Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] CEL on after head fix, small cam install, AND TUNE, CEL indicates Cats have failed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 04:08 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Default CEL on after head fix, small cam install, AND TUNE, CEL indicates Cats have failed.

The code of the CEL shows Cats need replaced now. The codes were pulled by the installer of the heads and cam after install.

Was it maybe a bad tune? The car is high mileage. i thought cats would last to 200K at least. I've never had a cat go bad in my life.

This is on Z06. Best guess as to cost to replace cats????? Just stock......nothing made of gold or some material only found on the moon.

Thx,
Rob aka AZ

Last edited by azmusclecar; 07-18-2022 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-18-2022, 04:16 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,278 Likes on 923 Posts

Most likely it’s the tune since it was changed after your head install. May have shut off the rear o2 but didn’t turn off the cat tests.
Old 07-19-2022, 04:23 AM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

What would be a good plan to follow here?

The car is for sale and it's out of state.

Should I call the company that tuned it? I asked the seller for the CEL code and the tuner didn't give it to him. What code would indicate the cats are toast? The heads were fixed by 21st Century Muscle Cars, Inc. in Addison TX with over 125K miles on the engine.

The seller tells me he has been driving the car for months with the CEL on, and it is running fine.

My out of state visit will not allow me time to access a tuner while there. I planned on a 1000 mile drive home. But with a CEL, I'm concerned of issues I may
encounter on the way home.

My luck at rolling the dice usually ends up with me bank rolling MY bad decisions. Is this a bad decision, or am I one of the paranoia group??

It's now 1:30 AM, as you can witness, I am already having a sleepless night with this decision. And I know I don't have the knowledge to be able to confidently
decide the course to take.

Thank you.

Last edited by azmusclecar; 07-19-2022 at 04:36 AM.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:32 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I would want the seller to correct the cel before I buy it
Old 07-19-2022, 09:53 AM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 449er
I would want the seller to correct the cel before I buy it
Sounds like good advice.........another party offered the same answer.

Thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To CEL on after head fix, small cam install, AND TUNE, CEL indicates Cats have failed.

Quick Reply: [Z06] CEL on after head fix, small cam install, AND TUNE, CEL indicates Cats have failed.