Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Apsis Splash Guards

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 12:03 AM
fattiremike
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

So, I pre-drilled the upper hole and used a zip tie to secure that one. I pre-drilled the middle hole and it goes into the plastic stock fender liner. I was not satisfied with the fit, so I put industrial strength velcro in-between and kept it separated with thin cardboard (think 12-pack) until I got the lower screw installed. I then pushed it all together to make the gap between the Apsis piece and the fender fit correctly with no gap and pulled the cardboard out. It's a pain, but it fits correctly and stays put.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:03 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I absolutely hate mine with a passion, lucky I think mine are not drilled into the CF fender and I am PPF'ing the rear quarters and ripping them off soon. They are a huge eye sore.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:36 AM
SPDKLZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 187 Posts

I love mine! They fit perfectly, do what they are supposed to do, and look OEM. If you take your time, use common sense, and follow the directions on their website you won't be drilling into any fenders. Good luck with PPF only. With any decent sticky tire and time, the PPF will look like its been sandblasted.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:10 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by SPDKLZ1
I love mine! They fit perfectly, do what they are supposed to do, and look OEM. If you take your time, use common sense, and follow the directions on their website you won't be drilling into any fenders. Good luck with PPF only. With any decent sticky tire and time, the PPF will look like its been sandblasted.
Rather deal with that 100x over.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:34 AM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I think they look pretty good. I have PPF on my rear quarters and the film got hit with a stone and tore it up, so film alone is not going to cut it. So I went the extra measure. The key to putting them on is to put the lower screw in first, but don't tighten it. Put a lot of pressure on the upper part of the Apsis splash guard and make sure it is in the correct position and tight to the finder. Then put the upper screw in at an angle away from the fender or to the inside of the wheel well. If you put it in straight, it hits the carbon fiber finder and could damage it. And it will separate the OEM splash guard from the fender and you don't get a good fit. I did not predrill a hole. The screw will dig into the plastic OEM splash guard. But drilling a hole might be easier to get the screw started. I would make sure to get the Apsis guards with the optional rubber edge guard. I noticed some guys take them off without the guard and it causes abrasion on the paint. Mine are going over PPF on the front fender, so that and having the rubber edge guard on it should prevent paint damage.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:40 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Innovate
Rather deal with that 100x over.
I initially purchased a set as well, and I didn't even get them screwed in before I said nope nope nope. Went the same route and had PPF on 3/4 of the car. And yes, i'm aware it will still get sandblasted, but it just didn't look near as good as I thought it would.

Restocking fee plus return shipping was absolutely hilarious (over 1/3 the cost) so I just sold them off as used. Someone got a great deal if they really wanted them, but they just weren't for me.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:09 AM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I think they look good and might even enhance the car's appearance. I sent Apsis an email about the issues with the upper pre-drilled hole and they are going to reposition the hole by moving to the inside of the guard by 1/4", which should be enough to avoid the fender when you put the screw into the OEM guard to secure it. But you still may have to drive the screw in at a slight angle away from the fender. I do wish the guards would fit on the inside of the fender instead of the outside so they would perfectly match the rear guards, but that is nitpicking. Would I rather not have the guards - probably. But I have an aversion to stone chips on the paint, so had to go this direction. I don't think the film alone is going to be enough.

Hard to believe that GM doesn't make an accessory guard that would do the job. And if they had made it where you can just use existing screws, that would have been nice. Or better yet, engineer the car so the fender sticks out enough to prevent the stones being thrown on the rear quarter. But we are talking about a company that built the LS7 engines valve/heads issues and leave it to the customers to fix it.

Quick Reply: Apsis Splash Guards