Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Where is my oil going? 2006 Z06

Old 06-20-2017, 07:53 PM
1fast97gsx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David@MMS
lets see some pictures of the set up

pcv is one of 3 places you can internally lose oil, it sounds like it is contributing to your loss at a minimum.
Here are some pictures. The fitting on the passenger valve cover has a hose that normally runs from there to the air intake tube which I just haven't reinstalled on the car. The brass T fitting is the drivers side valve cover line connecting to the valley pan breather and the intake manifold fitting.

Last edited by 1fast97gsx; 02-10-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:28 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

yea you definitely cannot do that

in stock configuration the valley plate and only the valley plate can connect to the intake manifold. it is in charge of pcv flow regulation

unregulated pcv flow among other things will skyrocket pcv oil consumption

if you are going to run a stock pcv system the hoses must be oriented as stock
Old 06-20-2017, 10:28 PM
1fast97gsx
Instructor

yea you definitely cannot do that

in stock configuration the valley plate and only the valley plate can connect to the intake manifold. it is in charge of pcv flow regulation

unregulated pcv flow among other things will skyrocket pcv oil consumption

if you are going to run a stock pcv system the hoses must be oriented as stock
I checked the installation manual for the engine and unless there's something I'm misunderstanding my car appears to be set up correctly. Here is a screenshot of it, what do you think?

Old 06-21-2017, 01:43 AM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 393 Posts

I agree with dave... You have hooked up the PCV vacuum source on the motor(the valley plate/throttle body) to the drivers side valve cover. That vacuum is sucking oil out of the valve cover. Your other valve cover(passenger side) is acting as the fresh air inlet of the system.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:13 AM
1fast97gsx
Instructor

Am I reading the instructions wrong or is there a mistake in the screenshot I attached from gm?
Old 06-21-2017, 09:40 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

it is technically plausible they have it figured out and intentional, but it is absolutely unusual.

all production cars use one or the other, but not both; only one pcv valve or pcv orifice connected to the intake manifold.

it would be nice to ask someone at gm to confirm, but unlikely to get anyone on the phone with any comprehension at all of a pcv system

since you have a consumption problem, dropping to 1 is no harm and an excellent place to start looking for improvement. (cap off the other)

another great test is to verify that the driver cover is indeed restricted like they say it is. i have not seen this on any of the GMPP valve covers. here is what it looks like in a most factory covers.

I am also still wondering where your dry sump tank is for all of this. it is, or should be tied to the system for proper function.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:52 AM
1fast97gsx
Instructor

So you're saying for testing I can just run the valley pan fitting to the intake manifold, passenger valve cover to air intake pipe and cap off the drivers valve cover? Dry sump tank is removed since the car no longer uses a dry dump setup with this motor.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:29 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

yes and if not thrown away your OEM part would be direct fit

of course there will still be oil through this line, hopefully less!

a catch can always a good idea if you want to reduce this further.
#mmsolutions
Six time NMCA True Street Champions

Home of the first Twin Turbo C7Z 7.81 @ 176
3470# Stock bottom end and heads Corvette Stock Bottom End Record Holder
Old 06-21-2017, 10:41 AM
1fast97gsx
Instructor

yes and if not thrown away your OEM part would be direct fit

of course there will still be oil through this line, hopefully less!

a catch can always a good idea if you want to reduce this further.
I appreciate all your help! So out of the valve covers I should hardly get any oil correct? I was thinking of running both valve covers to an externally vented catch can so I can monitor how much oil that collects and just capping off the fitting on the air intake pipe. Then just hooking the valley pan line to the intake manifold like you have pictured maybe even with a sealed catch can inline to monitor how much that collects. Either way, hooking both valve covers up to fresh air basically shouldn't affect anything in a negative way right?
Old 06-21-2017, 11:20 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

there are lots of ways to do it with catch cans, some better than others of course.

if you are maf tuned then you need to source fresh air after it has been measured by the maf vs. atmosphere (or at a minimum you will need to tune around it)
Old 06-30-2017, 11:43 PM
1fast97gsx
Instructor

update:

I just got the car back together and put a few miles on it. I replaced the valve seals and also redid the pcv system by running both valve covers to a catch can and running the valley pan fitting back to the intake manifold. Only 10 miles on it so far but they were hard higher rpm miles with no issues. Will update again once I have about 500 or so miles on it. Any thoughts on pcv setup or other recommendations at this time? Thanks!!

Last edited by 1fast97gsx; 02-10-2018 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:56 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

you may notice some startup idle decel or light throttle characteristics change and or throw a SES light since you are sourcing pcv air from that breather can vs. the barb at the air bridge after the MAF sensor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where is my oil going? 2006 Z06