Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] New AHP build: ERL, full time E85, 14.79 SCR

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 03:38 AM
MikeOC
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh B.
Awesome man. Cali is a lucky place to have some great tuners. You're going to need some sticky tires, and probably a new clutch
For sure, these PS2ZPs already break loose. I only have 5k miles on them, I want to swap them out already! Need some R888s. Wish I would have got 18s instead of these Z07 wheels, oh well so many things I could have done different. I will defiantly not be doing and hard launches until I'm ready to buy a new clutch.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:17 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

A headers test between ARH 1 7/8 to 2 inch would be great to see. The motor would have to be a like a 600 at the tire or 700 motor hp to really see some differences. I know not apples to apples but a few years back I think it was Hot Rod did a very extensive tests on a 540 BBC that had 700-720 pump gas motor hp. Obviously different motor but similar HP. The tests went from 1.75 to 2 1/8. The 1.75 were the lowest at like 668 hp and 685 tq then the 1 7/8 were like 697 hp / 695 tq. The 2 inch were 705 and the 2 1/8 were like 712 both had the same tq of 695 like the 1 7/8. Peak power on all of these was like 5800 to like 6200 rpm. Peak tq was 4400 on the 1.75 while the others were like 4900 to 5200 rpm. So the 1.75 were clearly too small and I think the tube length was only 30 inches while the others were like 34 inches. Based on that (a 700 hp air pump), I could see the 2 inchers giving another 5-10 hp on a really built up LS7 here.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:26 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

I do have the PipeMax program and it shows 1 7/8 or 2 inch are good depending on what you are doing but what is interesting is the collector size is calling for 3.30 to 3.6 inches. I always thought the 3 inch collector was getting a little small especially when you got to 700 motor hp. Obviously there are some fitment issues on our cars. On the 540 test above I think the 1.75 were 3 inch collectors and all the other headers after that had a 3.5 inch collector.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:46 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeOC
For sure, these PS2ZPs already break loose. I only have 5k miles on them, I want to swap them out already! Need some R888s. Wish I would have got 18s instead of these Z07 wheels, oh well so many things I could have done different. I will defiantly not be doing and hard launches until I'm ready to buy a new clutch.
I want some R888s too, one of these days I'll buy some of the latest R888Rs as my street duty tires. Z07 wheels are classy, I dig em.

I need to be able to punch it in 2nd gear without wreckless tire spin. I don't need dead hook (I don't think I would get it with almost 600rwtq), I just need a controllable amount of tire spin. Clutch should be good for awhile. I even sold my stock LS7 flywheel and clutch on ebay for some dough.

You're totally right about hindsight. With your longblock setup like you want it the peripherals can always be swapped out later.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:50 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Is there plans for a ton of n2o or blower later? If not, why the 6 bolt setup, erl superdeck, etc? Same thing with the crowers, no need for those at all with such a mild setup. Is this just a base, then it will be transformed into a 1300+hp monster later?
Old 07-12-2017, 11:11 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by double06
A headers test between ARH 1 7/8 to 2 inch would be great to see. The motor would have to be a like a 600 at the tire or 700 motor hp to really see some differences. I know not apples to apples but a few years back I think it was Hot Rod did a very extensive tests on a 540 BBC that had 700-720 pump gas motor hp. Obviously different motor but similar HP. The tests went from 1.75 to 2 1/8. The 1.75 were the lowest at like 668 hp and 685 tq then the 1 7/8 were like 697 hp / 695 tq. The 2 inch were 705 and the 2 1/8 were like 712 both had the same tq of 695 like the 1 7/8. Peak power on all of these was like 5800 to like 6200 rpm. Peak tq was 4400 on the 1.75 while the others were like 4900 to 5200 rpm. So the 1.75 were clearly too small and I think the tube length was only 30 inches while the others were like 34 inches. Based on that (a 700 hp air pump), I could see the 2 inchers giving another 5-10 hp on a really built up LS7 here.
I remember that Hot Rod article, it was a great read and the data they compiled are very useful.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:13 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Just curious....did you go with the 6 bolt head/block combo because of concerns over head gasket sealing when running high static compression ratios ? Has your builder calculated what your dynamic compression ratio is going to be with your current cam and combustion chamber volume ?
Old 07-12-2017, 01:01 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

There are so many cars making 1200+rwhp on 4 bolt blocks/heads, that if he is doing it for head gasket issues, that seems silly.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:09 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

6 bolt is overkill. PCP on an NA engine is simply not high enough to warrant them. My engine is mismatched like most engines with Mamo heads, 6 bolts heads on a 4 bolt block.

Mike, what steered you towards the RHS heads? They appear to be extremely well made but not too many builds have them. Did Kohle prefer their port shape to others? Only curious. I asked similar questions about Tony Mamo selecting the TFS 260 as his base head.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:13 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
There are so many cars making 1200+rwhp on 4 bolt blocks/heads, that if he is doing it for head gasket issues, that seems silly.
Agreed, hence my question
Old 07-12-2017, 02:19 PM
MikeOC
Racer

Short version is yes, I would like to have the option to add power adders in the very distant future. At this time I am thinking I might like turbos, move to E98 or hydrous ethanol full time, and add a little boost on top of the compression I have now. I think I am close to the safe compression limit of pump E85 as it sits now, so I would have to go full ethanol. Who knows if I ever will do that, but I wanted the option.

RHS heads were Kohle's pick, he said he liked them the most of the 6-bolt heads he had seen.

According to the calculator I have, DCR will be 13.16:1 with a cranking cylinder pressure of 193.5.

Last edited by MikeOC; 08-13-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:29 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

I guess you'll find out if your starter needs to start going to the gym or not. Poor little guy is going to think it's cranking over a diesel.

Can you post up some pictures of the progress? Come on, Marines are visual learners...
Old 07-13-2017, 02:28 AM
MikeOC
Racer

I guess you'll find out if your starter needs to start going to the gym or not. Poor little guy is going to think it's cranking over a diesel.

Can you post up some pictures of the progress? Come on, Marines are visual learners...
Yes, I am a little worried about that, and my cold cranking amps. The only thing I can think that might help is the WPC w/Moly. One of the guys at Kohle's shop told me he had seen an engine being assembled that had been treated and you could easily turn the crank by hand with the rings in the pistons. Of course the primary concern is the compression, so we will see. Might need to find a solution for that soon.

Kohle and his guys are pretty much taking care of everything, I don't have those skills. All I'm doing is running some errands like dropping parts off or taking them to the ceramic coater. That and trying to figure out exactly what I want and calling Kohle to ask him if it makes sense. I think he is getting tired of picking up the phone and hearing my voice, haha. But we're on the home stretch now. I had a pic of the core when it was about to go off to ERL but it look like I deleted it.

I don't have the skills to do this myself although I've always wanted to and this whole process has made me deeply interested. I want to buy a welder and a junkyard 4.8/5.3 and make a little cart now, but I have to pay Kohle first

Maybe when Kohle finds this thread he can post some pics, the heads with those rockers are probably all ready to go.

Here's how I've been passing some of the time waiting, as penance for the lack of picks, maybe this will do Devil? https://*******/Lytci
Old 07-13-2017, 02:42 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Yut
Old 07-13-2017, 04:41 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeOC
Yes, I am a little worried about that, and my cold cranking amps. The only thing I can think that might help is the WPC w/Moly. One of the guys at Kohle's shop told me he had seen an engine being assembled that had been treated and you could easily turn the crank by hand with the rings in the pistons. Of course the primary concern is the compression, so we will see. Might need to find a solution for that soon.

Kohle and his guys are pretty much taking care of everything, I don't have those skills. All I'm doing is running some errands like dropping parts off or taking them to the ceramic coater. That and trying to figure out exactly what I want and calling Kohle to ask him if it makes sense. I think he is getting tired of picking up the phone and hearing my voice, haha. But we're on the home stretch now. I had a pic of the core when it was about to go off to ERL but it look like I deleted it.

I don't have the skills to do this myself although I've always wanted to and this whole process has made me deeply interested. I want to buy a welder and a junkyard 4.8/5.3 and make a little cart now, but I have to pay Kohle first

Maybe when Kohle finds this thread he can post some pics, the heads with those rockers are probably all ready to go.

Here's how I've been passing some of the time waiting, as penance for the lack of picks, maybe this will do Devil? https://*******/Lytci
Hey Mike,

I will get some pics taken over the weekend and update the thread early/mid next week with some Eye Candy!!! This will be one stout build that's for sure!

The shop is slammed with work... Overstuffed would be a good word! Jake (my office manager) started in the office a few weeks ago so as he gets trained up (which will be very quickly do to his experience and talents) will free up much more of my "hands on time" to get the the flow flowing faster so to speak.

Your an awesome customer Mike and all round cool/good guy. You are very much appreciated by myself (and Edwin).

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

Last edited by American Heritage; 07-13-2017 at 04:44 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:25 PM
MikeOC
Racer

Thanks Kohle, can't wait! When you're taking pics, I think people might like to see the oil prime setup, kinda cool!
Old 07-14-2017, 03:02 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

You name dropped him out of nowhere, you obviously question his judgment with parts selection. It seems odd that you threw some discredit on his recommendations when none were made and when no one mentioned his name at all before you. Like you're a competitor with him or something? Just kinda out of nowhere to mention him.
LOL

You got all that out of my single comment, which I then took additional time to clarify for you, after your first absurd suggestion regarding my intentions? How'd you miss the Russian collusion piece of the puzzle though? Yah, definitely no defensive fanboyism involved.

But to clarify, NO I'm not a competitor.

So glad we have had this opportunity to chat. It confirms my action a couple years ago to use the ignore function on you. An action that will be repeated shortly.
The following users liked this post:
Undy (07-14-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To New AHP build: ERL, full time E85, 14.79 SCR

Old 07-31-2017, 11:39 PM
MikeOC
Racer

WPC'ed JE 4.125 flat top LS7 pistons and Katech'ed OEM Ti rods

Old 08-01-2017, 12:25 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Michael_D
LOL

You got all that out of my single comment, which I then took additional time to clarify for you, after your first absurd suggestion regarding my intentions? How'd you miss the Russian collusion piece of the puzzle though? Yah, definitely no defensive fanboyism involved.

But to clarify, NO I'm not a competitor.

So glad we have had this opportunity to chat. It confirms my action a couple years ago to use the ignore function on you. An action that will be repeated shortly.
Yes, I got all that out of a single comment. Because Tony has nothing to do with this thread, then from left field, you comment that:

"Tony Mamo should do this seeing how he likes to recommend 2" headers........and he has an engine dyno set up with ECM and harness for this engine. I'll chip in a couple hundred dollar bills for the test......"

You would think you might have mentioned ARH should release some results. Everyone knows what ellipses mean, the familiar [dot dot dot]....suspicions, doubt, skepticism, leading someone to a conclusion. Anyone with even your brain can read that comment and read it for what it meant. If he chimes in he can collect the $200 from you. I like your comments. You clearly have experience with V8s and seem to be a sound novice tuner but you push really hard to come off as more knowledgeable than you are. In a sense it's like you are trying to dominate the comments section rather than contribute to it, so naturally, it's important to attack anyone who challenges you right?

You mentioned you would ignore me like 2 years ago because you were being a douche in my build thread and I thought it would be nicer to ask about your comments privately rather than publicly, so I PM'd you, we exchange PMs like twice and you said "I'm on your ignore list". You really need to learn how to be wrong. You are almost definitely wrong about ARH 2" headers, just one example are the chassis dyno results from CPR show gains as low as 2500 rpm. But some people are never satisfied with evidence. When there is engine dyno evidence the burden of proof will just become "well, you can't race a dyno, 2" headers will only work if there are TRACK results now".

If I'm wrong I'm happy to admit it, I was probably wrong about a RPM transmission and someone comments that its a waste of money, I changed course.

Thanks for your comments and your contributions. Although this seems negative, I hope C6Z discussion remains a place where we all learn. Us "internet engine builders" can learn so much from a real engine builder like you. LOL, seriously, what have you built?

Last edited by Josh B.; 08-01-2017 at 12:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RGT (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 01:32 AM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,227 Likes on 774 Posts

I've done the back to back. 2" wins every time on an ls7. If a customer came in with say a kooks or arh 1 7/8 I would not arm bar them into a 2" but if they had a potential buyer for the smaller headers I'd present them the data.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cordes Performance Racing:
Josh B. (08-01-2017), NemeZ (08-01-2017)

Quick Reply: [Z06] New AHP build: ERL, full time E85, 14.79 SCR