Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] What to do with 06z with blown motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 08:56 AM
BrandonScott
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with 06z with blown motor

So a while ago my LS7 let go. A rod blew thru the block causing catastrophic failure. This happened a week prior to me getting stationed in Europe, thus, the car has been sitting back in the states ever since. I've spent a lot of time looking thru the forums trying to see what other people did in this situation. It looks like the 4 options are sell as is, put a used LS7 in it, put a built motor in it, or put a LS1/3 in it and take it to Carmax.

Unfortunately I've only owned the car a little over a year so there is still a lien on the car. I don't plan on putting a built motor in the car since I don't plan on keeping it forever.

After this expensive lesson my main goal is to get out from under the car and go back to something with a warranty.

I guess I'm just looking for advise as to what to do now that I've put myself in this situation. Thanks for reading.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:31 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

If you just want out of it buy a used LS7 and have it installed. It's just a straight up loss.

If you can't afford it you need to sell it to someone that will buy it as is and then you will need to pay off the balance of the loan to get them the title.

Good luck.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:53 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Think of this as an opportunity.

You have a couple of options. First, consider a used LS7 and wash your hands with it. Look at Ebay and some other vendors that offer pull-out motors. Here's an LS7 with 48k miles for $8,600. You probably have a lot of parts that are still good on your existing motor, too. Should be able to salvage something for those.

New LS7 crate motor is around $13,600, and a new LS7 long-block is around $10.5k.

Second option is to consider building a project car, and depending upon how you do it, you could break even or more. Chances are you'll like it too much and end up just keeping it.

The crazy thing is you can get a new LT4 wet sump motor for $13,237. (I'd make sure it's got the new for 2017 upgraded heat exchangers, though.) I think you lose a couple of computer things with an LT motor in a C6, but I'm not sure what the latest is on that.

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...s/lt4-wet-sump

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...classic-chevy/

Worst case, consider an LS3 although I'd hate to see a stock LS3 pawned off in a wide-body Z06, (saw that at CarMax online one time.) For reference, a new LS3 for $6,750 or $8,300 for a 525hp variant. Used ones can likely be had for far less than that. Texas Speed has turn-key LS3's ranging from 540hp for $11.5k to 635hp for $14.7k.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Chevrol...dZi4b-&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Pe...lYlip6&vxp=mtr

Last edited by BigVette427; 08-22-2017 at 10:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BrandonScott (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 10:59 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
If you just want out of it buy a used LS7 and have it installed. It's just a straight up loss.

If you can't afford it you need to sell it to someone that will buy it as is and then you will need to pay off the balance of the loan to get them the title.

Good luck.

However, without more info in your profile than just "male", the advice will be just as limited as above.

Here's a short list of questions to get you started.

What State is the car in?
What's the mileage?
What are the current mods?
Do you have the ability to do an engine swap yourself?
What's the condition of the rest of the car?

Last edited by HOXXOH; 08-22-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:55 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by BigVette427
Think of this as an opportunity.

You have a couple of options. First, consider a used LS7 and wash your hands with it. Look at Ebay and some other vendors that offer pull-out motors. Here's an LS7 with 48k miles for $8,600. You probably have a lot of parts that are still good on your existing motor, too. Should be able to salvage something for those.

New LS7 crate motor is around $13,600, and a new LS7 long-block is around $10.5k.

Second option is to consider building a project car, and depending upon how you do it, you could break even or more. Chances are you'll like it too much and end up just keeping it.

The crazy thing is you can get a new LT4 wet sump motor for $13,237. (I'd make sure it's got the new for 2017 upgraded heat exchangers, though.) I think you lose a couple of computer things with an LT motor in a C6, but I'm not sure what the latest is on that.

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...s/lt4-wet-sump

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...classic-chevy/

Worst case, consider an LS3 although I'd hate to see a stock LS3 pawned off in a wide-body Z06, (saw that at CarMax online one time.) For reference, a new LS3 for $6,750 or $8,300 for a 525hp variant. Used ones can likely be had for far less than that. Texas Speed has turn-key LS3's ranging from 540hp for $11.5k to 635hp for $14.7k.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Chevrol...dZi4b-&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Pe...lYlip6&vxp=mtr
Good info here. The one thing I would caution against is the LT4. Even with the C7 being designed with that engine in mind, the cooling in the C7Z is borderline at best. I wouldn't even try it in a C6, having to configure a proper cooling system on your own. Not to mention compatibility issues with C6 electronics.

OP, good luck moving forward. I think you need to start by deciding if you want to keep and enjoy the car for awhile. Once you figure that out, your choice will become clearer. If you decide to put a used LS7 in, find out if the heads were reworked and by whom. If not, I'd recommend planning to have them gone through and accounting for that cost as part of your solution. I had AHP work my heads because I really like the research they did on their various choices for valve guide materials and valve compatibility. Kohle was great to work with.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:11 PM
BrandonScott
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HOXXOH

However, without more info in your profile than just "male", the advice will be just as limited as above.

Here's a short list of questions to get you started.

What State is the car in?
What's the mileage?
What are the current mods?
Do you have the ability to do an engine swap yourself?
What's the condition of the rest of the car?
The car is currently in Arizona, I'm stationed overseas so any work will have to be done at a shop.

The car has just over 40k miles and had heads/cam.

The rest of the car appears fine, my guess would be that the car ran lean causing detonation.

It looks like most threads I read say its roughly 10-12k to get the car back to stock if the shop does the work.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:05 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

I just quickly did a Google search for a short block and it looks like maybe $6-7K. So if your heads are ok and you can do the work yourself it could be cheaper. Until it gets at least the heads off it's hard to know the cost. Best case is detonation and a sudden failure so there isn't bearings and metal all throughout the engine and oiling system. Still have to clean everything but easier.

Steve
Old 08-22-2017, 02:17 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Have it towed to CPR.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:45 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion
Have it towed to CPR.
My thoughts exactly.

http://racingperformancepartsaz.com
Old 08-22-2017, 02:55 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Have to ask, were the heads / guides checked? And just because it had "heads and cam" doesn't imply the heads were re-worked by a reputable shop.

An exahust valve failure is the number one cause of LS7's early demise. Unfortunately once the valve drops the piston usually explodes along with venting the crankcase and then it's potentially difficult to figure out if it was a piece of a broken piston (ring land) or if the valve dropped,

But when you pull the heads and if an exhaust valve is missing, let's chalk it up to the infamous guides were out of spec issue. And that's easy to validate - just check the guides on the other valves.

You probably could care less what the failure mode was at this point, but hey, if you can help your fellow Corvette owners making a mistake, all the better.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 08-22-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:02 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,227 Likes on 774 Posts

we could take care of you sir as we are the local az sponsor. if I can help at all feel free to email me. Joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
Old 08-22-2017, 03:10 PM
BrandonScott
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Have to ask, were the heads / guides checked? And just because it had "heads and cam" doesn't imply the heads were re-worked by a reputable shop.

An exahust valve failure is the number one cause of LS7's early demise. Unfortunately once the valve drops the piston usually explodes along with venting the crankcase and then it's potentially difficult to figure out if it was a piece of a broken piston (ring land) or if the valve dropped,

But when you pull the heads and if an exhaust valve is missing, let's chalk it up to the infamous guides were out of spec issue. And that's easy to validate - just check the guides on the other valves.

You probably could care less what the failure mode was at this point, but hey, if you can help your fellow Corvette owners making a mistake, all the better.
I actually made a post when it first happened a few months ago. I never did figure out the root cause. The heads were 'fixed' by TSP and a cam was put in. Roughly 2-3 weeks later it went boom. It was cylinder 7 that blew so that's what makes me think it may have went lean.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:11 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BrandonScott
I actually made a post when it first happened a few months ago. I never did figure out the root cause. The heads were 'fixed' by TSP and a cam was put in. Roughly 2-3 weeks later it went boom. It was cylinder 7 that blew so that's what makes me think it may have went lean.
Sure sounds that way. Who tuned the car?
Old 08-22-2017, 03:19 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

So a while ago my LS7 let go. A rod blew thru the block causing catastrophic failure. This happened a week prior to me getting stationed in Europe, thus, the car has been sitting back in the states ever since. I've spent a lot of time looking thru the forums trying to see what other people did in this situation. It looks like the 4 options are sell as is, put a used LS7 in it, put a built motor in it, or put a LS1/3 in it and take it to Carmax.

Unfortunately I've only owned the car a little over a year so there is still a lien on the car. I don't plan on putting a built motor in the car since I don't plan on keeping it forever.

After this expensive lesson my main goal is to get out from under the car and go back to something with a warranty.

I guess I'm just looking for advise as to what to do now that I've put myself in this situation. Thanks for reading.
Brandon you are outa luck, you have no choice except to sell it to me....for a dollar
Old 08-22-2017, 03:23 PM
gameover4
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

i have a ls7 shortblock id be willing to let go. #1 cylinder was down to 90# beginging to have ring failure, cylinder wall looks good. Need to be reringed and possibly 1 new piston if ring gland is messed up.
i went big build to lsx when it failed
Old 08-22-2017, 03:39 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,227 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Sure sounds that way. Who tuned the car?
this car one of the two by AEM that blew up?
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

Old 08-22-2017, 04:01 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Joe@CPR
this car one of the two by AEM that blew up?
I recall one thread on here a few months back about that...appears to have been deleted.

EDIT: Found it...yep, that's the one. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...?highlight=AEM

Last edited by MTPZ06; 08-22-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What to do with 06z with blown motor

Old 08-22-2017, 07:22 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Ah, thanks for the history lesson Mike.

OP, whatever you do, please don't install an LS3 into this car. A used LS7 would be a better choice, whether you keep it or not. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Chiselchst (08-22-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 05:56 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

look at your situation purely from a financial perspective

how much money did you put down plus how many monthly payments have you made plus how many payment months do you have. Grand total cost of ownership not including engine repair path you choose.

Then look at
1 cost of each engine replacement option such as ls1 route, new crate ls7, maybe an lsx 454, or buying a used ls7.

then decide do I walk away from the car by working with the bank to take the car back,, part the car out, sell the car as is, or fix it.

Then factor in how much do you like the car and if you sell it will you ever get back in another vette especially a z06. This is another cost of owernship to get another vette .
your answer will be what the math and how much you like the car dictates and how much of the labor you can do yourself.

If you are a young guy with lots of other debt that should also impact your decision

good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 08-23-2017 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:53 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Ah, thanks for the history lesson Mike.

OP, whatever you do, please don't install an LS3 into this car. A used LS7 would be a better choice, whether you keep it or not. Good luck.
Really?
It's a 12 year old 2006 and already at the bottom of the C6Z valuation curve. The average private sale is between KBB (@29K) and Edmunds (@26K) in good to very good condition. Of course, that means a good engine.

The OP is not keeping this one and has no need for a car while deployed in Europe. He wants to buy something with a warranty when he returns. His main concern is to stop the financial bleeding.

It's far better to install a used bulletproof LS3 for $4K and take a $4K hit on the value with a quick sale, than spend $8K for a used LS7 timebomb that the buyer will have to spend another $3K on heads to avoid a repeat problem. Either way the OP loses $8K, but only has to put up $4K out of pocket for the LS3. The end buyer only needs to spend another $1K to make the LS3 run as quick as a stock LS7 Z06.

Quick Reply: [Z06] What to do with 06z with blown motor