Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 09:48 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by no0one718
what are the benefits of a link bar lifter compared to a lifter tray setup on an ls7 with a .650 lift cam shaft?
Elimination of the lifter trays. One less thing to go wrong. The lifters cannot turn in the bore.

I run axle oiled short travel 2126 Johnson lifters.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:22 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by lamboworld
Yes, of course I am smart enough to know that it should be the other way around.
Figured you'd get it....
Old 11-06-2017, 01:53 PM
RACER7088
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

On the older engines, aka SBC and BBC, the rule of thumb on gasket thickness really is like Michael D said on quench liking around .040 or so for safety and compression. These engines in smaller sizes especially need tight quench to get the compression up and of course if you run the piston too close it can start hitting the head which is a no no.

The tremendously better design of these later model LSx aluminum heads though doesn't seem to care too much about quench as long as you can still make what compression you want without hitting the head by running quench too close. The factory engines when hot are running at around .051 to .060 quench which is almost the worst you can do according to old SAE papers on detonation resistance as Michael D alluded to.

Chrysler ran .070 to .080 quench on millions of engines for 50+ years as they still do or more on many of the hemis etc. The SAE also said that over .070 or so the quench is not on the bad zone anymore at least on most engines if I am remembering correctly. A ton of the modern stuff even runs over .080 on many power adder engines like say the Ford GT 5.4 blower engine or GT500 etc.

You also have another trend on power adders using extra fuel with METH or stand alone NOS systems with their own fuel or even engines using straight METH or E85 or running no quench at all by dequenching the cylinder heads and or running a full dished piston or by running the piston way in the hole. Most real power adder stuff is like this for many reasons but they never want to see tight quench.

Many times you end up with excess fuel in the chambers and with tight quench you will essentially hydrolock and break 2nd ring lands plenty often. It's even common to see domed pistons but yet way in the hole on many big NOS setups. Most of these guys don't talk about it as it takes a lot of broken parts to learn this lessons. Anyway to make a long story longer if this engine will see big NOS I'd generally rather not see any really tight quench to control head lifting and rind land problems.

Also one more tip is the the head gasket bore needs to be bigger than the chamber and the cylinder bore. Many chambers are much bigger than the cylinder bore in the block and you will still risk having a red hot glowing head gasket in the chamber there and then you very well will see some bad pre-ignition and detonation too!
The following 3 users liked this post by RACER7088:
dmartens (11-08-2017), HP RESEARCH (11-06-2017), phipp85 (11-13-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 06:22 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by RACER7088
On the older engines, aka SBC and BBC, the rule of thumb on gasket thickness really is like Michael D said on quench liking around .040 or so for safety and compression. These engines in smaller sizes especially need tight quench to get the compression up and of course if you run the piston too close it can start hitting the head which is a no no.

The tremendously better design of these later model LSx aluminum heads though doesn't seem to care too much about quench as long as you can still make what compression you want without hitting the head by running quench too close. The factory engines when hot are running at around .051 to .060 quench which is almost the worst you can do according to old SAE papers on detonation resistance as Michael D alluded to.

Chrysler ran .070 to .080 quench on millions of engines for 50+ years as they still do or more on many of the hemis etc. The SAE also said that over .070 or so the quench is not on the bad zone anymore at least on most engines if I am remembering correctly. A ton of the modern stuff even runs over .080 on many power adder engines like say the Ford GT 5.4 blower engine or GT500 etc.

You also have another trend on power adders using extra fuel with METH or stand alone NOS systems with their own fuel or even engines using straight METH or E85 or running no quench at all by dequenching the cylinder heads and or running a full dished piston or by running the piston way in the hole. Most real power adder stuff is like this for many reasons but they never want to see tight quench.

Many times you end up with excess fuel in the chambers and with tight quench you will essentially hydrolock and break 2nd ring lands plenty often. It's even common to see domed pistons but yet way in the hole on many big NOS setups. Most of these guys don't talk about it as it takes a lot of broken parts to learn this lessons. Anyway to make a long story longer if this engine will see big NOS I'd generally rather not see any really tight quench to control head lifting and rind land problems.

Also one more tip is the the head gasket bore needs to be bigger than the chamber and the cylinder bore. Many chambers are much bigger than the cylinder bore in the block and you will still risk having a red hot glowing head gasket in the chamber there and then you very well will see some bad pre-ignition and detonation too!
Thanks for chiming in. It's always a pleasure to read your educated response.
The following users liked this post:
HP RESEARCH (11-08-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 06:37 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 122 Posts

Making some progress
Attached Images   
Old 11-09-2017, 06:42 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,506 Likes on 2,597 Posts

Going to change to billet engine mounts?
Old 11-09-2017, 06:44 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Going to change to billet engine mounts?
I didn't plan on switching the mounts.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:50 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I didn't plan on switching the mounts.
Perfect time to get rid of the OE leakers, and at least get some Hinson mounts.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:54 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Perfect time to get rid of the OE leakers, and at least get some Hinson mounts.
I thought that a lot of people are having issues with their MSD Intake not fitting with these mounts.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:05 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I thought that a lot of people are having issues with their MSD Intake not fitting with these mounts.
It's always hit or miss with the MSD, but I believe the standard height Hinsons are slightly taller than OE because they don't compress as much as the OE rubber mounts.

Hinson makes a shorter (by ~3/8") mount which I believe was originally developed for those who were having FAST intake/cowl clearance problems (maybe on C5's) before FAST revised the intake. I've seen guys on here saying the 3/8" drop created other clearance issues, but a simple ~1/8 - 3/16" washer/spacer remedied all issues.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:56 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

My OEM mounts were leaking when I had my HCI work done at CPR, which was sort of expected on my part. They installed Fabberge billet motor mounts and I do not have any issues with the MSD intake rubbing. I don't have the part number. Just make sure the billet mounts you get are no higher than the OEM mounts.

I do get some modest vibration that I occasionally notice, but it is not objectionable at all.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:27 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Hinson standard mounts usually don't work with mad it seems and I would not want to lower my engine that much (some have had other issues) which is why I just got new OEM mounts when mine went bad. So far so good. I'd probably get new OEM ones even if yours don't look bad cause they aren't expensive and who knows how much life u have left.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:25 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Just plan to clearance the firewall to fit the MSD. You may regret it later if you don't. The shorter Hinson mounts will cause pan to leaf spring contact when the spring is unloaded. A shim will fix that, but don't assume you will find one the correct dimension. I had to make mine. The Hinson mounts are a good compromise between OEM and solid. They offer rigidity, with mild vibration damping. I can feel mild drive train noise more than with OEM mounts, but it is much less than fealt with billit style mounts.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:54 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

I had a bit of an issue with the shorter mounts where I had my oil pan heavily resting on the oil pan when weight was lifted from the front end. I added a spacer to make them work. The "stock height" mounts are taller than stock. I would have run these either way. I did get the engine lower than factory either way to clear my hood with the direct port lines.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ts-issues.html
Old 11-16-2017, 09:23 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

She's alive. My installer and tuner got my new engine fired up today and heat cycled it a couple of times and all is good.

I have had the Monster Triple disc clutch on my car for the past 4,000 miles and have more than a dozen 1/2 mile passes and probably more than 20 1/4 mile passes and a lot of hard street driven miles. He said that my clutch basically looks new and he was somewhat surprised that it showed no wear.

I ended up reusing my OEM engine mounts. I have less than 9,000 miles on my car so they should go for at least a few more years.

I also decided to go with the OEM head gasket, which will put my SCR at 12:1 and DCR at 8.65:1.

I am ready to get my car back.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:33 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Great progress!
Old 11-17-2017, 01:00 AM
Nexxussian
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I am ready to get my car back.
I'll bet.

How does the monster clutch drive?

Soft, firm, grippy, grabby....?

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 Rebuild

Old 11-17-2017, 09:24 AM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nexxussian
I'll bet.

How does the monster clutch drive?

Soft, firm, grippy, grabby....?

Honestly, it drives like stock. You can slip the clutch like the stock clutch and it will hold 1000whp. The only negative is that it is heavy and I am sure that I give up a few whp because of that but it drives great.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Nexxussian
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Honestly, it drives like stock. You can slip the clutch like the stock clutch and it will hold 1000whp. The only negative is that it is heavy and I am sure that I give up a few whp because of that but it drives great.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

At that small diameter, I wouldn't expect too much hp loss.

http://www.tickperformance.com/monst...capacity-1000/

Last edited by Nexxussian; 11-17-2017 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Forgot the link.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:24 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexxussian
Thanks, I appreciate it.

At that small diameter, I wouldn't expect too much hp loss.

http://www.tickperformance.com/monst...capacity-1000/
It's about a 10whp loss.

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 Rebuild