Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Side exhaust à la LG's GT2 car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 02:55 PM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Side exhaust à la LG's GT2 car?

Does anyone know if this routing (as seen on LG's GT2 C6) is possible on the OEM C6Z frame?

(For a dedicated track car)

I'm trying to cut down as much heat input into the cockpit as possible and getting the exhaust out from under the entire length of the interior cabin would seem to be a substantial first step.

107 degrees at Thunderhill last Fri was just too brutal even with a coolshirt setup. Cockpit ambient temps were over 140 due in a large part to the sheer amount of heat bleeding through from the tunnel and above the rear cradle.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:31 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

It could be done but it would be a hell of a lot of work! I think LG boxes the frames and also added a very beefy cage to help!

Is there no way you could shield the underside better? Maybe coat (inside and outside) and wrap the exhaust as much as possible?
Old 06-26-2017, 01:06 PM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by chuntington101
It could be done but it would be a hell of a lot of work! I think LG boxes the frames and also added a very beefy cage to help!

Is there no way you could shield the underside better? Maybe coat (inside and outside) and wrap the exhaust as much as possible?
Yes, there's certainly more I can do to shield the underside and/or wrap the exhaust. I think you're right re: side exhaust.. there is a ton of the work involved the more I think about it. Relo just about everything next to the exhaust banks on both sides, providing clearance for tires, boxing the frame.. ugh.

FLAG IT
Old 06-26-2017, 03:38 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

There are some pretty fancy heat shielding stuff out there these days. Or you could just use ally and build in an air gap, or even carbon fibre if the are that good! The other option I have seen on a different car was venting air down the tunnel off the front end. However that would only help if you had a flat floor! Lol
Old 06-26-2017, 08:04 PM
MikeOC
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Personally, I would try ceramic coating back to the mufflers and adding some extra heat shielding first. I think they make premade pieces for the tunnel. So much less work. If it's not good enough you could always sell the ceramic coated headers and shielding pretty easy.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:39 AM
Flyr282
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a set of LG long tubes with X pipe and I had them both ceramic coated. That eliminated almost all of the heat coming into the cabin. Just make sure to insulate the starter. Took about two months to cook mine and have it fail.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:51 AM
MikeOC
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyr282
I have a set of LG long tubes with X pipe and I had them both ceramic coated. That eliminated almost all of the heat coming into the cabin. Just make sure to insulate the starter. Took about two months to cook mine and have it fail.
You needed extra heat shielding on the starter post ceramic coating? I had my headers on the car for about 5k miles before ceramic coating and they are about to go back on the car coated so I'm curious.

Get notified of new replies

To Side exhaust à la LG's GT2 car?

Quick Reply: Side exhaust à la LG's GT2 car?