Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

08 Z06 won't pass NY inspection...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 02:44 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 361 Posts

Default 08 Z06 won't pass NY inspection...

Today was my 3rd attempt. They keep saying the monitors are not ready to be read. The first two times they said it's because it hasn't been driven enough. But I drove to PA where it just had baby cam and SD tune done, and other places 9+ hours of driving before taking it this 3rd time. They said it's definitely been driven enough and they don't know what the problem is. This is just an STS, not a vette shop or anything.

Any idea's?

Mods = PRC265 heads, EPS baby cam, Kooks LT's WITH cats, and Haltech intake.

Is there something wrong with the cars computer?
Old 06-25-2017, 04:22 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by kbreese
Today was my 3rd attempt. They keep saying the monitors are not ready to be read. The first two times they said it's because it hasn't been driven enough. But I drove to PA where it just had baby cam and SD tune done, and other places 9+ hours of driving before taking it this 3rd time. They said it's definitely been driven enough and they don't know what the problem is. This is just an STS, not a vette shop or anything.

Any idea's?

No, sometimes they just won't show as ready no matter how many miles you drive.

Your tune however can be tweaked so everything will show as ready without any driving whatsoever. If you or your tuner has access to HP Tuners I can show you how to do it.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:18 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
No, sometimes they just won't show as ready no matter how many miles you drive.

Your tune however can be tweaked so everything will show as ready without any driving whatsoever. If you or your tuner has access to HP Tuners I can show you how to do it.
Damnit, the place that just did the cam install/tune is in PA which is a 4-hour drive for me. I wish I would have known this before hand I would have told them to do what you are saying. They use HPTuners too.

II do have a couple of good local places: Vette Doctors and JTM motorsports, maybe I can take it to one of them to get it straightened out...

Does the fact that my car is on an SD tune cause any conflict with fixing this?
Old 06-25-2017, 09:49 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

It is the tune. They have stuff set so it will never show ready. They need to fix it.

Buy HP tuners, and fix it yourself. Super super super simple. Anyone with a modded car should have a copy anyways.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:50 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

I second the idea that everyone with a modded car should have HPTuners, if for no other reason that you can log the performance of your engine, even if you make no changes.

In this case, you just go in and change the sensors that are causing the problem to stop reporting an error.

Errors that stop the Ready indication.

Change to No Error Reported.
The following users liked this post:
kbreese (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 09:20 AM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Unreal
It is the tune. They have stuff set so it will never show ready. They need to fix it.

Buy HP tuners, and fix it yourself. Super super super simple. Anyone with a modded car should have a copy anyways.
Well I guess both tuners did the same thing, because the first 2 times it failed was with the Wong Performance tune and this 3rd time was with the CSP tune.

As far as buying HP Tuners, is there a specific version or package I need to buy? Do I need a laptop?

Originally Posted by nuke61
I second the idea that everyone with a modded car should have HPTuners, if for no other reason that you can log the performance of your engine, even if you make no changes.

In this case, you just go in and change the sensors that are causing the problem to stop reporting an error.
It's really that simple and it will pass inspection? The inspection station won't know it was tampered with like this, and it won't set off any red flags?

Also, what if there really is a problem that needs to be addressed? I mean the car seems to run fine so I don't think so, but just saying..
Old 06-26-2017, 09:23 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Its already tampered with.

Any version will work, they only sell normal and pro, and you don't need the pro. Yes it needs a laptop, or you can move a computer close enough to the car.
kbreese (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 09:29 AM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Any idea's?

Well I guess both tuners did the same thing, because the first 2 times it failed was with the Wong Performance tune and this 3rd time was with the CSP tune.

As far as buying HP Tuners, is there a specific version or package I need to buy? Do I need a laptop?

It's really that simple and it will pass inspection? The inspection station won't know it was tampered with like this, and it won't set off any red flags?

Also, what if there really is a problem that needs to be addressed? I mean the car seems to run fine so I don't think so, but just saying..
Yes, just watch this video I made a while back:

kbreese (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 10:00 AM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks guys. So it looks like the standard GM package sells everywhere for $499, not that big of a deal but is there anywhere to get it cheaper by any chance?

This one right here, correct?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpt-6011/overview/

And I'll need to buy a cheap laptop too.

Hmm, wondering if I'd be better off just taking it to a local place to have them do it. I wouldn't think they would charge that much, if they already have HPTuners, wouldn't it just take them a few minutes to do this?
Old 06-26-2017, 11:15 AM
nuke61
Drifting

IF all they are doing is plugging in and checking that the computer says everything is good to go, you're golden. I've done this very thing with my (now sold) boosted C5. Several years ago in CA when they were transitioning from the old tailpipe test to the new computer test, they did both. My car would pass the sniffer, but fail Readiness. I turned off only the codes that were set, and it then passed.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:25 AM
nuke61
Drifting

Thanks guys. So it looks like the standard GM package sells everywhere for $499, not that big of a deal but is there anywhere to get it cheaper by any chance?

That's correct, you get the version specific for Ford, GM, or Chrysler. Or you can go to https://www.hptuners.com/

I don't know of any place that sells it at other than $499.

Hmm, wondering if I'd be better off just taking it to a local place to have them do it. I wouldn't think they would charge that much, if they already have HPTuners, wouldn't it just take them a few minutes to do this?
Yes, just a few minutes, but I have no idea what they would charge.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:30 AM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

That one from Summit would be fine to do the updates you'd need. The only possible issue would be that it doesn't have the ability to record analog data from wideband O2s or other custom sensors. If you think you might need that ability, there is a "pro" version that has the inputs. If all you might eventually want is a wideband O2 sensor, there are products that work over the OBDII interface to get around the lack of analog inputs, though.

As far as a laptop, HPTuners is a "light" app so it can run on pretty low-end hardware so there's no need to buy anything fancy. Pretty much any modern Windows laptop with a USB port will be fine.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:37 AM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Dale1990
That one from Summit would be fine to do the updates you'd need. The only possible issue would be that it doesn't have the ability to record analog data from wideband O2s or other custom sensors. If you think you might need that ability, there is a "pro" version that has the inputs. If all you might eventually want is a wideband O2 sensor, there are products that work over the OBDII interface to get around the lack of analog inputs, though.

As far as a laptop, HPTuners is a "light" app so it can run on pretty low-end hardware so there's no need to buy anything fancy. Pretty much any modern Windows laptop with a USB port will be fine.
And if you'd prefer to not have to buy a laptop because this is the only thing you think it'd ever be used for, you could even get away with dragging a desktop computer out to the driveway and running everything with a very long extension cord. I know that sounds kind of extreme, but it would be very doable and save you some money.

As for how much it costs to have a shop do it with your HP Tuners interface, that's a little hard to predict. I've done it for several people for free but there seem to be a lot of shops out there that won't touch your car for anything less than a couple of hundred dollars regardless of what they end up doing.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:30 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

It is worth having no matter what. Just to log, check codes, etc.

Buy it from DSX. Same price everywhere, but he gives support which is priceless.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:49 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Or find a local person with HP tuners, buy them a beer and the credits and be done.

Sad that you have to be out more money to pass emissions as shops should know customers like to pass emissions and it is easy to setup the tune properly to pass.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:53 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Keep an eye on the for sale forum. Someone is always selling a used HPT interface and cable it seems......

Part of the purchase price is the 8 credits that come with it new. You only need two credits, and they run about $50 each.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:35 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Is it possible that it's simply a case of all the driving conditions not met yet for the drive cycle to be met?

Since the cam install tune, it was a 4-hour drive home from PA, did all kinds of driving including stop and go. After getting it home I hadn't driven it until taking it to STS for the inspection, which is 4 mins down the road from me.

But Unreal said they shop has the tune setup so it will never show as ready? Can that be true? I can't imagine they would do that.

Get notified of new replies

To 08 Z06 won't pass NY inspection...

Old 06-26-2017, 02:30 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Contacted CSP (The shop that just did the cam install/tune) and they said making it show as ready would pass you however it disables all the codes to let you know if something like an O2 sensor or EVAP sensor has failed. They like to keep it so that if you have something failing, you will still get a CEL and know there is something to be addressed.

This makes perfect sense to me. In fact I would be upset if they disabled everything just to make sure I pass inspection.

Also, they had no idea I was about to get in inspected. They probably just assume the cycle will be complete whenever I go for inspection. No different then if you have to change your battery.

With disabling stuff thru HP Tuners to get it to pass inspection, I'm assuming you guys turn everything back on after you pass, right?

It seems a sufficient driving cycle should make everything ready...EVENTUALLY. If it for some reason never shows as ready again, then it seems like a problem with the computer and the only way around it is to disable stuff with HPTuners.

So it seems for now I should just keep driving it and/or do the C6 cycle procedure of driving, and it should hopefully put everything ready. Then give it another shot. If that doesn't work that I'll have to resort to forking over cash for HPTuners and a laptop.

Last edited by kbreese; 06-26-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:48 PM
nuke61
Drifting

With disabling stuff thru HP Tuners to get it to pass inspection, I'm assuming you guys turn everything back on after you pass, right?
It all depends on what you turn off, and how comfortable you are with leaving it off. The codes I turned off were Cat efficiency codes, so I just left them off.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:52 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Contacted CSP (The shop that just did the cam install/tune) and they said making it show as ready would pass you however it disables all the codes to let you know if something like an O2 sensor or EVAP sensor has failed. They like to keep it so that if you have something failing, you will still get a CEL and know there is something to be addressed.

This makes perfect sense to me. In fact I would be upset if they disabled everything just to make sure I pass inspection.

Also, they had no idea I was about to get in inspected. They probably just assume the cycle will be complete whenever I go for inspection. No different then if you have to change your battery.

It seems a sufficient driving cycle should make everything ready...EVENTUALLY. If it for some reason never shows as ready again, then it seems like a problem with the computer and the only way around it is to disable stuff with HPTuners.

So it seems for now I should just keep driving it and/or do the C6 cycle procedure of driving, and it should hopefully put everything ready. Then give it another shot. If that doesn't work that I'll have to resort to forking over cash for HPTuners and a laptop.
The easiest thing to do is save your current tune, make the needed modifications in order to pass inspection and then load the original one back in afterwards.

Quick Reply: 08 Z06 won't pass NY inspection...