Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Newbie with LS7 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 12:52 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by NotreOkc
Hello my Corvette family. As the title says, only the 2 inner exhaust tips turn black and need to be cleaned off. I have not had to clean the inside of the outer 2. What could be causing this?
Is there anything to worry about? Oh, she is a 2012 Centennial ZR1, 20K miles. Thanks!
If that is your response I take it my point is well made. Thanks! LOL
Lets change subject, this one has proven too advanced for you. How about the thread you started last month regarding inner exhaust tip soot.

Did you ever discover what could possibly be turning your inner exhaust tips black?

Those kinds of hard-hitting questions kinda reveal your knowledge of the C6 power train and are laughably uninformed. Not that there is anything wrong with you being uninformed, just that you lack credibility on the topic of Valve guide wear.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:11 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 125 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
This guy sounds like he is friends with that other guy, the one that claimed "it must be related to the area of the country, the dealership I visit in the North East hadn't heard about it..".

One more time, to the OP - here are the REAL facts..

1. Over 80 percent of the heads checked for guide wear on this forum were found to have one or more guides out of spec. Not 1 percent, or 10 percent, eighty percent..

2. Loose valve guides are the number one LS7 block ventilation / $16,000.00 paper weight creating contributor.

3. Unless you like to gamble, you'd be a fool not to check them.

Anyone advising you to "don't worry, just drive it!", ask them if they will they put their money where their mouth is - will they write you a $16,000 check? The silence will be deafening.
I put my money right where my mouth is. I have said a thousand times that if you are going to mod the engine then by all means check the guides. If you are going to leave the engine stock then drive the hell out of it. I did.....for 45K miles. And tracked it, hard. ZERO issues. That's my moneys worth.

If the engine is so unreliable and out of speck, why did GM continue to make it and warranty it for 8 years. If the engine is so unreliable, why did GM decide, after 8 years, to keep the engine around and throw it into the Camaro? Those are the facts my friend.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:14 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by nuke61
Where can I find this known fact that less than 1% are affected?
Do you honestly think GM is going to continue to make and warranty an engine for 8 years if it is unreliable?
And on top of that, it is sooooo unreliable that it was THE one LS engine they decided to keep around and put it into the Camaro.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:19 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

I put my money right where my mouth is. I have said a thousand times that if you are going to mod the engine then by all means check the guides. If you are going to leave the engine stock then drive the hell out of it. I did.....for 45K miles. And tracked it, hard. ZERO issues. That's my moneys worth.
What mods do you believe would require a person to check the guides?

Be specific. This is a test.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:20 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Josh B.
Lets change subject, this one has proven too advanced for you. How about the thread you started last month regarding inner exhaust tip soot.

Did you ever discover what could possibly be turning your inner exhaust tips black?

Those kinds of hard-hitting questions kinda reveal your knowledge of the C6 power train and are laughably uninformed. Not that there is anything wrong with you being uninformed, just that you lack credibility on the topic of Valve guide wear.
I am impressed, you know how to troll someone's profile. If you are the one calling out my credibility, then I am doing just fine. Appreciate the love.
I will call on your expert knowledge as I did a few others. Because I just cannot figure this one out either: LOL
If the LS7 is so unreliable why did GM make and warranty it for 8 years. And on top of that, it was so unreliable they decided it was the ONE LS engine they decided to keep around and put into the Camaro.
So go ahead all mighty one, break that down for me. Because you are obviously smarter than the engineers at GM.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:22 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Michael_D
What mods do you believe would require a person to check the guides?

Be specific. This is a test.
If I had the LS3, that is an engine I would Mod. And I did.

I did not and would not mod the LS7. As it was not the best block to do so.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:24 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Do you honestly think GM is going to continue to make and warranty an engine for 8 years if it is unreliable?
And on top of that, it is sooooo unreliable that it was THE one LS engine they decided to keep around and put it into the Camaro.
You don't need to throw out a red-herring or straw-man... you stated that less than 1% are affected, and it's fact. I just want you to point me to where you have verified this as fact.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:33 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

You don't need to throw out a red-herring or straw-man... you stated that less than 1% are affected, and it's fact. I just want you to point me to where you have verified this as fact.
Here ya go!
Originally Posted by jvp View Post

I had a chance to chat with one of the engineers at Carlisle about this specific issue. The discussion was fairly focused, and out of it I got the following points (paraphrasing, so forgive me here) ...•It sounds like it's affecting a reasonably small number of '09, '10, and '11 Z06s. It's not the cause of any issues that have popped up with the LS7 in prior MYs.
•GM discovered the problem through their cylinder head warranty data; it went from nearly 0 to a peak of 6.5 problems per thousand engines
6.5 problems per 1000. You can do the math. LESS THAN 1%.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:42 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

If I had the LS3, that is an engine I would Mod. And I did.

I did not and would not mod the LS7. As it was not the best block to do so.
Deflection and/or redirection is not an answer to the question. Fail.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:43 PM
nuke61
Drifting

That's fantastic, thank you! So, will my LS7 be one of the 1% that fail, or will it be in the 99% that haven't as of 2011 or 2012? How will I know?
Old 06-22-2017, 01:52 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Deflection and/or redirection is not an answer to the question. Fail.

It is not deflection when I am stating fact. I would not mod the LS7. If you leave it stock less than 1% of engines had guide issues. Those are odds any human being would take in almost any scenario. So I did not mod my LS7. So you tell me, what mods would you do or have you done?
Old 06-22-2017, 01:55 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

That's fantastic, thank you! So, will my LS7 be one of the 1% that fail, or will it be in the 99% that haven't as of 2011 or 2012? How will I know?
Outside of our family and loved ones, those are odds anyone would take in any scenario. LOL
So do what you feel is best. But I rolled the dice on my 99% and left my engine stock and drove it like I stole it for 45K miles. As have 99% of Z06 owners who left the engine untouched.
If you are going to heavily mod the engine then by all means check them while you are messing around in there.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:19 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

It is not deflection when I am stating fact. I would not mod the LS7. If you leave it stock less than 1% of engines had guide issues. Those are odds any human being would take in almost any scenario. So I did not mod my LS7. So you tell me, what mods would you do or have you done?

You did not answer the question. You deflected, and now you are redirecting. It was a specific question to a specific statement that you made.

What I do has nothing to do with the question I posed to you.

Your 1% is also in error. There is no way in hell the sample you are quoting is an accurate reflection of the population. Bone up on your statistics studies before you make yourself look even more foolish than you already have. Might as well bone up on your critical reading skills while you are it.

I have no intention of arguring with you any further. You proved my point, and you don't even know it.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:25 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=Michael_D;1594998622]You did not answer the question. You deflected, and now you are redirecting. It was a specific question to a specific statement that you made.

Your 1% is also in error. There is no way in hell the sample you are quoting is an accurate reflection of the population. Bone up on your statistics studies before you make yourself look even more foolish than you already have. Might as well bone up on your critical reading skills while you are it.

I have no intention of arguring with you any further. You proved my point, and you don't even know it.

It is in error huh? I just posted FACT that it was less than 1% of stock LS7's that had issues. .65% if you want to get technical.
Or do the engineers over at Carlisle really not know anything???? Man, how do they stay in business??
But I guess I am just too stupid for you to understand that? Wait, did I deflect or redirect again? LOL
Glad I could help in proving your point.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:43 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 361 Posts

You did not answer the question. You deflected, and now you are redirecting. It was a specific question to a specific statement that you made.

It is in error huh? I just posted FACT that it was less than 1% of stock LS7's that had issues. .65% if you want to get technical.
Or do the engineers over at Carlisle really not know anything???? Man, how do they stay in business??
But I guess I am just too stupid for you to understand that? Wait, did I deflect or redirect again? LOL
Glad I could help in proving your point.
That's only the one's that came back to the dealerships where the engine actually blew while it was under warranty.

These aren't Honda Accords...MOST people put very low miles on these cars, and either don't even know if their car would fail the wiggle test (ticking time bomb) or had issues after the warranty expired and didn't take it back to a dealer.

But most of all, there is no guarantee that quote is legit. It's just some word of mouth quote from a conversation. Also, GM has motivation to want to downplay the issue.

Last edited by kbreese; 06-22-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:58 PM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

Here ya go!

I had a chance to chat with one of the engineers at Carlisle about this specific issue. The discussion was fairly focused, and out of it I got the following points (paraphrasing, so forgive me here) ...•It sounds like it's affecting a reasonably small number of '09, '10, and '11 Z06s. It's not the cause of any issues that have popped up with the LS7 in prior MYs.
•GM discovered the problem through their cylinder head warranty data; it went from nearly 0 to a peak of 6.5 problems per thousand engines
6.5 problems per 1000. You can do the math. LESS THAN 1%.
Staying neutral...this is not a fact.

It's a statement that cannot be confirmed or denied.

My OPINION is; why would GM state openly that there is an issue? They have everything to lose by doing so.

No doubt you got 45K miles on your Z. I am in no position to debate. But the fact is there have been multiple owners, outside of the years denoted, that have had issues.

The fact is; there have been multiple owners on this site that have documented their issues.

The fact is; GM has warranted the replacement of these motors and stated the issue was "in fact" valve guide failure. You can argue that there is no way to prove it thou.

My fact!; my 2013 427 with 5K miles had all but one valve guide out of spec. All stock...not 1 mod.

Arguementative; most 427 owners take either precautionary measure to have the issue resolved, do nothing to resolve and or have no issues, or had an issue...it's a gamble. Regardless, there is no way you could every relate this to a %.

Modification is a mute point as most will have valves and guides work done as part of the mod.

What I am saying is; you cannot come up with a failure %. And again, if you believe GM is giving accurate info on that...well, you are entitled.

Last edited by MH663; 06-22-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:07 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Here ya go!

I had a chance to chat with one of the engineers at Carlisle about this specific issue.
The reason why I thanked you earlier, is because your reliance on rumor as the basis of your claim that it's fact shows that your critical thinking skills are seriously lacking. I don't have any idea what percentage of LS7 are or are not affected, and the only fact we know is that you don't either. The only thing that GM, via a spokesperson said, is that a small percentage of LS7s was affected. However, keep in mind this is the same GM that resulted in the following, resulting in at least 13 DEATHS before GM admitted fault in 2014:

In agreeing to the settlement with the U.S. Department of Transportation, GM admitted it delayed fixing ignitions that could sudden switch off in Chevy Cobalts, Saturn Ions and several other models, a problem linked to at least 13 deaths. GM has started fixing the vehicles after issuing its first recall in January, more than a decade after engineers first heard of complaints about the part.

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie with LS7 Questions

Old 06-22-2017, 05:11 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

The reason why I thanked you earlier, is because your reliance on rumor as the basis of your claim that it's fact shows that your critical thinking skills are seriously lacking. I don't have any idea what percentage of LS7 are or are not affected, and the only fact we know is that you don't either. The only thing that GM, via a spokesperson said, is that a small percentage of LS7s was affected. However, keep in mind this is the same GM that resulted in the following, resulting in at least 13 DEATHS before GM admitted fault in 2014:

In agreeing to the settlement with the U.S. Department of Transportation, GM admitted it delayed fixing ignitions that could sudden switch off in Chevy Cobalts, Saturn Ions and several other models, a problem linked to at least 13 deaths. GM has started fixing the vehicles after issuing its first recall in January, more than a decade after engineers first heard of complaints about the part.
Just because you choose to say it is a rumor is your choice. I choose to say it is a fact and a pretty compelling argument. I respect everyone's opinion and was just sharing my first hand experience.
It is not 99% I would bet money it is damn high. If you don't mod the engine it is just as bullet proof as the other LS's. But again, my 2 cents. Which did not seem to be too popular. And I am good with that, what fun would it be if we all agreed.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:37 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Just because you choose to say it is a rumor is your choice. I choose to say it is a fact and a pretty compelling argument.
It's not a compelling argument at all, because what you're relying on is nothing but a rumor. The only thing that GM has said, on the record, is that it's a small number - whatever that's supposed to mean.

This is the same GM that refused to admit there was a problem with ignition switches, even after several people DIED as a result of a faulty ignitions switch. The same GM that didn't admit fault until it was taken to court and facts came out that proved their position was wrong.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:41 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

It's not a compelling argument at all, because what you're relying on is nothing but a rumor. The only thing that GM has said, on the record, is that it's a small number - whatever that's supposed to mean.

This is the same GM that refused to admit there was a problem with ignition switches, even after several people DIED as a result of a faulty ignitions switch. The same GM that didn't admit fault until it was taken to court and facts came out that proved their position was wrong.
Because you choose to say their info is faulty does not make it so. If that's your only argument you could point to any company and say the same thing. Does not make your argument any stronger.
According to you no one should every buy a C6 Z06 without checking the guides. Sheesh.
But guess what, the majority of owners have never heard of this is issue and have never had an issue. Me being a part of that majority. Are you going to tell me next I am lying or just got lucky?

Quick Reply: Newbie with LS7 Questions