Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2006 chevrolet corvette lingenfelter c6 corvette zo6 427 cid ls7 630 hp coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 05:29 PM
Sustain26
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2006 chevrolet corvette lingenfelter c6 corvette zo6 427 cid ls7 630 hp coupe

Hi!
Anyone have knowledge or experience of this upgrade?
Specifically: does it completely do away with the known 7.0 litre engine problems? and does the drivetrain tolerate the upgrade? and what are the weak points or other potential problems to look out for?
and finally - will it pass inspection as a legally modified vehicle in certain areas (please PM to find out exactly where!).

2006 CHEVROLET CORVETTE LINGENFELTER C6 CORVETTE ZO6 427 CID LS7 630 HP COUPE
Old 08-20-2017, 07:03 PM
shopteacher
Instructor

Pro Mechanic

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

This is a link to a post I wrote in Dec, 2013 See post #23. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3374894-thinking-of-doing-heads-cam-need-info-2.html>
I now have over 26000 miles on the car including a 4000 mile trip in May and June of this year. (24.5 measured MPG at the posted speed limits.) I have had no problems at all with the LPE 630 HP performance package. Period.
They did the required head work, cam,valve springs, LPE performance MAF, high flow air intake and more with 551 HP and 492 lbs ft TQ after. The package included a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty. I can't address your emissions requirements but it meets Montana's standards. My POC at LPE was Tim Dyer who was great to work with.
I don't track or drag the car but it drives well. Need to keep the revs up when you start but is very friendly to drive. Check their website.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:24 PM
Sustain26
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, Shopteacher.

These are the mods as advertised by a dealer:

"..Lingenfelter CNC porting & polishing of cylinder heads for optimal flow - Lingenfelter multi-angle valve job & surfacing for 11.5:1 compression - Ferrea high performance dual valve springs, titanium retainers & valve locks - Lingenfelter ZO6 GT19 camshaft by Competition Cams - Lingenfelter High Flow C6 ZO6 Air Induction & 4 diameter Lingenfelter Mass Air Sensor - Port Matched LS7 intake manifold - Ported and polished LS7 throttle body - GM Head gaskets & head bolts - 160 degree thermostat - Professional engine assembly and degreeing of camshaft. - Professional engine installation, testing & tuning - Chassis dyno report before & after installation - Excellent drivability, highway mileage not adversely effected. Corsa Exhaust.."

There are variations of the package? The above list differs a lot from the web page:

http://www.lingenfelter.com/product/L010010206.html
Old 08-20-2017, 09:25 PM
mr84monte
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When I bought my car, it had 10k miles on the upgrade, and I've driven it about another 1500 miles. I do notice that putting around in parking lots that you start to smell the clutch, which I'm guessing is stock, thinking that maybe the clutch is a little over worked for the extra power??? The guy I bought it from (second owner) said that it does pass emissions, but on the carfax I saw that it didn't, and asked him about it. All he said is that if I have an issue with it, we'll talk, and he'll tell me what he did. However, it still passes in the sense that they plug the obdii in and there are no codes, which is all they do here in WA on newer cars. Now for the big one, I sent my oil to be tested and it came back with high titanium numbers. With that said, the owner only changed the oil once in 6 years (but he only put 2k miles on it) Blackstone said that the oil was still in great condition and could normally go longer, but since the titanium is high and no idea if it might be from an additive, they suggested that I change it, after 2k and send it in again for testing.
The one other issue, that I saw in the paperwork, is that Lingenfelter tuned the car for 93 octane, which isn't really available in WA. I called Lingenfelter and asked if it's still okay with 92 octane, and they suggested that I have it re-tuned for 92. The idea is that it will still run okay because computer will compensate, but it's not optimum performance, because the computer is compensating.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:08 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

isn't that the cam with the high lift - more than most people are doing. .670-.680 lift??

I'm at .650/.652. If I were to do it again, I'd stay in the .630-.640 range to minimize wear. Not huge differences but still, it is.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:51 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by mr84monte
When I bought my car, it had 10k miles on the upgrade, and I've driven it about another 1500 miles. I do notice that putting around in parking lots that you start to smell the clutch, which I'm guessing is stock, thinking that maybe the clutch is a little over worked for the extra power??? The guy I bought it from (second owner) said that it does pass emissions, but on the carfax I saw that it didn't, and asked him about it. All he said is that if I have an issue with it, we'll talk, and he'll tell me what he did. However, it still passes in the sense that they plug the obdii in and there are no codes, which is all they do here in WA on newer cars. Now for the big one, I sent my oil to be tested and it came back with high titanium numbers. With that said, the owner only changed the oil once in 6 years (but he only put 2k miles on it) Blackstone said that the oil was still in great condition and could normally go longer, but since the titanium is high and no idea if it might be from an additive, they suggested that I change it, after 2k and send it in again for testing.
The one other issue, that I saw in the paperwork, is that Lingenfelter tuned the car for 93 octane, which isn't really available in WA. I called Lingenfelter and asked if it's still okay with 92 octane, and they suggested that I have it re-tuned for 92. The idea is that it will still run okay because computer will compensate, but it's not optimum performance, because the computer is compensating.
What was your BL Ti number? I just did the first full oil change and BL test after my HCI install which included new Ti-Mo intake valves and Ti retainers. My Ti number was 6 after 6000 miles on Amsoil Z-Rod 5W-30, sample taken from oil pan drain rather than my usual dry sump tank drain. I'm thinking there may be some initial wear of the Ti retainers against the PSI 1511 beehive springs. No unusual readings at 600 miles after HCI when I sucked out a sample from the dry sump tank.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:57 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
isn't that the cam with the high lift - more than most people are doing. .670-.680 lift??

I'm at .650/.652. If I were to do it again, I'd stay in the .630-.640 range to minimize wear. Not huge differences but still, it is.
^ This is my primary concern with their packages...lift and lobes. Their GT21 cam pushes .700 lift.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:20 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
^ This is my primary concern with their packages...lift and lobes. Their GT21 cam pushes .700 lift.
I believe the stuck lifter that I saw at the shop doing my build was a previous Lingenfelter upgraded LS7 build. OE LS7 lifter. One of the reasons I decided to go with some Johnson 2110's, despite the added cost.

Going with a custom 8620 core cam from TSP utilizing their own lobes that are said to be speifically designed for the LS motors, and quieter/gentler on the valvetrain. .635"/.635" lift. With the CHE LS trunnion kit, too.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:33 PM
mr84monte
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
What was your BL Ti number? I just did the first full oil change and BL test after my HCI install which included new Ti-Mo intake valves and Ti retainers. My Ti number was 6 after 6000 miles on Amsoil Z-Rod 5W-30, sample taken from oil pan drain rather than my usual dry sump tank drain. I'm thinking there may be some initial wear of the Ti retainers against the PSI 1511 beehive springs. No unusual readings at 600 miles after HCI when I sucked out a sample from the dry sump tank.
It was 9
The following users liked this post:
AzDave47 (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 11:15 AM
JasonSB
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have this upgrade on my Z but it uses their smaller cam. Car runs great with no issues. With the smaller cam there is very little lope at idle. Only thing I have done is a ported MSD manifold.

I bought the car with this upgrade done and if I was do it myself I would just do some AI heads and a good cam.

Last edited by JasonSB; 08-22-2017 at 11:27 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 chevrolet corvette lingenfelter c6 corvette zo6 427 cid ls7 630 hp coupe

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2006 chevrolet corvette lingenfelter c6 corvette zo6 427 cid ls7 630 hp coupe