Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Headers...exhaust tips, etc

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 02:41 PM
Amichealhigh
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Headers...exhaust tips, etc

Not trying to get crazy on the car and mod it to a point that makes it hard to sell in the future if need be. I don't mind the sound of the exhaust with the flaps open, but I would love to have bigger tips and maybe just a little more grunt sound. I've been seeing that headers add some noticeable power on these cars, but 2k for nice headers? Seems steep for 30-50hp. Do headers slide right in on these cars or do motor mounts, etc, need to be loosened and what not? I did a search for this and found only a couple partial answers.

Stock tips. They're smaller than the aftermarket, can these be replaced, or best to just remove and put on aftermarket cat back exhaust, then take back to stock if need be in the future?

If I did headers, is a tune needed? I'm located in Denver, CO, if you know of someone good with Zr1's out here, please let me know.

Thanks for help.

Found some answers, trying to delete, can't find that option though. LOL

Last edited by Amichealhigh; 07-27-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:11 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Amichealhigh
Not trying to get crazy on the car and mod it to a point that makes it hard to sell in the future if need be. I don't mind the sound of the exhaust with the flaps open, but I would love to have bigger tips and maybe just a little more grunt sound. I've been seeing that headers add some noticeable power on these cars, but 2k for nice headers? Seems steep for 30-50hp. Do headers slide right in on these cars or do motor mounts, etc, need to be loosened and what not? I did a search for this and found only a couple partial answers.

Stock tips. They're smaller than the aftermarket, can these be replaced, or best to just remove and put on aftermarket cat back exhaust, then take back to stock if need be in the future?

If I did headers, is a tune needed? I'm located in Denver, CO, if you know of someone good with Zr1's out here, please let me know.

Thanks for help.

Found some answers, trying to delete, can't find that option though. LOL
Think long and hard before you do any mods. It's your car so do what you want, but if you ever have/want to sell it the value (IMO) is in the way it came from Bowling Green, especially the ZR1.

The ZR1's are the creme de le creme of the 6th generation of Corvettes, and low 11's in the quarter mile is more speed than anybody can use on the street anyways. I beleive I've read where LS9 exhaust manifolds are good for up to 800hp. Personally, I wouldn't touch someone else's "Frankenstein"-esque hot rod concoction unless it was exactly as I wanted it (probability= low) and I would question the need (logic/rationale) for any more performance unless you're building a serious track car.

Last edited by BigVette427; 07-27-2017 at 04:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Amichealhigh (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 04:31 PM
BearZ06
Safety Car

Received 1,323 Likes on 767 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by BigVette427
Think long and hard before you do any mods. It's your car so do what you want, but if you ever have/want to sell it the value (IMO) is in the way it came from Bowling Green, especially the ZR1.

The ZR1's are the creme de le creme of the 6th generation of Corvettes, and low 11's in the quarter mile is more speed than anybody can use on the street anyways. I beleive I've read where LS9 exhaust manifolds are good for up to 800hp. Personally, I wouldn't touch someone else's "Frankenstein"-esque hot rod concoction unless it was exactly as I wanted it (probability= low) and I would question the need (logic/rationale) for any more performance unless you're building a serious track car.

Headers will give you more sound but no real hp until your at 800 rwhp or so. Headers will need a tune, if your going to tune you might as well change pulleys then you'll need cooling mods- it never ends lol.
Amichealhigh (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 05:18 PM
Texasthunder
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 381 Likes on 281 Posts

2010 ZR1 headers made no difference in sound with flaps closed with stock mufflers.And to put them on you have to drop the engine cradle about 2 to 3 inches.

Last edited by Texasthunder; 07-27-2017 at 05:22 PM. Reason: add more reply
Amichealhigh (07-28-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Headers...exhaust tips, etc

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Headers...exhaust tips, etc