Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Vinyl wrap - any gotchas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 01:46 PM
hubris140
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Vinyl wrap - any gotchas?

Usually not a fan of matte/satin vinyl wraps but I was recently shown some photos of gloss finish wraps which pushed me over the edge. Always went gaga over LMB or Inferno Red Z06s but I ended up with a black vette. Gonna try and get the gloss red or blue look on my car.

What I wanted to ask was, since this is the first time I am going the vinyl route and its a pretty penny all said and done, are there any gotchas with the process that aren't immediately apparent to a layman like myself? Any signs I should look out for or questions I need to ask the shop beforehand to ensure they're good enough for the job? Once the wrap is on, do I need to care for it like regular paint - periodic waxes or is it just fire and forget?

Anyone have pics of a bright gloss wrap they've done? (couldn't find much pics of a gloss wrapped Z06 on the internet)
Old 08-23-2017, 05:57 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Make sure they know what they are doing. See how they do around edges. Does it include door sills/etc. Find out the brand of vinyl. Some are good, some are crap.

As for care, no waxing/etc but just a general wipe down and spray helps it. I use adams VRT or interior spray on my vinly. Been on for almost 5 years now without any issues.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:01 PM
hubris140
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Make sure they know what they are doing. See how they do around edges. Does it include door sills/etc. Find out the brand of vinyl. Some are good, some are crap.

As for care, no waxing/etc but just a general wipe down and spray helps it. I use adams VRT or interior spray on my vinly. Been on for almost 5 years now without any issues.
Great advice. I checked with the shop. The wrap will go around the edges but wont go all the way into the door sill, kinda like the blue wrap on this red 911GT3 : https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7077/...e0dd111d_c.jpg

Since my car is black, it probably wont stand out too much when I open my door!

The brand is 3M and the color I'll probably go with is 'Gloss Atomic Teal'.

If you dont mind, can you share some pics of your car after 5 years - kinda curious to see how well they stand up to 5 years worth of sun, dirt etc.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:27 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I only have my roof/halo done, not the whole car. Wrap has a few stains/marks from sap/bird crap/etc, but overall looks great.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:45 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

I think that will look really good! Be sure to post pics when it's done!
Have you seen this thread?? Some good info in there.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:35 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Find out what they warranty and for how long. I hear a lot of stories around here about people's wrap coming off after driving 30 minutes home. Once a panel is done, they should be reapplying some heat so the adhesive grabs and holds in its final position and also should be let to sit and dry per sey if they're using a lubricator of some sort during install. Find out what their prep process is (best prep=best results) and if they use single pieces of vinyl for the rear bumper. If they plan on wrapping the flat surface of bumper but using additional strips for inside the tail light areas or license plate area run. Lastly are they going to remove trim, panels or bumpers to get the best wrap on the panels?

Get notified of new replies

To Vinyl wrap - any gotchas?

Quick Reply: Vinyl wrap - any gotchas?