Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 Newbie.. Looking to buy asap but have a few questions PLEASE Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 12:45 PM
DeJays Saleen
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 Newbie.. Looking to buy asap but have a few questions PLEASE Help

Ok, I'm coming to you all as a noob and need advise. I'm ready to find my dream C6 Z06. But have questions I need to ask before making an offer on one. Any and all advise will be GREATLY appreciated! First and prob. most importantly... heads? I've heard the LS7's have a known issue that GM isn't covering? What questions do I need to ask when buying a C6Z? Any difference between the years? I saw a post on here where a guy was looking for either a 06, 08, 09 ect... but not 2007... any reason why? I really want to find a really really nice one, low miles, not beat to hell, not heavily modded. Please help educate me on finding my dream car!
Old 06-23-2017, 01:00 PM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

You are going to get multiple answers but here's the easy way to address. REGARDLESS of year, ask if the heads have been addressed? Period, simple, end of discussion. If they haven't...plan on spending the money to at the least have them checked if not fixed. If you can do the work yourself it will be around 2K ti fix by the time you buy the gaskets, oils, head bolts, different springs if you go that route, etc. There is also a TSB on the slave cylinder. Other than going thru the usual motions of buying a used car, and telling you to buy the latest year to can afford, that's about it.

Last edited by MH663; 06-23-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:07 PM
DeJays Saleen
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what does " fixed " include? Like if I want to see receipts what should I be looking for was done. How much will it cost me if I take it somewhere and have it done? What can happen if you don't get this fixed?
Old 06-23-2017, 01:23 PM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Fixed means fixed...not fixed means there is the potential for a valve failure. The concentricity of the valve guide to valve seat can be off. This could cause a hour glass type wear and movement of the valve which could lead to a stuck valve, bent valve, broken spring, bent rod, broken rod or catastrophic failure.

There are plenty of threads on this. Google and read them. By the time I type everything you can have read all of it.

Yes, you would want to see receipts. Probably 3-3.5K total including labor to have someone fix it for you. Hard to guess since you don't list you location.

Nothing might happen and something might happen. Some will say there is no issue, others will say there is. It would be up to you to determine that. Mine 2013 with 5K miles had all but one valve guide out of spec which is where it all starts!

Last edited by MH663; 06-23-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:23 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by DeJays Saleen
So what does " fixed " include? Like if I want to see receipts what should I be looking for was done. How much will it cost me if I take it somewhere and have it done? What can happen if you don't get this fixed?
Spend a few minutes searching this forum. All of your questions are asked frequently.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:02 PM
Gearpuller
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Some early 2007 models had a bad supply of rocker arms otherwise no different than any other year model. Just ask if they know if the head/valve guide issue has been addressed. If not than figure S1500-2000 to fix yourself or pay $3000+ for someone else to do it.
If you have not owned a vette before other things to look for are cracked rocker panels and where the door hinges attach to the body for cracks. These would be caused by someone not lifting the car properly/ opening a door and the wind taking it out of your hand.

Last edited by Gearpuller; 06-23-2017 at 02:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DeJays Saleen (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 02:28 PM
MH663
Burning Brakes

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...questions.html
Old 06-28-2017, 01:06 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Before spending anything first locate a Z06 that'll float your boat, won't be hard as theyre all beautiful.
Take VIN to any GM dealer, ask for a GMVIS, a free service.
GMVIS lists everything done while covered under orig B2B.
Learn its history via GM.

Remember dealer visits aren't bad per se. Routine maint, recalls and/or things like loose axle nuts/end links are all small potatoes and really fairly normal as Corvettes in general go.
Look for repeated visits for same issue, avoid any car w/ such a track record. Implies lemon and/or weird issue even GM couldn't find/fix so owner(s) flipped it.

If desired car passes VIS test, buy it.
Next step's taking it to a good HP shop, ideally specializing in LS series & specifically LS7. Pay them a few bucks to check valve integrity, any excess valve stem movement implies worn guide(s), ie, out-of-spec and a rebuild's needed.
*Most shops waive head inspection cost IF they get rebuild business.

Be picky who does the rebuild, what's used etc.
CF has a couple excellent shops specilizing in LS7 head rebuilds using various types of material for guides. AHP comes to mind.
Pricing varies w/ guid material, special valves, springs etc & you choose what to use based on your wallet.
Most builders will provide options as well as head swaps where rebuilt heads are shipped now & you send back cores. Car's down minimal time & LS7 owners love the plan, so make use of it if needed.

-OR-

Get newest MY you can swing and buy a GMEPP warranty.
We've another excellent forum sponsor, Dennis or Ken Fictner, who've easily the best prices around.
*GMEPP requires vehicle be GM w/ <120K and 10 years old or less.
So, 2007's last year for a GMEPP, depending on in-service date.

Here's the thing: Motor must be left stock. No tune. No headers. Stock means stock and GM will know if tune was once changed & then changed back. OK?
Don't risk being denied coverage if you do need it because your LS7 fragged and you thought GM could be outfoxed.

I drive an '08. Bought new untitled in 03/09 & because I live in the sticks/BF Egypt do not have access to a competent shop so I'm currently covered w/ GMEPP. But before, it was 2 GMPPs.
GMEPP's owned by GM as opposed to GMPP which is owned by an outfit called Ally, IIRC. Ally was GM's financial arm pre-08 but was split off during bankrupcy and now it's own company.
Both good though, personally prefer doinng business w/ GM. YMMV

Salient point is: it's either one or the other, rebuild or warranty.
Anything else is at your own risk.
Price out a new LS7 installed, understand the gravity of the matter. Replacement LS7s are not cheap.

C6 Z06 is an amazing piece of engineering, goes like snot [read: great passing power ] or when just cruising get 28 MPG.
Either way there's all the creature comforts one could ask of a car that'll run w/ the biggest dogs all day long. Just can't top that.
G/L
Old 06-28-2017, 05:20 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by DeJays Saleen
Ok, I'm coming to you all as a noob and need advise. I'm ready to find my dream C6 Z06. But have questions I need to ask before making an offer on one. Any and all advise will be GREATLY appreciated! First and prob. most importantly... heads? I've heard the LS7's have a known issue that GM isn't covering? What questions do I need to ask when buying a C6Z? Any difference between the years? I saw a post on here where a guy was looking for either a 06, 08, 09 ect... but not 2007... any reason why? I really want to find a really really nice one, low miles, not beat to hell, not heavily modded. Please help educate me on finding my dream car!
The C6z06/LS7 is a great platform once you get the heads squared away. Our basic "Package 4" cylinder head rework starts at just $1,358 (plus shipping).

There is not any real difference in years besides a few minor exhaust mods on the 2012's and up and the wheels offered for that year.

Some 2007's had issues with Rocker arm needle bearings falling out. That should not be a reason not to look at/purchase an 07'. You can either:
1) run a set of new stock rockers 2) upgrade the heads to crower roller rockers (machining of the heads required) or upgrade to a set of CHE bronze rocker are trunions/bushings.
We have been installing and running the CHE upgraded rocker arms for years without any issues.

Depending on your price range you should be able to find the C6z06 you seek pretty quickly, possibly even on this forum (in the for sale section).

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/
Old 06-28-2017, 07:51 AM
shane p
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts

If the heads have never been touched I wouldnt waste money getting heads checked, just get them fixed so you dont have to worry about them. Try to get a better deal on the car and use that money to help pay for the heads, some of the head shops have heads ready to go, you buy them change them out and then send them your old ones that way the car isnt setting there for weeks torn apart and its a fairly easy job.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:10 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Heads are a must do... don't listen to the ney sayers...
Old 07-04-2017, 01:40 PM
SSmoothZ06
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the head swaps easy to do? Do just need new gaskets and know the torque specs?
Old 07-04-2017, 02:05 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmoothZ06
Are the head swaps easy to do? Do just need new gaskets and know the torque specs?
Sometimes I just can't believe things people say. This is when you can tell someone is not a gearhead or a DIY guy. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:27 PM
CECoupe
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A few months back I bought a Z06 w/ Z07 package and the heads hadn't been addressed by the previous owner. I spent $4K to have the head work done at a very reputable shop in my area. I would say it was the best piece of mind investment getting the heads done and now I can really enjoy my Z06.
SSmoothZ06 (07-05-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 11:12 AM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SSmoothZ06
Yes. If you have any wrenching ability at all you will be able to make your way thru it. There are several good threads on doing so.

Take your time and don't skip steps. Trying to hurry thru it will only cause you issues. Don't try to do it the "cheap way" either. It amazes me how many people buy a Vette then pinch pennies. Buy the gaskets, tools needed to do the job right. A torque wrench is a must. Getting the alternator bracket off is the hardest part. Its a PIA due to several of the bolt locations.

Other than that...go for it. Otherwise pay to have it done. Peace of mind by doing so.
SSmoothZ06 (07-07-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Newbie.. Looking to buy asap but have a few questions PLEASE Help

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 Newbie.. Looking to buy asap but have a few questions PLEASE Help