Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Stock 2010 ZR1 low RPM Surge - Help Needed

Old 08-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Turbo6.0L
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stock 2010 ZR1 low RPM Surge - Help Needed

Sorry for the long post in advance.
Stock 2010 ZR1 with 3400 miles on it except headers. Air cleaner and air intake also stock. No check engine light or pending codes.

Car is 2010 that is stock other than 1 7/8" ARH catted headers. First noticed the surge on the highway when the cruise was set about 50 miles after header install. It felt like I kept getting hit with a gust of wind but there was none. Found exhaust leak on both headers on the cylinder heads so replaced the stock gaskets with the ones from ARH. No more leak but surge was still there. Replaced spark plugs, wires and upstream 02 sensors(Bank 2 was acting a little lazy and when pulled was soot covered). Surge is much better but still can be pretty annoying at times.

Almost any off idle light acceleration up to about 2000 RPM's or steady cruising will cause the issue. Logging data with EFI live at steady speed it usually will affect RPM's by about 50 and sometimes you can see a 1/2 MPH drop. Long term fuel trims seem pretty stable at aroud 2. Short term trims are centered around 0 but can take some pretty big swings at times as high as -14 to +9. Both banks look almost identical.
Also with stock exhaust the car was never perfect. Mostly noticed the issue when going down hill with light throttle. More like cam surge.

I have read that some ZR1 owners have noticed this and was wondering if any fix was every found? I also read that this might have been addressed in the new cars with a different calibration. I even found a post from 2009 that the car was bought back by GM.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Turbo6.0L; 08-03-2017 at 01:19 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:55 AM
Bigjsn250
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Was the car tuned after header install?
Old 08-03-2017, 10:23 AM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

You likely need a dyno tune. You may also have an air leak up front in the air box and its connections.

I also have a 2010 ZR1, and when I put an air filter on, I had tremendous surging. Even with the filter, the car was pig rich. I had to take the car to get it dyno tuned, and it made a tremendous difference. No surging, no exhaust popping, etc.

Scott
Old 08-03-2017, 11:17 AM
Turbo6.0L
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bigjsn250
Was the car tuned after header install?
No. Still factory tune from 2010. Like I mentioned the car was never perfect even from day 1.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Turbo6.0L
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ZR1Gerhardt
You likely need a dyno tune. You may also have an air leak up front in the air box and its connections.

I also have a 2010 ZR1, and when I put an air filter on, I had tremendous surging. Even with the filter, the car was pig rich. I had to take the car to get it dyno tuned, and it made a tremendous difference. No surging, no exhaust popping, etc.

Scott
Thanks for the reply. I still have the stock filter box and element. I also pulled it off and inspected it with no issues found. The MAF signal didn't show any oscillation as you would expect if air flow is disrupted.
Good to hear the tune fixed your issue. We're all the improvements made by redoing the MAF table? Or were there other tweaks as well? I talked to our local tuner and he said he has not seen headers cause this issue but honestly how many ZR1's do most shops see.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:41 AM
Turbo6.0L
Intermediate

Anyone else have any experience with this?
Old 08-06-2017, 12:57 PM
Turbo6.0L
Intermediate

Bump
Old 08-06-2017, 04:04 PM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6.0L
Thanks for the reply. I still have the stock filter box and element. I also pulled it off and inspected it with no issues found. The MAF signal didn't show any oscillation as you would expect if air flow is disrupted.
Good to hear the tune fixed your issue. We're all the improvements made by redoing the MAF table? Or were there other tweaks as well? I talked to our local tuner and he said he has not seen headers cause this issue but honestly how many ZR1's do most shops see.
Unfortunately I don't remember all the adjustments made as it has been several years.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:16 PM
Turbo6.0L
Intermediate

I have been working with one of the tuners on the forum and we have only found a couple things that have helped with the surge. Turning off low volatility fuel option and adding 2ms to spark dwell. Also separately adding 5 to 6 deg of timing to problem areas also helped. Running in open loop vs closed loop makes no difference. Car will still surge if tuning tweaks are not implemented.

Makes me wonder if I might have something ignition related going on such as a weak coil or bad trigger signal or bad ecm? Still no codes.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:47 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

^ you could be onto something...

my 2010 ZR1 is also stock...I have not experienced the surge condition you are reporting.

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 08-23-2017 at 10:47 PM. Reason: sp
Old 10-10-2017, 11:04 PM
Turbo6.0L
Intermediate

Well after swapping in known good coils issue was still the same. Have been working with a tuner all summer and have not gotten anywhere from the tune side. Had the injectors flow tested and they found one that was a little leaner than the other 7 so it got replaced. Still same issue.
Currently the only consistent thing that seems to help is running the car in open loop mode or adding a bunch of timing in the problem area. Discovered this while dialing in the MAF.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:46 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

It really sounds like it needs a good tune. You can't do much to these cars without having to tune it. I would call Ryne @ CMS or Greg at Kong Performance. Even if it's not tune related, either one should be able to figure it out with you

Also, what fuel are you using? if not already, switch to Shell or BP and see if problem continues.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:51 PM
Turbo6.0L
Intermediate

I was sticking exclusively to shell but did put a few tanks of chevron through it with no changes. I am waiting for a call back from Kong.

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
It really sounds like it needs a good tune. You can't do much to these cars without having to tune it. I would call Ryne @ CMS or Greg at Kong Performance. Even if it's not tune related, either one should be able to figure it out with you

Also, what fuel are you using? if not already, switch to Shell or BP and see if problem continues.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:10 PM
Texasthunder
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 380 Likes on 280 Posts

Greg is the MAN!!!!
Old 10-11-2017, 04:21 PM
Nick Martorano
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I also installed ARH and a K&N on my 2010. No surging but it does pop when shifting gears. It was dyno tuned after the mods were done.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:36 AM
Turbo6.0L
Intermediate

So if you are doing 30 mph in second gear with light throttle and are just barely holding it there is it perfectly smooth?

Any chance you have a copy of the tune I can compare?

Originally Posted by Nick Martorano
I also installed ARH and a K&N on my 2010. No surging but it does pop when shifting gears. It was dyno tuned after the mods were done.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:11 PM
Turbo6.0L
Intermediate

Finally fixed this issue. It was a bad crank sensor. The connector was full of oil. It must have separated internally and let engine oil leak through it into the connector causing signal\connection issues. I tested it off the vehicle and was able to draw water through the sensor base into the connector with a small amount of vacuum.
What led me down this path was that while logging data finally saw the timing drop out during light acceleration. It seemed to be going back to the idle spark table values so it was a huge change you would definitely feel. In some cases it was changing by as much as 20 deg. Before replacing the sensor I used a tech 2 to run the CPK to CMP sensor correlation test per the factory service manual and did not see anything obvious. I was also never able to catch the sensor dropping out using the tech 2 either. Now that the car is running better I might look at the correlation to see if anything changed.

So in summary a $38 crank sensor fixed my issues. All the tuning in the world would not have fixed this but I will likely go back and make sure we are optimized.
The following 2 users liked this post by Turbo6.0L:
Gary '09 C6 (10-26-2017), MTPZ06 (10-25-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Stock 2010 ZR1 low RPM Surge - Help Needed

Old 10-26-2017, 09:50 PM
SweetZO6
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

So you did not get a CEL or DTC with a failed crank sensor? I would think the ECM would pick that fault up.

Ed
Old 10-27-2017, 12:28 AM
Turbo6.0L
Intermediate

Nope. Not a single check engine light or pending code was ever seen over probably a 1000 miles. According to the service manual to set the DTC for crank sensor performance code P0336 it would have had to:

-Receive less than 53 or more than 63 crank sensor pulses, during each engine revolution, for 8 of 10 engine revolutions.

-The ECM detects that the engine is running, but more than 25 crankshaft resyncs have occurred within 20 seconds.

-The ECM detects that the engine has been running but the crankshaft does not sync for .4 seconds.

Pretty much the way I read it is that you are not going to throw a code unless something has seriously gone wrong.

Originally Posted by SweetZO6
So you did not get a CEL or DTC with a failed crank sensor? I would think the ECM would pick that fault up.

Ed
Old 01-23-2020, 10:11 PM
joshp14
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by phils C5 vette
Bringing the dead back.

What was the crank sensor part number a in the ZR1. Did you have have to remove the starter.
The crank sensor is in the same location on every LS motor produced from 97 up to even the brand new LT engines...on the lower passenger side rear of the block. And yes, the starter must be removed. Can't help you on the part number but I'm sure a GM parts department could.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] Stock 2010 ZR1 low RPM Surge - Help Needed