Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Possible opportunity to buy 2012 ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 06:40 PM
GTRSOLO
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Possible opportunity to buy 2012 ZR1

So I have always loved this car for the obvious lovable reasons. I may have an opportunity to get a very low mile example. What is the good, bad and ugly to know? I read here on the this forum section that there was a clutch issue that resulted in a GM bulletin being sent out for the fix. Is there anything else I should be aware of? I appreciate the comments, thanks
Old 07-27-2017, 08:46 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by GTRSOLO
So I have always loved this car for the obvious lovable reasons. I may have an opportunity to get a very low mile example. What is the good, bad and ugly to know? I read here on the this forum section that there was a clutch issue that resulted in a GM bulletin being sent out for the fix. Is there anything else I should be aware of? I appreciate the comments, thanks
Model year 12 and 13's are the gems of the C6 world, with the interior updates and upgraded stereo. If it's a 3ZR than it's got the nice leather interior package. While every car is subject to mechanical anomolies, I don't think there really are any big deal breakers for a 2012 LS9. The LS9 is probably more durable than the new LT4, certainly in the heat.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:51 AM
GTRSOLO
Pro

Originally Posted by BigVette427
Model year 12 and 13's are the gems of the C6 world, with the interior updates and upgraded stereo. If it's a 3ZR than it's got the nice leather interior package. While every car is subject to mechanical anomolies, I don't think there really are any big deal breakers for a 2012 LS9. The LS9 is probably more durable than the new LT4, certainly in the heat.

Thanks Big Vette. All the info I can get is great.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:41 PM
Texasthunder
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 381 Likes on 281 Posts

It's not a clutch issue. It is the clutch slave cylinder. Gm has a service bulletin on this issue. They will fix for free. Only other issue will be valve guides. If you have never driven a ZR1, you will fall in love after the first drive. Torque from start to stop.
The following users liked this post:
GTRSOLO (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 02:56 PM
GTRSOLO
Pro

Originally Posted by Texasthunder
It's not a clutch issue. It is the clutch slave cylinder. Gm has a service bulletin on this issue. They will fix for free. Only other issue will be valve guides. If you have never driven a ZR1, you will fall in love after the first drive. Torque from start to stop.
Thanks for the info, so what's up with the valve guides?
Old 07-27-2017, 03:11 PM
Texasthunder
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 381 Likes on 281 Posts

Almost all LS motors have valve guide problem at one time are another. Nature of the beast.
GTRSOLO (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 03:53 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Texasthunder
Almost all LS motors have valve guide problem at one time are another. Nature of the beast.
I'm not claiming to be an expert but the LS7 cylinder head is a whole different issue than whatever the "inherited" issues native to LS engines are; i.e. it's not a major deal breaker. LS7 heads essentially have valve guide concentricity issues that stem from inconsistent machining of the LS7 heads by the GM subcontractor, Linamar. The only way to be certain is to pull your heads and have someone who knows what they are doing replace the valve guides so you know they are concentric.

The LS9 is based off the 6.2L LS/LSA motor where as the LS7 was an entirely all new block, cylinder heads, etc. While there may not be as many high mileage LS9/ZR1's out there to look at, there are a slew of high mileage LSA's in CTS-V's and ZL1's and it's nothing that would or should make someone decide not to buy the vehicle. The LS engine is perhaps the best pushrod overhead valve V8 engine ever created, including the new LT series motors in the C7's with direct injection and cylinder deactivation. No engine is exactly bullet proof, but the LS engines are pretty damn skippy.

Last edited by BigVette427; 07-27-2017 at 03:56 PM.
GTRSOLO (07-27-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 04:50 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

The LS9 in our ZR1's are great engines so don't worry about them. If it's a car you like and the price you like then buy it and start enjoying it. Just so you know there were 2 different gearings in 2012 and 2013. For an additional cost you could get the performance package which should be clearly shown on the window sticker. As a quick reference the rear spoiler will be black if it does have that option regardless of the color of the car itself. Of course, if this is a black car you're going to need the sticker. The 2012 and 13 also have 4 cats. These are great driving cars!

Good luck !!
Old 07-28-2017, 06:01 PM
GTRSOLO
Pro

Originally Posted by ufaj26
The LS9 in our ZR1's are great engines so don't worry about them. If it's a car you like and the price you like then buy it and start enjoying it. Just so you know there were 2 different gearings in 2012 and 2013. For an additional cost you could get the performance package which should be clearly shown on the window sticker. As a quick reference the rear spoiler will be black if it does have that option regardless of the color of the car itself. Of course, if this is a black car you're going to need the sticker. The 2012 and 13 also have 4 cats. These are great driving cars!

Good luck !!
Thanks for the tips. This is a option level 1 ZR1 with the base looking wheels (like the new Grand Sport style wheels) and it does have a black spoiler.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:31 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Enter the last 4 digits of the vin after going here. You can see a good amount of detail sometimes:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...rowse_2012.php

Last edited by ufaj26; 07-28-2017 at 06:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Possible opportunity to buy 2012 ZR1

Quick Reply: Possible opportunity to buy 2012 ZR1