Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Active handling and rubbing sound when turning. (bearing?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 03:25 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
4 more heat exchangers, a larger blower that won't overwork/overspin itself, a larger hood, larger intercooler bricks and opened up the front grille for significantly more cooling and airflow. Other changes as well. It shouldn't overheat the way C7Z does on a road course. I've got a deposit down on C7 ZR1 and currently own C6Z and C7Z.
That's cool, and congrats, but I would have thought you'd be more of a purist - we both know that an FI engine doesn't belong on a road course, yet there is little doubt that it will indeed be faster.

Any idea how much heavier it will be over the C7Z?

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 11-11-2017 at 03:32 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:40 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
That's cool, and congrats, but I would have thought you'd be more of a purist - we both know that an FI engine doesn't belong on a road course, yet there is little doubt that it will indeed be faster.

Any idea how much heavier it will be over the C7Z?
140lbs added to the nose. Which gives it a curb weight of 3664 lbs. It's a porker. This is the only thing I am not happy about. It essentially means it's going to eat tires, brakes, fuel on the track. This unfortunately seems to be what is happening in general:

AMG GT-R 3668 lbs
Camaro ZL1 1LE 3853 lbs
Corvette Z06/Z07 3550 lbs
Porsche 918 3774 lbs
Porsche 991 Turbo S 3579 lbs

The additional weight of C7ZR1 likely comes from the 4 new heat exchangers, bigger blower, larger bricks and different fuel delivery system. The motor is an LT5 and has port and direct injection, a bigger throttle body, different crank etc. Also more aero bits including the rear wing.

C6Z is for certain a pure track car, my preferred choice and will remain as such for dedicated, hardcore track usage, endurance races and time trials. But I love all Corvettes, and will not disparage any.
C7ZR1, while not as pure as C6Z (true) will likely be the ultimate weekend track weapon and represents the pinnacle of GMs automotive engineering efforts on the C7 platform. If they have in fact addressed the overheating/limp mode issues then I will buy one. But it will not replace my C6Z - nothing ever will.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:37 AM
Ostendadler
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello People.

I'm pleased to announce that the active handling is back in check. Thanks to the tips of one you I managed to both fix or reset my faulty PTMS sensors and my rear brake sensors. The car holds up nicely now and I finally have access to competitive mode etc ...

My last issue is to get the dealer to re-tune my speedometer to the correct speed (i'm still driving 10kmh above what the speedo tells me) and my driver buckle is still acting up but replacement is on its way.

Thanks for your time and advice guys.

On a separate note I did see the Zr1 but I must say it is just too "busy" for me. Its flashy and techy but i'm not sure it will hold the testament of time as well as previous generations did. That and the wing just looks plain wrong.

Other than that the rims are pretty cool and the front looks a lot better in person than in the pictures.

Anyway that's the last roar before that mid engine nonsense .... :-(

Quick Reply: [Z06] Active handling and rubbing sound when turning. (bearing?)