Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

2009 Z06 Exhaust flaps not closing

Old 06-17-2017, 06:58 PM
IBAUCLAPlaya
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 2009 Z06 Exhaust flaps not closing

New owner here...just picked her up today. 2009 C6 Z06 Grey, 25k miles, bone stock except intake & tune.

On the drive home, the exhaust had a good drone on the highway and I noticed the center two tips are black.

So when I got home I started looking into the actuator and saw the attached pics. I'm assume the reason my exhaust flaps aren't closing is because this green wire has been clipped and should be in the 6th prong of the harness that's covered...is this accurate?

I already checked the fuse and it's properly installed and not blown.

Photos are from passenger left tail light opening.

Name:  IMG_0179_zpskuymto2z.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  148.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0178_zps9zp0t6br.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  133.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0176_zpspyzcz9db.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  200.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0177_zpsbxpcch4d.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  236.6 KB

Last edited by IBAUCLAPlaya; 06-17-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:49 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

The actuators work on vacuum, not current. Are the little black lines hooked up to the 2 actuators on the exhaust?
Old 06-18-2017, 10:26 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Well, the system needs both to work properly. Vacuum from the intake manifold, current to the module controlled by the BCM.

That green wire you are looking, at that may be an antenna lead and not a cut wire, so don't assume.

The connector and wiring to the module in question looks intact.

There are several things to check when troubleshooting this issue -

Is the line connected to the back of the intake manifold that rolls up through the firewall near the brake booster? Is it free from any cracks, splits or breaks? These are actually fairly common issues.

Next up is the area in the pics - these modules have been known to fail and a simple replacement usually resolves the problem.

Also check to ensure the vacuum lines on the back side of the car are solid from where they flow underneath the body to the module and then from the module to the actual actuators themselves.

There is also a fuse in-line in the footwell, controls power to the module in the bumper.

Finally, you have the diaphragms in the muffler actuators - it's not common for them to fail but you can always check them with a vacuum pump.

In fact you could check the whole system from the front of the car to the back with a vacuum pump - if all that checks out it's either the line from the intake to the firewall or the electronic module in the bumper area.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 06-18-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:13 PM
IBAUCLAPlaya
Instructor

Thanks. Fuse is in place and looks fine. Vacuum lines off intake mani look good too (see photos) guess I'll check and buy new module and see if that fixes it
Old 06-21-2017, 02:09 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Well, the system needs both to work properly. Vacuum from the intake manifold, current to the module controlled by the BCM.

That green wire you are looking, at that may be an antenna lead and not a cut wire, so don't assume.

The connector and wiring to the module in question looks intact.

There are several things to check when troubleshooting this issue -

Is the line connected to the back of the intake manifold that rolls up through the firewall near the brake booster? Is it free from any cracks, splits or breaks? These are actually fairly common issues.

Next up is the area in the pics - these modules have been known to fail and a simple replacement usually resolves the problem.

Also check to ensure the vacuum lines on the back side of the car are solid from where they flow underneath the body to the module and then from the module to the actual actuators themselves.

There is also a fuse in-line in the footwell, controls power to the module in the bumper.

Finally, you have the diaphragms in the muffler actuators - it's not common for them to fail but you can always check them with a vacuum pump.

In fact you could check the whole system from the front of the car to the back with a vacuum pump - if all that checks out it's either the line from the intake to the firewall or the electronic module in the bumper area.
Excellent advice. Definitely pull out a vacuum pump, that will tell you if you have a vacuum issue or electrical gremlins.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:24 AM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 134 Posts

start at the fuse in the passenger foot well. It's the bottom right fuse. Red 10 Amp. If there isn't a fuse in there that's why they are staying open. Put a fuse in and it should work.

Next step after checking the fuse is there. While the car is running unplug one of the actuators on the muffler and put your finger over the vacuum line and see if it has vacuum and the other muffler still hooked up closes. If nothing then hook it back up and do the same for the other vac line. If one of the muffler close it's a torn diaphram in the muffler that didn't close.

Still not fixed. There is a plastic ball on the passenger side by the mufflers under the car. Larger than a softball. That is your vacuum canister for the npp. Unplug the line that comes from the front of the car while the car is running and see if it has vacuum with your finger. If it does then replace the solenoid behind the inside pass tail light. If no vacuum then it is cracked or disconnected behind the intake.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:49 PM
IBAUCLAPlaya
Instructor

Thanks. I will check these steps. Let me ask this...the car has a tune and I also noticed the 1-4 skip shift is disabled. Is it possible to disable skip shift and leave exhaust flaps open 100% of the time in the tune?
Old 06-21-2017, 06:02 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by IBAUCLAPlaya
Thanks. I will check these steps. Let me ask this...the car has a tune and I also noticed the 1-4 skip shift is disabled. Is it possible to disable skip shift and leave exhaust flaps open 100% of the time in the tune?
Most people pull the exhaust control fuse in the passenger footwell to leave the butterflies open.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:33 PM
IBAUCLAPlaya
Instructor

I've checked the fuse already...not the issue. Is this adjustable in a tune? Can anyone answer that?
Old 06-22-2017, 03:08 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

I've checked the fuse already...not the issue. Is this adjustable in a tune? Can anyone answer that?
Not adjustable in the tune.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:21 PM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Check the vacuum line under the protective loom. That's where I found the cracked vacuum line.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:36 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

did you check the electrical output at that fuse?
Old 07-04-2017, 12:48 PM
IBAUCLAPlaya
Instructor

Found the problem...the line to the vacuum canister was snapped at the point the line meets the canister.

I removed the canister and line all the way back to the t and capped off the t.

Will this work and be safe to drive? Or do I need to get a replacement canister and line?
Old 07-06-2017, 07:55 PM
IBAUCLAPlaya
Instructor

Anybody?
Also does anybody know how to find the part numbers for items 19 & 28 from the following photo? Every parts website I pull up shows a different diagram in the emissions section.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:49 AM
IBAUCLAPlaya
Instructor

Anybody?
Old 07-10-2017, 09:39 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Yes, call Rich@Abel Chevy, or the parts house of your choice, and they will give you the part numbers and a great price on those.

Get notified of new replies

To 2009 Z06 Exhaust flaps not closing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 Z06 Exhaust flaps not closing