Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Dyno Results - RPM B3 / Mamo MSD / Flex Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 03:15 PM
Creamo3
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jayyyw
Good ****.. There's a few B3 cars in my area that I want to run. See what all the hype is about.
I'm looking to run some local C6Z's to see how this setup fairs. I'm particularly interested in running the Lumberjack Z that has the high-ram intake to see how it does. I would be happy with 136+ mph in the 1/4 and 165+ in the 1/2.

Originally Posted by Brandon619
Nice results
Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Frans96ss (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 04:14 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Creamo3
I'm looking to run some local C6Z's to see how this setup fairs. I'm particularly interested in running the Lumberjack Z that has the high-ram intake to see how it does. I would be happy with 136+ mph in the 1/4 and 165+ in the 1/2.

Thanks!

You will EASILY do 136+
Old 07-10-2017, 05:21 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 896 Likes on 685 Posts

Thanks!
He doesn't have a high ram. He has a single plane intake with a 90 degree elbow up top. I believe he is about to test out a Holley Sniper intake in the next day or two.

That will be a good run. A local guy here in Austin edged him out at TK2k this year.

I haven't seen, in person, how well that B3 can perform. It's pretty much the gold standard now. I hope to run one of the B3 cars this weekend and the other should be out soon. Also planning to run a BTR Stage 4 car to see how my little BTR 3 car does.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:37 PM
Creamo3
Racer

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
You will EASILY do 136+
I figured I was being conservative, but I would rather underestimate and be happy with the results. I going to look to drop some weight from the car next and maybe a 3.90 gear if they become available.

He doesn't have a high ram. He has a single plane intake with a 90 degree elbow up top. I believe he is about to test out a Holley Sniper intake in the next day or two.

That will be a good run. A local guy here in Austin edged him out at TK2k this year.

I haven't seen, in person, how well that B3 can perform. It's pretty much the gold standard now. I hope to run one of the B3 cars this weekend and the other should be out soon. Also planning to run a BTR Stage 4 car to see how my little BTR 3 car does.
I've been following his testing and think it will be a good race. I'm not sure what the Lumberjack cam specs are, but he's running higher compression than me. We're planning on lining up at the next 1/2 mile race in the fall. I would be curious to see how your car fares as well against the B3 & BTR car assuming they have all supporting mods. What sort of power are you putting down / track times?
Old 07-12-2017, 07:20 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

I've been following his testing and think it will be a good race. I'm not sure what the Lumberjack cam specs are, but he's running higher compression than me. We're planning on lining up at the next 1/2 mile race in the fall. I would be curious to see how your car fares as well against the B3 & BTR car assuming they have all supporting mods. What sort of power are you putting down / track times?
He mentioned that his cam is in the middle of a BTR3 and BTR4.

The B3 and BTR4 are full bolt on/heads/cam cars running e85. So it will be a close comparison.

I put down 580/545. ~12.5 compression, e85, BTR3 cam
Best trap is 133 in 3000+ DA, spinning first gear.

B3 car trapped 131 the same day and put down around ~620/550 on the same dyno.

I think BTR4 car puts down around 630/640 on a different dyno.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:05 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Awesome results and great looking car! That's awesome that you included several dyno graphs. I've been on the VR dyno and it always bugged me that they insist on STD numbers. Might as well be roll racing 1/2 mile speeds.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:16 PM
Creamo3
Racer

Originally Posted by Josh B.
Awesome results and great looking car! That's awesome that you included several dyno graphs. I've been on the VR dyno and it always bugged me that they insist on STD numbers. Might as well be roll racing 1/2 mile speeds.
Thank you, you have an impressive build as well. I'm happy to share any data with the community to help others out. I think we both know why VR uses STD correction... my car put down 633whp/548wtq in STD
Old 07-14-2017, 01:44 PM
Z06Qazi
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Awesome numbers man !! B3 FTW - Got the same cam , RPM did the car made 642whp... car drives so well !
Old 07-14-2017, 01:49 PM
Z06Qazi
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
You will EASILY do 136+
Yup my car trapped 136mph - Stock intake manifold / stock TB / stock clutch on 19" wheels with the B3 cam ...
Old 07-16-2017, 09:12 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

The B3 and BTR4 are full bolt on/heads/cam cars running e85. So it will be a close comparison.

So, this didn't happen. Track prep was horrible. No one was getting any kind of traction. My best trap speed was 135.9mph, starting at about 35mph, over the 1/4mi. B3 car trapped low 130's and the BTR4 car didn't show up.

Tried to set something up last night but started to rain early in the afternoon.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:21 PM
Creamo3
Racer

Originally Posted by Z06Qazi
Awesome numbers man !! B3 FTW - Got the same cam , RPM did the car made 642whp... car drives so well !
That's big power for stock intake and the MPH to back it up

So, this didn't happen. Track prep was horrible. No one was getting any kind of traction. My best trap speed was 135.9mph, starting at about 35mph, over the 1/4mi. B3 car trapped low 130's and the BTR4 car didn't show up.

Tried to set something up last night but started to rain early in the afternoon.
That's a solid trap speed, with better weather you're only going to go faster
Old 07-16-2017, 08:18 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 122 Posts

I am getting ready to switch from the B3 to BTR4 and will get some pulls on the same dyno for a comparison. I will share the results around the end of the month.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:50 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lamboworld
I am getting ready to switch from the B3 to BTR4 and will get some pulls on the same dyno for a comparison. I will share the results around the end of the month.
Were you not able to correct your driveability issues with the B3? Seems odd. My tuner has the B3 in his car and it's very easy to drive. Actually, his wife daily drives the vette with the B3 in it. They had a BTR 4 in it prior to the B3 and the B3 made more power. The BTR cam also started to pit and wear within one oil change cycle.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:23 AM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Were you not able to correct your driveability issues with the B3? Seems odd. My tuner has the B3 in his car and it's very easy to drive. Actually, his wife daily drives the vette with the B3 in it. They had a BTR 4 in it prior to the B3 and the B3 made more power. The BTR cam also started to pit and wear within one oil change cycle.
The B3 drives like I expect it would in low gears and low rpm's. However, I cannot get this cam to not surge in higher gears unless the rpm's are over 2200 and sometimes higher. I have talked to multiple people with the BTR4 that doesn't surge in cruise mode at 1600 rpm and I have ridden in a BTR3 car and it just simply doesn't surge like the B3. I have worked with a very good tuner locally and a nationally known tuner and the surge at 2200 in 5th or 6th gear remains. It is not horrible but enough for me to want to change. I am still looking for the right cam combination so hopefully this will be it.

Last edited by lamboworld; 07-17-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:39 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

The B3 drives like I expect it would in low gears and low rpm's. However, I cannot get this cam to not surge in higher gears unless the rpm's are over 2200 and sometimes higher. I have talked to multiple people with the BTR4 that doesn't surge in cruise mode at 1600 rpm and I have ridden in a BTR3 car and it just simply doesn't surge like the B3. I have worked with a very good tuner locally and a nationally known tuner and the surge at 2200 in 5th or 6th gear remains. It is not horrible but enough for me to want to change. I am still looking for the right cam combination so hopefully this will be it.
I hear you but I don't think a cam change is your issue. Are you sure the B3 was installed correctly? Have you talked with Fran to see if there's anything he can see in your current tune? The BTR 4 shouldn't drive any better than the B3 if both are installed correctly. Plenty of people running the B3 cam and are not experiencing what you are. I don't think that cam would be as popular as it is if that was the case.

My BTR 3 drives very well with very minimal surging around 1100-1200rpms.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:14 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

I hear you but I don't think a cam change is your issue. Are you sure the B3 was installed correctly? Have you talked with Fran to see if there's anything he can see in your current tune? The BTR 4 shouldn't drive any better than the B3 if both are installed correctly. Plenty of people running the B3 cam and are not experiencing what you are. I don't think that cam would be as popular as it is if that was the case.

Cam was installed and tuned by RPM Motorsports in Raleigh, NC. They are a well known LS shop and have been in business for 15yrs. I am 100% confident that the cam is installed correctly.

Yes, I did e-mail Fran a copy of my tune a week ago and I haven't gotten a response, so that either means that it is fine or he doesn't want to mess with it.

I am pretty sure that the B3 cam is as poplular as it is because it makes good power. However, the BTR3 and 4 make as much if not more power and everyone that I have talked to with the BTR cams have been very happy with drivability.

I am curious if you have ridden in a B3 car? I highly doubt that my car is the only car that has this issue.

This issue really isn't a big deal because cams are cheap and not that time consuming to change.

My apologies for blowing up this thread.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:28 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Cam was installed and tuned by RPM Motorsports in Raleigh, NC. They are a well known LS shop and have been in business for 15yrs. I am 100% confident that the cam is installed correctly.

Yes, I did e-mail Fran a copy of my tune a week ago and I haven't gotten a response, so that either means that it is fine or he doesn't want to mess with it.

I am pretty sure that the B3 cam is as poplular as it is because it makes good power. However, the BTR3 and 4 make as much if not more power and everyone that I have talked to with the BTR cams have been very happy with drivability.

I am curious if you have ridden in a B3 car? I highly doubt that my car is the only car that has this issue.

This issue really isn't a big deal because cams are cheap and not that time consuming to change.

PM sent to keep further clutter out of this thread.

Get notified of new replies

To Dyno Results - RPM B3 / Mamo MSD / Flex Fuel

Old 07-17-2017, 01:16 PM
Creamo3
Racer

PM sent to keep further clutter out of this thread.
I don't mind the discussion as it's good for people trying to choose. I will say this though, the BTR4 has more duration and tighter LSA which negatively impacts drivability. I'm unsure of the lift, but I assume it's at least .660/.660. All things point to the tune for the B3 to be honest. I hope you get the results you are looking for in the BTR 4, but I wouldn't be surprised if drivability/surge gets worse. Keep us posted
Old 07-17-2017, 01:30 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Means neither..... I was away on vacation when i first talked to you and have been busy in the shop catching up on cars that have been needed a tune.... I will look at your file in the next couple days but i can ASSURE you... its NOT the cam causing your drivability issues.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:22 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Re: pitting, let me guess, mfr starts with a C?
Sorry to hear ...no excuse for that.

Quick Reply: Dyno Results - RPM B3 / Mamo MSD / Flex Fuel