Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Noting happens when I press the starter button .

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 05:22 PM
wjrive
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Noting happens when I press the starter button .

On my 2010 Z this has happened to me before.

Someone suggested pulling on of the relays ( I don't remember the name) but it had to do with the starter circuitry.

When it happened before someone else suggested it might be the starter... I had a new starter and battery installed and my problems went away for about a year.....Now the same thing is back.

You get in press down the clutch press the start button , the Yellow engine light comes on then everything else goes black then a minute later the gauges lit up then go to zero. and the Yellow Engine light stays on. And No Start .!

I'm going to try another Battery tomorrow ,when I have more time.
Last time seems like a new battery did the trick.........But that was just about a year ago.

I didn't think I'd need anew battery within a year.

Any thoughts ?
Willie

Last edited by wjrive; 06-23-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:55 AM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by wjrive
I didn't think I'd need anew battery within a year.
Any thoughts ?
Willie
Basics... what's the battery voltage? What is it when it's running?
Old 06-24-2017, 10:52 AM
spy2520
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many times do you try to start it? Does it click? And are you comfortable tapping on the starter with something (hammer, 1/2" extension, broom stick, etc) and then trying to start it?

I'm having the same issues but I believe it is a cooked starter. Because i can get mine to start, it just may not start the first 20 times and when it does it sounds a little labored. I have headers so its not so far fetched.

Last edited by spy2520; 06-24-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:16 AM
Turbokraft
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This sounds like a terminal connection problem, check carefully your battery terminals and if ok check their termination points, a blank dash sounds like insufficient current due to corrosion or a loose connection.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:23 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Diagnose first buy parts after. Go to Radio Shack, Lowes or Home Depot and buy a cheap digital volt meter aka multimeter. Set it to DC volts and test battery voltage first. If you have a battery charger, try hooking that up and let it sit for a few hours and try again. Make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight. Somehow safely get under the car so you can get your hands on the wires to the starter to make sure they are tight. If the starter wires are loose, disconnect the battery before putting a wrench on them. The big fat wire has 12 volt+ on it all the time. The little wire off to the side is the signal wire basically from the starter button to tell the starter to turn. It only has 12 volts+ on it when the clutch is depressed and the button pressed. There is way more involved but thats it in a nut shell.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:22 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Have you kept the battery charged?
Old 06-24-2017, 05:06 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

Check the wire that bolts on to the starter.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:45 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

I've seen this problem on here before. Make sure you're pushing the clutch all the way down. I had this screw up also. Floor mat was rolled up underneath the pedal just enough to keep it from engaging the clutch switch.

Last edited by meanjoe; 06-24-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:54 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

^ also make sure the clutch switch is working properly...
Old 06-25-2017, 11:51 AM
wjrive
Instructor

Thanks guys ..Here's what has happened since 2 days ago......

On Saturday I went out and bought a new Battery, an AutoZone Duralast Gold. .... It didn't start on the first push of the button but after a couple of cycles of pressing the button gage lights go off then
back on. then press clutch and button .....Then it started I let it run then shut it off ,Then restarted it again ....

All was good.. I later drove the car out to a store and back home ,no problems . I didn't try to start the car until this morning, Sunday. One day after I put in a new battery and it won't start.....

So now I have the battery/Car on a charger .....

What do, I do next ?

Willie
Old 06-25-2017, 12:05 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Since we're not there..............Was the battery dead? Any of these guys here can help you but only with as much information as you can give us.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:15 PM
wjrive
Instructor

Well what's confusing for me is , When is a Battery Dead ?

Lf it won't start the car, that's dead to me.

But on these cars all the lights (dash) lights come on and gages show , but it still won't start.

After charging the battery for 2 hours ,It still won't start.

This is a new battery barely 24 hrs. old , I should not be having battery problems. .

I had a new High torque mini-starter install last year. They also installed some heat insulation around the starter.
They couldn't use the original terminal for the non-stock starter,,,,
maybe there's a problem there.

These starter problem have been the worst P.I.A. about owning
this car, for me.

P.S... I love it once it starts.

Willie
Old 06-25-2017, 03:09 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

also check the end of the battery cable where it connects to the starter...there have been CF reports of damage to either that end of the cable and/or the parts that make contact with it.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:00 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

But on these cars all the lights (dash) lights come on and gages show , but it still won't start.

This is a new battery barely 24 hrs. old , I should not be having battery problems. .

I had a new High torque mini-starter install last year. They also installed some heat insulation around the starter.
They couldn't use the original terminal for the non-stock starter,,,,
maybe there's a problem there.

These starter problem have been the worst P.I.A. about owning
this car, for me.

P.S... I love it once it starts.

Willie
What you should have done was take your old battery to the place you bought the new one and had it load tested first. That would have confirmed or not the need for a new one and probably saved you from spending money on something that was OK. If it started with a new battery, that only confirms the existing one was low on charge. Could be a bad battery, a draw on the electrical system or a defect in the charging system. Assuming the battery terminals are clean and tight as you just installed it, the next place I would look is the connection at the starter. The + (red) lead from the battery goes directly to the starter. Check that new terminal for tightness to the starter and how that terminal is connected to the wire. Check the connections at the alternator. You did not say what the volt meter on the car was showing while running. That's a big clue.. You'll be really pissed if you keep spending a lot of money and later find a loose wire. like I said earlier, diagnose then spend.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:06 PM
SweetZO6
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I've had this happen about 10 times in the last 2.5 years since I've got the ZR1. It is random and never happens twice in a row. I push on the clutch, relays click, gauges do there thing and the CEL goes out. Push the start button and nothing. Cycle the clutch again and it starts. It could be a sticking or out of adjustment clutch switch. I assume it makes contact when the clutch is FULLY depressed. You might want to pull the carpet down so the clutch hits the bare floor to see if it starts.

Ed
Old 06-25-2017, 11:01 PM
nuke61
Drifting

You really need to learn basic troubleshooting and tools use, or your car might eat all your lunch money. Get an inexpensive digital voltmeter from HomeDepot, Autozone, Amazon, etc. and check your battery voltage. Something like this:
Amazon Amazon

You're right, a new battery should not cause battery problems, except you don't know if you're having a battery problem. The battery could be in great shape, but it's your starter wiring, or it could be the clutch switch, or it could be the starter, or it could be the Start button.
The following users liked this post:
MTPZ06 (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 11:05 PM
wjrive
Instructor

Well I go out this morning, pull the charger off ( it looks fully charged ), I get in press the start button an d it Starts.......

I shut it down and then restart again no problems. Took the car out got gas , no problems. .... Drove around a while then back home.
I shut it down and restarted no problem.

This evening I left the charger off so it will sit overnight under it's
own power. Then I'll try it in the morning to see if the battery drains down.

If it starts in the morning then I can , place blame where my problems and can understand where the source of my problems have been !

Willie

Get notified of new replies

To Noting happens when I press the starter button .

Old 06-26-2017, 11:08 PM
.gearhead.
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 88 Posts

Key fob battery?
Old 06-27-2017, 08:28 AM
nuke61
Drifting

This evening I left the charger off so it will sit overnight under it's own power. Then I'll try it in the morning to see if the battery drains down.

If it starts in the morning then I can , place blame where my problems and can understand where the source of my problems have been !
Willie
How is that going to enable you to understand the source of your car starting problems?
Old 06-27-2017, 09:16 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by nuke61
How is that going to enable you to understand the source of your car starting problems?
you HAVE to know what the voltage is, could be you have a parasitic draw draining the batt some ????

Quick Reply: Noting happens when I press the starter button .