Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Odyssey battery life?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 03:33 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 361 Posts

Default Odyssey battery life?

Just bought a Odyssey PC1200MJT for my 08 Z06. These cars seem to be really hard on batteries so I spent extra on a supposed high-end battery.

For the price, I'm hoping to get long life out of it...as in at least 6-7 years. When the car is in the garage it will be hooked up to a battery tender.

Anyhow, I'm curious to get some feedback from you guys as to how it's performed and how long it's lasted.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:34 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

Ive run Odyssey's in Jeeps for years and they have always been good batteries. I think they have a 3 year warranty on them right?
Old 07-18-2017, 08:08 AM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rjacobs
Ive run Odyssey's in Jeeps for years and they have always been good batteries. I think they have a 3 year warranty on them right?
Yes, they have a 3-year warranty, which I think is low, being batteries from local autoparts stores are usually longer.

I did a bit of research and discovered an important thing to keeping the battery going a long time, that I bet a lot of people don't even know. Most battery tenders/maintainers are not right for these batteries, even if they say they are fine for AGM.

You need to use one that has enough amps and voltage. Odyssey has a list of APPROVED CHARGERS for their batteries. I went with the Ctek 7002, and it has a mode specifically for AGM that is Mode 14.7V which is for cold temperatures and also specifically for "many AGM batteries like Optima and Odysseys" (Says that right in the manual)

Here is the list:

http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...V_chargers.pdf

EDIT: LOOKS LIKE THE 7002 DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH AMPS FOR OUR BATTERY IN TERMS OF CHARGING IF THE BATTERY GETS TOO LOW (PC1200MJT) - SEE POSTS BELOW.

Most other chargers will keep it below the needed range which, per Odyssey, slowly degrades the battery and shortens the life. I think this is why I read a few cases of people having problems after 2-3 years, and sometimes less, which is what raised my concern to post this topic.

Last edited by kbreese; 07-18-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:34 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by kbreese
Yes, they have a 3-year warranty, which I think is low, being batteries from local autoparts stores are usually longer.

I did a bit of research and discovered an important thing to keeping the battery going a long time, that I bet a lot of people don't even know. Most battery tenders/maintainers are not right for these batteries, even if they say they are fine for AGM.

You need to use one that will keep the voltage at least 13.5v. Odyssey has a list of APPROVED CHARGERS they recommend to use with the batteries. I went with the Ctek 7200, and it has a mode specifically for AGM that will keep the voltage at 13.6v.

Here is the list:

http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...V_chargers.pdf

Most other chargers will keep it below the needed range which, per Odyssey, slowly degrades the battery and shortens the life. I think this is why I read a few cases of people having problems after 2-3 years, which is what raised my concern to post this topic.

With the right charger/maintainer I think we can get the "up to" 10 years Odyssey says they can go for.

Bottom line: TO ALL YOU ODYSSEY GUYS, MAKE SURE YOU USE OF THEIR APPROVED CHARGERS, OR ELSE ONE THAT YOU KNOW WILL KEEP THE VOLTAGE ATLEAST A CONSTANT 13.5V
Hib Halverson wrote a good review on this battery for his 2012 Z06, he seems to like it a lot. I wish there were a BCI Group 90 AGM battery from somebody, (preferably with a vent,) that would just drop in in all of these rear battery mounted wide body C6 Corvettes. I fear if it hasn't happened yet, it likely isn't going to come.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:09 AM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, I read that review. I was more looking for long term feedback for how long the battery lasts, but thank you.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:11 AM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, check this out. This is from Odyssey. Found it on another forum. It's apparently their standard response to people with failed batteries:

Proper charge maintenance is critical to maximizing the life and performance of the ODYSSEY battery. ODYSSEY Battery 101…

Most conventional batteries are considered fully charged at 12.6-12.7V. The ODYSSEY TPPL battery is not considered fully charged unless it has a resting voltage of at least 12.84V. The usable energy of the ODYSSEY battery is from 11.2V (0% state of charge) OCV to 12.84V OCV (Open Circuit Voltage should be checked after a minimum of 6-8 hours rest period with no loads) or higher. When the battery goes below 10.0V OCV, you are getting into the chemical part of the battery and can cause permanent damage. At less than 8.0V the ODYSSEY limited warranty deems the battery over-discharged due to abuse or neglect (usually unintentional). The ODYSSEY charger/maintainer or any approved maintainer can maintain the ODYSSEY battery indefinitely in or out of the application provided it has enough charging current to counteract the parasitic loads of the application. If the battery becomes over-discharged (below 11.0V OCV) then the sooner the battery can be fully charged the better. If the battery remains connected to the application during storage or extended periods of non-use, to prevent over-discharge and maintain the battery at a full state of charge, an ODYSSEY program approved maintainer would be required and/or disconnecting the battery prevent over discharge. There is a link to a list of ODYSSEY approved 12V chargers located on the ODYSSEY website Product Support page for your reference. http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...ersOct2013.pdf.

The list of approved 12V chargers is provided due to the many chargers that are programmed for the vast majority of batteries on the market that prefer low amp charging and lower float voltages that do not fully charge or maintain the ODYSSEY battery properly. The minimum recommended charging current for an ODYSSEY battery is 40% of the 10 hour amp hour rating of the battery for cyclic or deep discharge applications (about 25A for a single 62Ah rated PC1500), a constant float voltage of 13.5-13.8V and no constant voltages exceeding 15.0V in any kind of de-sulfation/reconditioning/equalize mode. At greater than 15.0V the battery can overcharge, overheat, and/or go into thermal runaway. Maintaining a fully charged ODYSSEY battery at less than 13.5V will bring the battery down and maintain it in an undercharged condition causing sulfation and premature failure.

For seasonal applications (non-daily use applications that set for more than 3 days in a row frequently) regular use of an approved maintainer that meets the charge voltage requirements noted in the previous paragraph is highly recommended during the season and/or a disconnect switch . The preferred storage method is to fully charge the battery before storing and disconnect the battery from the application (shelf storage mode). Stored in or out of the application with absolutely no loads, the battery would not require charging for up to 2 years at 77°F or until it reaches 12.0V, whichever comes first. The self discharge rate increases significantly for temperatures above 25°C (77°F) and for every 10°C (18°F) temperature increase the storage time to recharge is decreased by half. Charge maintenance is critical to maximizing the life and performance of the battery. Freezing will not harm the battery and self discharge rates reduce significantly at colder temperatures.

It is recommended that the ODYSSEY battery be charged if it is less than 12.65V (about 80% state of charge) when put into use per the ODYSSEY Owner’s Manual (link provided on website Literature page for your reference). Automotive alternators are meant to top off a slightly discharged battery and maintain a fully charged battery. Most standard alternators/stators are not meant to be deep discharge recovery chargers and can become damaged if consistently used like one as well as not fully charging the battery with limited use. A battery discharged to below 80% capacity may not reach a full state of charge, regardless of how long you drive the vehicle using a standard alternator. Typical alternators only run at full amp output for a very short period of time before reaching its charging voltage and dropping into a very low amp trickle charge. Low amp trickle charging a discharged ODYSSEY battery is very inefficient and also causes premature sulfation. Constant duty alternators have constant charging current that is high enough for a long enough period of time (when driven) to get the battery to a full state of charge efficiently. Once the battery is at a high state of charge (at least 85% SOC), an approved low amp trickle maintenance charging is able to complete charging process without prematurely sulfating the battery. The Cyclic Charge Voltage range printed on the top label of the battery is the recommended voltage at the battery from the applications charging system (alternator or stator). At less than 14.1V the battery may not be getting fully charged for infrequently used applications. You can verify the battery voltage by checking the voltage at the battery at least 8 hours after application use (or off charge) and if the battery voltage is not at least 12.84V then the battery is not considered fully charged. Voltage readings taken right off charge or after use (alternator/stator charging) will be inflated and inaccurate so for a true OCV reading, you should wait at least 8 hours before checking the voltage (OCV) with 24 hours being preferred.
Ok so they are saying the MINIMUM charging current is 40% of the 10-hr Ah. The Odyssey PC1200MJT has a rating of 40Ah, so that means we apparently need at LEAST a 16A charger for this battery!

The Ctek 7002 I ordered, is on their approved chargers list, but it's only 7A. So I guess they leave it up to the consumer to somehow know their 40% rule, and figure out it’s only approved for their smaller batteries. Apparently we would need the other approved Ctek which is the 25000 ($200+) However, The 7200 has a specific AGM mode, while the 25000 does not. So it seems the 7200 has the ideal voltage but not enough amps, and vice versa for the 25000.

This likely conveniently leads to assume the best option is Odyssey’s own 20A charger (~$200).

Also, notice they talk about most car alternators not being up to the task of the demands of their batteries.

This all seems very contradictory to them touting their batteries as so worry free and able to take whatever you can throw at it. In reality they appear to need to be nurtured by $200 charger/maintainers constantly pumping a lot of current in them, and keep checking the voltage (after 8hrs rest) or they will wind up critically discharged. Even if driving the car a lot, apparently most alternators are not even up to the needs of their batteries.

I bet most of the people with these batteries don’t even know this. And I’ve seen bad reviews even for those that do. Look on Amazon. I believe the top critical review was someone who had been thru a couple of them and then purchased Odyssey’s $200 charger to maintain it, and it still died prematurely. They had to fight with Odyssey who finally made it right.

Their warranty seems completely useless. Because if they battery dies, they simply tell you it’s “over-discharged due to abuse or neglect”

This is likely why Sears discontinued their Die Hard Platinum batteries which were Odyssey clones made by Odyssey.

Anyhow, my battery already shipped from Battery Mart, so I guess I’m stuck with it. Looks like I’ll have to return the Ctek 7002, and fork over another $200 for Odyssey’s charger, and hope for the best.

Probably should have just gone to Autozone for their standard lead acid Duragold battery.

Last edited by kbreese; 07-18-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:31 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

I would NEVER put a constant high amp charge on any battery for the purpose of maintaining it.

Thats for re-charging it, not trickle charging/maintaining a battery.

Ive got actual use of several Odyssey batteries in FAR more demanding environments(off road jeeps) than a Corvette and never had an issue. The only reason my Z doesnt have one is because just before I purchased it, the dealer did the headlight recall and installed a new AC Delco battery at the time. I will likely replace with an Odyssey when it needs it, if I still own the car that is.

Last edited by rjacobs; 07-18-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:34 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BigVette427
I wish there were a BCI Group 90 AGM battery from somebody, (preferably with a vent,)
In theory an AGM does not require a vent because its more like a dry cell battery. It does contain liquid, but not nearly enough to be considered a flooded cell battery and thus requiring a vent.

You can mount an AGM in any orientation and it wont leak supposedly.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:07 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rjacobs
I would NEVER put a constant high amp charge on any battery for the purpose of maintaining it.

Thats for re-charging it, not trickle charging/maintaining a battery.

Ive got actual use of several Odyssey batteries in FAR more demanding environments(off road jeeps) than a Corvette and never had an issue. The only reason my Z doesnt have one is because just before I purchased it, the dealer did the headlight recall and installed a new AC Delco battery at the time. I will likely replace with an Odyssey when it needs it, if I still own the car that is.
I hear you, and that was my initial reaction. But the charger/maintainer that Odyssey themselves sells for this particular battery is a 20A model. Now, I have to assume it's all automatic and will adjust the output accordingly whether it's charging or just maintaining.

With regard to maintaining it's just a matter of the correct voltage and having enough Amps to offset parasitic losses from the vehicle. So I assume the Ctek 7002 with 7amps is plenty for that.

But the thing is if, say the car sits for several days without the charger, the battery might get to a point where it needs the extra amps to recover to a point where the a less amp maintainer can then take over again.

According to them, you need at least a 16amp charger to do that.

So if you know for sure the car will always be on the maintainer, I guess it's fine, but if the battery gets low, then you need a powerful charger maintainer for these batteries, because all the lesser ones including the 7002, just won't be enough.

At that point you'd have to either take the battery out and take it to an Autozone to have them recharge it (Pain in the ***) or else buy a more powerful charger.

Makes it so you just want to buy a 20A charger/maintainer from the get-go. Then you don't have to wind up with a charger plus a separate maintainer.

Last edited by kbreese; 07-18-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:38 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I got 6.5 years out of my OE battery using a tender when the car sits. I just went with the same battery since that recipe seemed to work for me.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:14 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
I got 6.5 years out of my OE battery using a tender when the car sits. I just went with the same battery since that recipe seemed to work for me.
I hear you, but I believe I have some extra parasitic draw because I have a custom audio system with a sub & amps, and there is a capacitor hooked to the battery. The current battery is only 2 years old and is dead now. Most of that is the fault of time periods not hooked to a battery tender, but I figured I'd go for something more high-end to deal with it. Don't want this to keep happening:

(Battery charger needed @ the detail shop when it wouldn't start)

Old 07-18-2017, 03:29 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Got a response from Odyssey asking if the Ctek 7002 is sufficient for the PC1200MJT:

Hello Kevin,
Thank you for contacting EnerSys/ODYSSEY.
For discharge recovery at less than 12.5V, we would recommend a higher amp charger but for standard long term maintenance, the counteract parasitic loads and for shallow top off, it would be just fine. If the battery becomes deeply discharged to below 12.5V, charge with a 16A or higher current charger that does not exceed 15.0V until the battery charger shows full charge and then the CTEK can be used from there to complete the charging process.
Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
Sincerely,
Kathy Mitchell
ODYSSEY Sales/Support Representative
EnerSys Warranty Portal Administrator
PH: 888-422-0317
So as I was saying above, its fine for general maintenance as a battery tender, but not enough to charge it if the battery gets low enough. I’ll probably just keep the Ctek and just make sure I always have it hooked up when the car is in the garage. Hopefully the Ctek maintains its voltage high enough for many years to come.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:31 AM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

I think the OEM battery is a 5 year. You say you are going to keep it plugged in anyway so what's the beef. My GMC one ton pickup is a diesel and real hard on batteries. I just replaced the originals two years ago and it's a 1994
Old 07-19-2017, 07:48 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I wouldn't expect them to last longer than any other good battery. My OEM one was ~7 years old when I replaced it.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:16 AM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah I think it's mostly marketing on their end, but there is also an army of people who say they are the best batteries out there.

I know one benefit is they have a lot more power for starting the car. It's pulse cranking output puts out 1200 amps for a bust of 5 seconds (hence the name PC1200) which is a lot more then the OEM or other standard Lead Acid batteries. From what I read CCA is mostly a useless measurement but the standard everyone goes by to assume general battery power. The Odyssey is also smaller to install/remove easier, plus then you have the standard AGM benefits.

Originally I was going to do with an Autozone Duragold but with tax it was almost $170, while the Odyssey was $224 delivered to my door. So I figured for only an extra ~$50, it would be worth it to get the Odyssey.

I guess we'll see how it goes...

One thing I can't seem to get info on is how long these batteries have lasted for people. I've seen a lot of folks (like rjacobs above) touting they have had good success with them, but no one specifically states how long they lasted. That includes reading many threads on many different car forums. That's the main reason I made this topic, and still don't have anyone giving an example for that.

Last edited by kbreese; 07-19-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:41 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Why pay more for a premium brand with a lesser warranty and charger restrictions?

Durlast Gold for me from Autozone. 5 year warranty and any cheap battery float charger will work.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:51 AM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
Why pay more for a premium brand with a lesser warranty and charger restrictions?

Durlast Gold for me from Autozone. 5 year warranty and any cheap battery float charger will work.
My battery died, so I wanted to get a new one ASAP so I can actually drive the car. Especially since it sits all winter. So I had limited time to do research.

I know this car has a lot of parasitic draw, and as I stated earlier I also have a custom audio system with amps, and a capacitor, so I was looking for a good quality battery.

So I started researching and heard a lot of good things about Odyssey, especially for heavier loads and parasitic draw etc. When I saw the price difference was only $50, I pulled the trigger.

But I still kept doing research and that's when I came upon all this other stuff. But again, there are still benefits to this battery as I stated in my previous post. Hopefully I'll have good luck with it. Time will tell...

Still looking for feedback from other Odyssey owners on how long their batteries lasted. They've been selling them for a pretty long time. Didn't expect I'd still not have one single person to say It lasted x years. Heard that about OEM, but still not about the Odyssey, lol.

Get notified of new replies

To Odyssey battery life?

Old 12-12-2017, 04:41 PM
Tonytz06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good information. I just replaced the battery in my 09 Z06, 8 years old and always on a battery tender, Battery Tender Plus model. However, the other day when I tried to start the car one touch of the starter button and bang, the battery blew out both sides. I replaced it with a 90 EXT from O'Reilly Auto Parts.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:41 PM
GettnBetter
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I've found I no longer need a tender with the PC1200MJT, even after several weeks, no signs of drain. I've been running one for a couple years now. Can't really compare CCA numbers, this is the most powerful battery I've ever put in my Z, I hear it in the starter every time I push the button. it's kinda small too. Construction is clearly superior, even has a metal jacket and brass terminals. These are approaching $350 now, crazy inflation. I'd buy an Odyssey Extreme again if I ever need another. I'll never buy a wet lead acid anyway, their design is a supposed to fail, it's their market strategy!
Old 07-18-2022, 10:41 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

My first Autozone gold battery lasted 7 years in my 09Z, 5 years of that the LS7 was full HCI. I used a smart charger if I knew it would not be driven for more than a week. I only have 2 years on the Autozone Gold replacement battery.

Quick Reply: Odyssey battery life?