Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Melted Rear 02 sensor plugs

Old 06-23-2017, 02:57 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Melted Rear 02 sensor plugs

I recently had a new cam installed and retuned. I drove the car back home 2 hours and it has basically sat in my garage for the past week. I had to switch to my track tires this afternoon and I noticed that there was melted plastic on my garage floor which came from the 02 plugs.

I never had this problem with my previous cam or tune so this leads me to believe that my cats are getting hotter than they previously were and caused this issue.

I took my car to multiple 1/2 mile and 1/4 mile events on my last setup and never had this issue.

What would cause this? Is my Tune off and causing this additional heat in the exhaust.
Attached Images   
Old 06-24-2017, 12:46 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 896 Likes on 685 Posts

Could be running rich causing the cats to get hotter. Did you get your other issues sorted out?
Old 06-24-2017, 08:34 AM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jayyyw
Could be running rich causing the cats to get hotter. Did you get your other issues sorted out?
Not yet, but you have the same theory as I do.

I am installing a Wideband this weekend and I bought HPT Pro from
Pat G. I am counting on Pat to sort out my tune remotely.

I guess that the first course of action is to remove these sensors and turn them off.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:23 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 896 Likes on 685 Posts

Shouldn't have any issue with Pat G. Great thing is, you get support for life. Any change you need or want, he will do for you.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:32 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Anyone know if I can pass an OBD emission inspection if I remove the rear O2 sensors.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:45 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by lamboworld
Anyone know if I can pass an OBD emission inspection if I remove the rear O2 sensors.
If removed properly from the tune, people pass emissions all day, everyday day, twice on Sunday.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:46 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

In my state, the presence of physical emissions components are checked under a "safety" inspection. The emissions test only plugs into the OBD2 port to see if the ECU has ran the necessary emissions tests and they have passed.

I don't think this is a tune issue.. I think the plugs need to be zip tied further away from the cats. They get hot.. and they _need_ to be hot in order to function.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:14 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tech
In my state, the presence of physical emissions components are checked under a "safety" inspection. The emissions test only plugs into the OBD2 port to see if the ECU has ran the necessary emissions tests and they have passed.

I don't think this is a tune issue.. I think the plugs need to be zip tied further away from the cats. They get hot.. and they _need_ to be hot in order to function.
I don't disagree that the plugs are not in an ideal spot. However, I ran my last tune and cam for 4,000 miles with the plugs in the same spot and I never had an issue with them melting. I just changed my cam and tune and the damage that you see happened after a 2 hours of normal driving. The cats have to be getting hotter than before and it can only be because I am running a larger cam or the tune for some reason. It sounds crazy but that is the story.

I am also running larger injectors but I would not think that would be the cause, but who knows.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:29 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

I don't disagree that the plugs are not in an ideal spot. However, I ran my last tune and cam for 4,000 miles with the plugs in the same spot and I never had an issue with them melting. I just changed my cam and tune and the damage that you see happened after a 2 hours of normal driving. The cats have to be getting hotter than before and it can only be because I am running a larger cam or the tune for some reason. It sounds crazy but that is the story.

I am also running larger injectors but I would not think that would be the cause, but who knows.
I wish you luck sorting it out, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:34 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tech
I wish you luck sorting it out, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree.
Thanks I am going to remove them anyways and adjust my tune. I guess that it doesn't really matter why they melted, but I just find it strange that they melted after the recent cam and tune. Who knows.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:25 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default same issue here

Thanks I am going to remove them anyways and adjust my tune. I guess that it doesn't really matter why they melted, but I just find it strange that they melted after the recent cam and tune. Who knows.
I just went through repairing melted cable connections too. Looks as if you are using an aftermarket tunnel plate? If so and your O2 wires were long enough, the connectors could have been at one time on the upper insulated side of your plate. Possibly they slipped down through the hole and got exposed to the cats. Once fixed, they could be shoved upwards and a bit of metal tape could prevent them from dropping down. Just my .02 worth.
The following users liked this post:
reasonable suspicion (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 02:43 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

my plugs are on the inside of the tunnel plate

Get notified of new replies

To Melted Rear 02 sensor plugs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Melted Rear 02 sensor plugs