Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Harmonic Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:22 PM
murf257
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Harmonic Vibration

I need your help, while driving my Z06 with brand new tires, Michelin SS Pilot non-run flats, I get a harmonic vibration in the car. It seems to always be there but worse at 76 mph and up.

It hard to describe but its doesn't affect the steering wheel so I believe its in the rear. Its not a constant vibration but is more rhythmic in the sensation.

I don't know how else to describe it.

I know it wasn't there before the new tires, lug nuts and locks. It certainly wasn't there before I dropped an intake valve.

Your thoughts?
Old 06-21-2017, 10:16 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Recheck all lugs. Ensure they are torqued to 100 lb-ft. Check pressure in all tires. Should be 30-32psi cold. Were the new tires road force balanced when mounted to the wheels? There could be run-out. Simply means either the tire and/or wheel is not "perfectly" round. What are the road force balance numbers for each wheel and tire? I always have them write it on each tire when I have them mounted. There are tires that come brand new from Michelin that are off. Anything over 20# I send back for a free replacement. There are also variations in sidewall stiffness throughout the tire that can cause an imbalance. Sometimes a roadforce balance can't even cure it, but it can generally correct for runout. All of these things can contribute to your harmonics being off. Have you had the car aligned?

Sometimes it is simply road noise and caused by the surface of the road interacting with the tire tread. Does it happen on all/any roads?

Other things can cause this (driveshaft, bent wheel etc), but I would start with the tires as they were the recent change. Check lugs, check pressure, check alignment and have them roadforce balanced. It will tell you if there is a problem and can possibly correct it.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:22 PM
tdeweese
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by murf257
I need your help, while driving my Z06 with brand new tires, Michelin SS Pilot non-run flats, I get a harmonic vibration in the car. It seems to always be there but worse at 76 mph and up.

It hard to describe but its doesn't affect the steering wheel so I believe its in the rear. Its not a constant vibration but is more rhythmic in the sensation.

I don't know how else to describe it.

I know it wasn't there before the new tires, lug nuts and locks. It certainly wasn't there before I dropped an intake valve.

Your thoughts?
I had the same problem with my car for almost a year before I change (3) things that helped the problem until I finally got it 100%. First check your rear inner tie rod for movement by jacking up the rear of the car and grabbing the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock should be no movement if so replace inner or out tie rod. My inner was loose and my car only has 8000 miles on it. Second get the printout of your tire balance must use road force balancing and be under 10lbs of runout on each tire. Look for a Hunter 9700 tire machine. Use website for Hunter and enter your zip code to find a tire store or GM dealer who has one. Last have a (4) wheel alignment done; all the parameters should be roughly in the middle of FE4 suspension range (for the street), important they are very even from left to right as well. Like I said I fought this for almost a year drove me crazy, hated the car for it and now love driving it again!! Just came back from a run up to 130mph and smooth....good luck
Old 06-21-2017, 11:19 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

sounds like a bum tire of balance job.
It started right after you bought them correct?
Old 06-22-2017, 11:55 PM
murf257
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes, right after the new tires

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic Vibration

Quick Reply: Harmonic Vibration