Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06
Reload this Page >

HPR and GSpeed team up on a 468 cid road race setup

Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMs Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

HPR and GSpeed team up on a 468 cid road race setup

Old 11-20-2017, 07:17 PM
Michael_D
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by HP RESEARCH View Post
I didn't mean to come across as short, just hit a quick reply before grabbing lunch. If I came across that way, I sincerely did not mean to.
No sir, not at all. I was actually thinking you might have thought I called your baby ugly....

Last edited by Michael_D; 11-20-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:59 AM
chuntington101
CF Senior Member

What's the plan for the intake on this setup? I know you have said before the the intake is the limiting factor on these big builds.

Have to say yet another cracking thread with loads of useful info and insight. Thanks again!
Old 11-21-2017, 07:49 AM
robz
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by chuntington101 View Post
What's the plan for the intake on this setup? I know you have said before the the intake is the limiting factor on these big builds.

Have to say yet another cracking thread with loads of useful info and insight. Thanks again!
An ITB would be a player. Great driveability solid power in the high rpm range. Need a good tuner and filtration.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:58 AM
HP RESEARCH
Supporting Vendor

Great question and hopefully something we are planning to spend some time with on the engine dyno testing as we get to the finish out on the engine. Working with GSpeed now on a plan to test the normal shelf intakes like the FAST and MSD as well as some modified intakes. ITB's have been talked about in the future, but for this first round probably not since we are working around a more realistic budget plan for this one.
[email protected]
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/horsepowerresearch/
Old 11-21-2017, 11:39 AM
chuntington101
CF Senior Member

Great question and hopefully something we are planning to spend some time with on the engine dyno testing as we get to the finish out on the engine. Working with GSpeed now on a plan to test the normal shelf intakes like the FAST and MSD as well as some modified intakes. ITB's have been talked about in the future, but for this first round probably not since we are working around a more realistic budget plan for this one.
Thanks!

Might be worth having a look at what this guy can do (CF sponsor as well) - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...manifolds.html

Not linked to him in anyway other than think his products looks good and he has a great turn around time.

ITBs would be amazing! What about a carb style intake? They should be able to flow a ton of air!
Old 11-21-2017, 01:14 PM
MTPZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,023 Posts

Thanks!

Might be worth having a look at what this guy can do (CF sponsor as well) - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...manifolds.html

Not linked to him in anyway other than think his products looks good and he has a great turn around time.

ITBs would be amazing! What about a carb style intake? They should be able to flow a ton of air!
Yep...I would be interested in seeing how the G1 performs across the powerband; as well as maybe Shearer's modified Hi-Ram.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:53 PM
RamAir972003
CF Senior Member

Ported MSD Vs Highram or the new twin throttle body set up intake by Nelson racing engines....
Old 11-21-2017, 03:00 PM
MTPZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Or....an Edelbrock cross ram.

Which I guess leads to my next question...I assume there's a desire to have it fit under a certain style of hood?

Last edited by MTPZ06; 11-21-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:14 PM
HP RESEARCH
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by MTPZ06 View Post
Or....an Edelbrock cross ram.

Which I guess leads to my next question...I assume there's a desire to have it fit under a certain style of hood?

Edelbrock only offers that in a LS3 port, and this engine will have LS7 port heads on it so that one is out.

The goal is to get it under a C6Z hood....now if that has to be the slightly raised ZR1 style or possibly a small cowl down the line...that isn't out of the books either but yes we would like to have it work with a stock style hood. Again for the mass consumer. we could go big tall carb style with twin carb style TB's and have a 4" cowl but that is going to block a good part of your view in a road race car and not be an option for most street customers.
[email protected]
The Following User Says Thank You to HP RESEARCH For This Useful Post:
MTPZ06 (11-21-2017)
Old 11-22-2017, 01:25 AM
chuntington101
CF Senior Member

I have heard the edelbrock cross ran thing weighs a ton as well! Kind of negates the point of having a light weight front drive assembly if you then go and add a ton of weight with the intake!
Old 11-22-2017, 09:41 AM
HP RESEARCH
Supporting Vendor

I have heard the edelbrock cross ran thing weighs a ton as well! Kind of negates the point of having a light weight front drive assembly if you then go and add a ton of weight with the intake!
Along with the fact it is aluminum which is going to add weight like you said but carry with it a lot of heat soak unlike a composite intake
[email protected]
The Following User Says Thank You to HP RESEARCH For This Useful Post:
lt1z (11-22-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 04:12 PM
HP RESEARCH
Supporting Vendor

Small update for today:

If you are curious as to the retainer weight difference here is the original PAC Ti retainer for the dual spring compared to the Tool Steel one for the conical Comp springs.

Pac Ti. retainer at 11 grams ea

Comp Tool Steel retainer for conical springs

For desired compression and quench we are using a 0.051 Cometic gasket set. Heads are held down with a shelf ARP head bolt kit.

With the gaskets on, heads were checked for correct install height, shimmed as required and prepared to go on the engine.

As sent dual springs with Pac retainers being removed and the heads cleaned.

Shimming for new Comp conical spring kit

Comp's 7230 conical spring set with tool steel retainers ready to go.

Heads assembled and torqued

Now that the heads are on, we measured for proper pushrod length and lifter pre-load. Unlike the home user, we have the advantage of keeping a number of pushrods of different sizes and lengths in stock so we can check using a real pushrod, not a checking pushrod. This gives us the ability to look for clearance issues, or any differences from the checker to a real constructed pushrod. *pushrods in route*

Measuring for pushrod length

Now for some of the new cool features.

As you have seen in the first post, Louis and the guys at GSpeed are working on a new dry sump and accessory drive system to allow use of a bigger pump than the standard 3 stage as well as dropping weight with the new accessories and picking up some HP to boot.

First part of this is the Dailey 5 stage pump with Aerator return.

Assembled pan and pump

Detail work inside the Dailey pan and built in pickup screens

Pump return, and aerator return side by side.

Mounted on the engine

Again, I will forward some of the new drive features to Louis and the guys at GSpeed. I'll answer what I can on this.
[email protected]
Old 11-29-2017, 06:38 PM
MTPZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Now for some of the new cool features.

As you have seen in the first post, Louis and the guys at GSpeed are working on a new dry sump and accessory drive system to allow use of a bigger pump than the standard 3 stage as well as dropping weight with the new accessories and picking up some HP to boot.

First part of this is the Dailey 5 stage pump with Aerator return.

Assembled pan and pump

Detail work inside the Dailey pan and built in pickup screens

Pump return, and aerator return side by side.

Mounted on the engine

Again, I will forward some of the new drive features to Louis and the guys at GSpeed. I'll answer what I can on this.
Wow, that's nice.
The Following User Says Thank You to MTPZ06 For This Useful Post:
HP RESEARCH (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 10:32 PM
Josh B.
CF Senior Member

Awesome engine build HPR! I have the same heads on my 454 and I'm very happy with them. The use of the conical springs is very interesting, I am going to follow the build and read how it works out for you.

Regarding your intake choices, I having been running a Mamo ported MSD with good results. I just bought a new manifold to test out from G1Pro, advertised to fit the factory hood and factory cowl without cutting. I'll be testing it soon and will post the results in my Mamo build thread.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:33 AM
chuntington101
CF Senior Member

Ooowww be nice to see the results from the above testing! G1Pro has been getting some hammer for not posting results (LS1 texhnkcal guys seem to what back to back testing because everyone has dunk time to do this) so he will probably like anything you can give him.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:31 AM
HP RESEARCH
Supporting Vendor

Final pieces before we hand it off to Louis and the crew at GSpeed for their drive assembly, sensors, and wiring harness.

One of the things that Billy Godbold had tested with using the new conical single spring and Comp lobe design was the OE rocker and a new Comp design. Since the Comp rocker is still in development and not ready for sale, we went OE on the rockers. A large part of the goal of this first build is to choose proven components using a sensible budget, and with Billy's spintron testing, there was no worry on the OE rockers.

Louis at GSpeed took the time to pull them apart, tumble them, polish and install Comp's trunion upgrade kit before sending them over for install on the engine. New Trick Flow rocker stands locate using two dowels into the cylinder heads. Due to some tight pushrod clearance, we are using a heavy wall 3/8" diameter pushrod for rigidity as our typical 7/16" would not clear in this case.

Tumble polished with Comp trunion upgrade

HPR 3/8" diameter, 0.135 wall pushrods

Trick Flow billet stands with new LS7 rocker arms

Comp's conical spring and OE rocker arms

Finished long block complete with GSpeed exclusive 5 stage Dailey Engineering Dry Sump

All bagged and ready for customer pickup for the finishing bits! Stay tuned as GSpeed finishes up the new Motec wiring harness in the coming weeks and we get ready to fire it up!
Old 01-04-2018, 10:41 PM
Josh B.
CF Senior Member

Looking good!
The Following User Says Thank You to Josh B. For This Useful Post:
HP RESEARCH (01-05-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 01:12 PM
MikeOC
CF Senior Member

In for updates!
Old 03-01-2018, 03:08 PM
Pb82 Ronin
CF Senior Member

sub'd
Old 03-02-2018, 09:50 AM
1LEThumper
CF Member

When I was by GSpeed's place last they had the engine getting ready to go into the car but still had some wiring and other things to do before it went in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HPR and GSpeed team up on a 468 cid road race setup

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: