57 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

That is one pretty crank.
HC Mechanic (06-24-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 01:47 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

08Z really happy for you Brother

Can't wait to hear more about it, I plan on getting one in the near future. Beautiful lifters! That's the component that took out my LS2, was running standard Z06 lifters on my H/C setup. Obviously like you I couldn't just fix it like a normal human and move on, had to spice it up with all new internals

What's the story on that Katech pump, haven't seen that one before..

Last edited by HC Mechanic; 06-24-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:05 PM
08Z
Instructor

08Z really happy for you Brother

Can't wait to hear more about it, I plan on getting one in the near future. Beautiful lifters! That's the component that took out my LS2, was running standard Z06 lifters on my H/C setup. Obviously like you I couldn't just fix it like a normal human and move on, had to spice it up with all new internals

What's the story on that Katech pump, haven't seen that one before..
Thanks man its been the most expensive two weeks of my life lol. The oil pump is the Katech red pump. It was highly recommended over the stock ls7 pump by 21st century. Here's the link to it http://store.katechengines.com/high-...pump-p261.aspx
Old 06-24-2017, 02:38 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Default looks good

Looks good glad you are happy with the build.....enjoy
Old 06-24-2017, 04:15 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 08Z
Thanks man its been the most expensive two weeks of my life lol. The oil pump is the Katech red pump. It was highly recommended over the stock ls7 pump by 21st century. Here's the link to it http://store.katechengines.com/high-...pump-p261.aspx
Very cool, I'll check it out.

Totally know what you mean about the 2 weeks part, felt the same way building my 402 a few years back. I forget about the cost every time I fire it up though. Your "life's too short not to have a 468" comment made me figure we're a lot alike. After serving in the military you cherish every day. That thing is gonna be a TON of fun man!
Old 06-24-2017, 08:14 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

-not a carb setup, but a more traditional style carb intake manifold...but they are still fuel injected. Those are typically much larger cylinder heads, Jesel shaft mount style valve train, 1500+cfm throttle bodies, and would require some hood modifications to go in a Corvette currently. A current FAST or MSD just does not have the air flow to support that kind of power with these big engines.

We are going to be doing a lot of testing with the 468 engine platform in a couple of local cars, one a BMW and the other a C6Z06 that will be the test bed for intake/head/cam development.

As time progresses we are very much planning on doing a number of in house designs more so than just the lower end of the engine and expanding into intake manifold designs because of the HUGE demand for air these big engines demand.
Really looking forward to that, seems like the intake manifold is the biggest problem in progression; at least in terms of application with our cars.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:11 AM
trogdor
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default well how unlucky am I?

lol i have been in and out of 21st century muscle cars about every other week for the past couple of months doing heads/cam and a few other things... i am sad i wont be there to see this beast fire up... they are doing an MGW shifter for me when matt gets it in maybe it will be in time... the guys at 21st are top shelf.
The following 2 users liked this post by trogdor:
HC Mechanic (06-25-2017), HP RESEARCH (06-26-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 10:45 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 896 Likes on 685 Posts

Sorry to hear about the initial engine problems. Awesome build you have going on though.

A friend of mine just lost a lifter as well. We haven't finished tearing it apart, but the wheel is gone. Hopefully he won't have to go through with a whole new short block.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:31 AM
0HP RESEARCH
Former Vendor

Agree 100%

Originally Posted by Unreal
When I bought my crank, the are finished here in states but the compstar are forged in china/overseas, dragonslayer or better are 100% usa. That may have changed in past 6 years.
As far as I can tell, what Unreal said is true still today. All Compstar stuff is overseas made and typically is the same forging that GM uses just that Callies finishes them not Norton (Callies parent company, and supplier to GM). Or at least the last I had known was that the Callies Compstar and GM LS7 cranks were both the same, just had a different finishing machine process but they started as the same piece.

On the pistons, Wiseco is probably the largest manufacturer of pistons in the world and will do different setups for other companies be it a blank forging or finished product but I would venture to say that most forged pistons probably come from Wiseco. It is a much larger company than most believe. I do not know if they do anything for CP or not. Again, there are a number of different solutions to each customer's engine depending on what you need as the end result.
HC Mechanic (06-28-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Stuck lifter... Now the upgraded 7.7

Old 06-27-2017, 08:52 PM
butch353
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

RIP time for the smelter an recast. JD.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:50 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Results?
Old 06-28-2017, 11:52 AM
08Z
Instructor

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Results?
We will have results friday. I get the car back today and need to put a few hundred miles on it before we rip it on the dyno.
HP RESEARCH (06-28-2017)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Stuck lifter... Now the upgraded 7.7