Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Newbie with LS7 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 12:09 AM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I did a statistical analysis once (see my prior posts). It was something like, with 30,000 z06s as a population, to get within +/- 10% accuracy we need a sample size of like 4 or 5 hundred cars. So if you look at the out of spec registry thread below, and it's sister thread the in-spec registry, there were 200 out of spec and about 25 in spec.

So my statistics are a bit rusty, but I think I could say with about 100 percent confidence that at least half of them are f'd up.

also, there was a helpful member here who used to keep a record of all the ls7 failures, see his old posts. He had about 35 dropped valve cases documented in his spreadsheet. That was years ago.

Another statistical analysis I did was on the mileage distribution...I concluded that the z06 population was not accumulating mileage very fast, in fact we wouldn't see most failures for years.

Guess what? Gm concluded the same thing. They'll be out of warranty before they pop, so as long as nobody spins into a semi on the interstate, we don't have to do a recall. Lol there have been two fires posted due to dropped valves with pictures.

So believe it or not, 6.5 failures per thousand may have been a true statement at one point in time, say, when the vast majority of all the ls7 had less than 20k miles. But what will the failure rate be when they've all had a 100k miles?

Hopefully it will be a lot lower because of people being proactive on this forum.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3386141-the-out-of-spec-guide-wear-registry.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3385533-the-in-spec-guide-wear-registry.html
The following users liked this post:
MTPZ06 (06-26-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 12:19 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by rockinSeat
I did a statistical analysis once (see my prior posts). It was something like, with 30,000 z06s as a population, to get within +/- 10% accuracy we need a sample size of like 4 or 5 hundred cars. So if you look at the out of spec registry thread below, and it's sister thread the in-spec registry, there were 200 out of spec and about 25 in spec.

So my statistics are a bit rusty, but I think I could say with about 100 percent confidence that at least half of them are f'd up.

also, there was a helpful member here who used to keep a record of all the ls7 failures, see his old posts. He had about 35 dropped valve cases documented in his spreadsheet. That was years ago.

Another statistical analysis I did was on the mileage distribution...I concluded that the z06 population was not accumulating mileage very fast, in fact we wouldn't see most failures for years.

Guess what? Gm concluded the same thing. They'll be out of warranty before they pop, so as long as nobody spins into a semi on the interstate, we don't have to do a recall. Lol there have been two fires posted due to dropped valves with pictures.

So believe it or not, 6.5 failures per thousand may have been a true statement at one point in time, say, when the vast majority of all the ls7 had less than 20k miles. But what will the failure rate be when they've all had a 100k miles?

Hopefully it will be a lot lower because of people being proactive on this forum.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-registry.html

Excellent post

DH
Old 06-26-2017, 01:41 PM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by rockinSeat

Yes, nicely stated.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:02 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Hard to believe in 2017 that people still drink the 1% Kool-Aid...
Old 06-27-2017, 11:52 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Stupidity does not have an expiration date.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:15 PM
SSmoothZ06
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, newbie here, but I close to buying a 2008 Z06, and I think I got my questions answered.

1. Ask for $2 to $3000 off on the Z06 because they can not verify that the valves have be done and nothing on the carfax show any valve work or replacement.

2. Don't buy the GM replacement heads they are the same.

3. Or have them check every couple of years for wear.

4. Don't argue with Notreokc or Nuke61 and Michael D.

Last edited by SSmoothZ06; 06-27-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:27 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Pretty close. Carfax doesn't show maintenance. Put Notreokc on ignore, so you don't have to see his stuff. Don't buy anything from GM unless you have too, and checking every couple of years just depends on setup. If it is a big cam aggressive setup, yep.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:50 AM
SSmoothZ06
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, I've looked at a total 5 Z06's and 2 have had there motors replaced under 50,000 miles.

don't know the circumstance of what the reason was.

Here is another:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6176939646.html
Old 07-07-2017, 01:56 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 125 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by kbreese
This sadly comes down to one thing: As painstakingly as everyone has tried...Sometimes you just can't fix stupid.
As everyone has tried huh? Tried what? To prove your opinion is right and mine is wrong? If not jumping on the bandwagon is stupid I'd prefer that over joining the masses.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:01 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

So you want to tell me your stats? I would love to hear them. With roughly 7K Z's made a year for 8 years, give or take each model year that is about ~56K LS7's made.
How many needed to be replaced? How many blew up? If it is not 1%, what is it? 2%? 5%
Please enlighten me. Because that is still 95% that had zero issues. Including mine. Do you not like those odds?

Last edited by NotreOkc; 07-07-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:03 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Stupidity does not have an expiration date.
Jumping on that bandwagon is pretty easy huh? Some might call that stupid or simple minded.
I'll reside with the ~95% (give or take, since my 1% is apparently ludacris) that never had an issue including me.
That 2-3K you are going to spend on fixing this HUGE issue, I put in the bank and towards my ZR1. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:17 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by NotreOkc
So you want to tell me your stats? I would love to hear them. With roughly 7K Z's made a year for 8 years, give or take each model year that is about 57K LS7's made.
How many needed to be replaced? How many blew up? If it is not 1%, what is it? 2%? 5%
Please enlighten me. Because that is still 95% that had zero issues. Including mine. Do you not like those odds?
Once again, proving you need to go back and do some homework...because your production numbers are WAY off. The information is out there and easily accessible...you just appear to be unwilling to do any sort of fact checking.

I don't wish to enlighten you on anything; go on believing what you want...matters little to me.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:27 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Once again, proving you need to go back and do some homework...because your production numbers are WAY off. The information is out there and easily accessible...you just appear to be unwilling to do any sort of fact checking.

I don't wish to enlighten you on anything; go on believing what you want...matters little to me.
Ok, I can admit my first search gave me some bad data. How's ~28K produced. Either way, my opinion stands. Take whatever % you want. 90%, 95%.....no issues. Including me. I pocketed the 2-3K and left my engine alone. I'll take those percentages. Have a good one.

Quick Reply: Newbie with LS7 Questions