Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2006 Z06 noise/miss? Katech Torquer and PRC heads

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 10:27 PM
Joe Breidenbach
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I missed this. Yes, happy I noticed the squeak right away. 50k on the car. PRC heads were new at 35k.

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
Big picture... you caught it early. Mod it, make it stronger, more reliable. How many miles on the car?

I was recently at a shop where a ZR1 lifter went... half of the wheel was gone... It was pretty bad... Luckily the owner still has a C7Z he can cruise around in while the ZR1 is down. GL w build...
Old 10-26-2017, 10:28 PM
Joe Breidenbach
Instructor

Originally Posted by Undy
As I recall, TSP's guides are a step-cut guide. The part of the guide that presses into the head is the same diameter as the OEM guides but the top of the guide is a bit larger in diameter. I believe they do this because it makes it easier to "locate" the guide in the head. You just press it in till the guide "shelf/lip" seats itself in the head. The only real difference that AHP needs to worry about is getting a spring perch with the right ID for their new guides.

FWIW, I have the PRC 265s with a bit over 20K miles on it. My next wiggle test, assuming a "good" test, I'll be replacing PRC's dual springs with PSI's beehives. I researched and bought a set of spring perches with the "correct" ID for the PRC guides.

All this being said, AHP's Moldstar 90 guides will work with your heads. They just need the correct spring bases for your spring setup.

By the way, why the spring change?
Old 10-26-2017, 10:42 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Springs on a high lift, high duration cam, revving to 7k don't last forever. It is common to replace them every ~20-25k miles. I replaced mine at 22k miles, no issues. PRC 285 heads.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:46 PM
Joe Breidenbach
Instructor

This I get. I probably wasnt clear. I meant why the change from the PAC duals to the beehives. Springs in the car are PAC .660 duals with less than 10k miles on them.

Originally Posted by Unreal
Springs on a high lift, high duration cam, revving to 7k don't last forever. It is common to replace them every ~20-25k miles. I replaced mine at 22k miles, no issues. PRC 285 heads.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:36 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Breidenbach
Thanks to Undy and AHP. Sounds like Todd from DRM confirmed and we’re going with the MS90 guides. Not cheap but why not try to make it better? So, how much better do they wear? The bronze guides were found to be shot after 15k mile.
AHP's independent guide hardness test:

Old 10-27-2017, 08:25 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

By the way, why the spring change?
As unreal said, performance valve springs have a limited life span, the more radical the camshaft and the harder you drive it, especially HPDEs, the sooner they need to be checked and/or replaced. 20k-25k miles seems to be an adequate replacement plan for most applications.

In my situation, the reasoning is more slanted to ****-poor springs that PRC provided early-on with their heads (the infamous .675" springs). FWIW, I was one of the first here to use PRC's heads (October of 2011). Katech's early bought and paid for spintron testing showed PSI's 1511 beehive valve springs having better control (less valve bounce) over the valves then they tested dual springs. That was true even with the tested heavy solid stemmed stainless steel exhaust valves. As I recall, this was even true with the cam I'm running, Katechs Torquer 110. FWIW, different cams and springs could produce different results.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:17 AM
Joe Breidenbach
Instructor

Interesting. So this car had a torquer 110 when the lifter failed. Not sure yet whats going back in as Im taking a rec from DRM. It did have the 675 springs at one time. One did fail and they were replaced with the 660’s. Also, we’re going with solid stainless exhaust valves. Funny how this all relates huh? We were talking about going to different springs and perches. So, the PSI 1511 beehives and the proper perches seem to be the way to go?
Old 10-27-2017, 11:59 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Interesting. So this car had a torquer 110 when the lifter failed. Not sure yet whats going back in as Im taking a rec from DRM. It did have the 675 springs at one time. One did fail and they were replaced with the 660’s. Also, we’re going with solid stainless exhaust valves. Funny how this all relates huh? We were talking about going to different springs and perches. So, the PSI 1511 beehives and the proper perches seem to be the way to go?
Not sure who you're talking about having a lifter fail with the 110 but it wasn't me. I've never had a lifter fail. I had a soft lobed factory cam though that took out a couple lifters (just made their wheels a little rough). Katech and I agree on the beehives with the 110.

I already have the right ID perches for the beehives and the original PRC guides, assuming they are still in spec. If they're not then I'll send them to AHP for some MS 90s.

I have 109K on the car now and I'm the original owner, buying it 12/06.

Another juicy tidbit... A With 88K on my engine I changed to the PRCs just to be safe. I then sent my factory heads to WCCH and every-single-valve-guide was within GM's specs. I guess I'm one of the few.

Last edited by Undy; 10-27-2017 at 12:00 PM. Reason: added info
Old 10-27-2017, 12:12 PM
Joe Breidenbach
Instructor

Undy, thanks for the reply. My car had Torquer 110 cam put in at 35k miles. It also had GM CTSV high RPM lifters. Lifter failed at about 50k miles. Took the cam with it of course. The PRC heads that were also put on at 35k miles. Had the 675 springs. One of which failed at 42k miles. At that time the PAC 660 duals were put in to replace them. Bronze guides and exhaust valves are shot. About 15k miles on the combo.

Now the car is under the knife at DRM. They are specing a cam. I don't have those specs. GM LS7 regular lifters going back in. CHE kit in the rockers. AHP MS90 guides going back in (thanks to your comment earlier). Sound like they are recommending a solid stainless exhaust valve. DRM didn't seem to have any issue reusing the PAC 660 springs which have about 8k miles on them again.

So, the discussion revolves around exhaust valve choice as well as spring choice.

That is really interesting regarding your original guides....
Old 10-27-2017, 12:34 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Now the car is under the knife at DRM. They are specing a cam. I don't have those specs. GM LS7 regular lifters going back in. CHE kit in the rockers. AHP MS90 guides going back in (thanks to your comment earlier). Sound like they are recommending a solid stainless exhaust valve. DRM didn't seem to have any issue reusing the PAC 660 springs which have about 8k miles on them again.
Why? Who is they? No need to run the heavier stainless ex valves. Have AHP install (or ship you) a set of Ferrea F2042p 1-piece hollow stem valves to drop some weight.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:49 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Why? Who is they? No need to run the heavier stainless ex valves. Have AHP install (or ship you) a set of Ferrea F2042p 1-piece hollow stem valves to drop some weight.
Don't go back with the solid stems. If mine goes to AHP they'll be the F2024Ps.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:06 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Undy, thanks for the reply. My car had Torquer 110 cam put in at 35k miles. It also had GM CTSV high RPM lifters. Lifter failed at about 50k miles. Took the cam with it of course. The PRC heads that were also put on at 35k miles. Had the 675 springs. One of which failed at 42k miles. At that time the PAC 660 duals were put in to replace them. Bronze guides and exhaust valves are shot. About 15k miles on the combo.

So, the discussion revolves around exhaust valve choice as well as spring choice.

That is really interesting regarding your original guides....
Many folks over on CTSVowners forum with the LSA motor have switched to Johnson 2110 SLR LS drop in lifters and have been very happy with them. Over there, those Caddilac Racing lifters with the ceramic ***** have a bad reputation of being loud and not lasting very long; I wouldn't use them if someone gave them to me for free.

I went with the Johnson 2110's on my build and are what GM specs in all of their new COPO Camaro's. I couldn't be happier as they are super quiet on top of being a better (durability and performance) lifter than the GM LS7.

Slow bleed down lifters have a better ability to maintain lift without collapsing or in other words the repeatability in the common rotation on the cam. Johnson (via GM testing I believe) told me the 2110 lifters maintained their lift 95% of the time where the GM LS7 lifters only maintain their lift about 50% of the time. What this means is that if you for example had a .630" lift cam but your lifters bled down .030" as the lobe of the cam rotates, you'd essentially only be getting about .600" lift out of your cam.

Also, notice in the 2018 COPO specs: CamMotion camshaft, PSI Max Life beehive valve springs, and note that even on these high-end motors, they still use the same lightweight sodium-filled exhaust valves. I went with the Ferrea F2042P's from AHP as well, but Kohle will tell you the GM exhaust valves are not bad, (the Ferrea's are just better for the same price.) Now with that said, LME for example, likes to use the solid one piece exhaust valves on the LS7, but they will build you a motor to meet your specific needs.

http://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/4-en...ew-cams-3.html

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...chart-2018.pdf

Last edited by BigVette427; 10-27-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:14 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Undy
As unreal said, performance valve springs have a limited life span, the more radical the camshaft and the harder you drive it, especially HPDEs, the sooner they need to be checked and/or replaced. 20k-25k miles seems to be an adequate replacement plan for most applications.

In my situation, the reasoning is more slanted to ****-poor springs that PRC provided early-on with their heads (the infamous .675" springs). FWIW, I was one of the first here to use PRC's heads (October of 2011). Katech's early bought and paid for spintron testing showed PSI's 1511 beehive valve springs having better control (less valve bounce) over the valves then they tested dual springs. That was true even with the tested heavy solid stemmed stainless steel exhaust valves. As I recall, this was even true with the cam I'm running, Katechs Torquer 110. FWIW, different cams and springs could produce different results.
Yes, when I ordered my PRC's, they had optional (bit more money) .700 lift duals so that's what I ordered. No issues so far.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:08 PM
Joe Breidenbach
Instructor

DRM (Doug Rippie Motorsports) rec'd the solid stainless valves. Also, it sounds like we landed on a BTR stage 2 cam.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:24 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

DRM (Doug Rippie Motorsports) rec'd the solid stainless valves. Also, it sounds like we landed on a BTR stage 2 cam.
That doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement. Ask them why they think you should go with that cam? Before you pull the trigger, make sure those advertised lobe lifts are measured with 1.8 rockers, not 1.7. Someone on this forum before has received a similar cam and those lifts were actually calculated on 1.7 rockers, even though it was advertised under the LS7 banner. Then, also ask what kind of lobes they are? Ex. endurance lobes.

BTR LS7 II: 230/246 .644"/.630" 115+4

Consider an LS lobe friendly cam from TSP's Landis LT1VE CNC cam grinder, where it only grinds cams for LS and LT motors. They can grind you essentially whatever you want on their .635"/.635" lobes and laser etch the specs on the end.

Cam Motion also has a lot of cool grinds that they've recently added to their website as well and I'm sure they could custom grind you whatever you wanted on their lobes, too.

Titan 1 LS7: 228/244, .648"/.639", 115 LSA, 112 ICL
LS7 Stage 3: 232/246, .630"/.612", 117.5 LSA, 114 ICL

Also, consider your cam overlap - take that into account per your goal.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/overlap-calc.php

Last edited by BigVette427; 10-27-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:59 PM
SPDKLZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by BigVette427
That doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement. Ask them why they think you should go with that cam? Before you pull the trigger, make sure those advertised lobe lifts are measured with 1.8 rockers, not 1.7. Someone on this forum before has received a similar cam and those lifts were actually calculated on 1.7 rockers, even though it was advertised under the LS7 banner. Then, also ask what kind of lobes they are? Ex. endurance lobes.

BTR LS7 II: 230/246 .644"/.630" 115+4

Consider an LS lobe friendly cam from TSP's Landis LT1VE CNC cam grinder, where it only grinds cams for LS and LT motors. They can grind you essentially whatever you want on their .635"/.635" lobes and laser etch the specs on the end.

Cam Motion also has a lot of cool grinds that they've recently added to their website as well and I'm sure they could custom grind you whatever you wanted on their lobes, too.

Titan 1 LS7: 228/244, .648"/.639", 115 LSA, 112 ICL
LS7 Stage 3: 232/246, .630"/.612", 117.5 LSA, 114 ICL

Also, consider your cam overlap - take that into account per your goal.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/overlap-calc.php

Yeah, that was me. BTR was really cool with sending me out a replacement on a 1.8 rocker ratio tho. A year before DRM completed my HCIE build Doug recommended a cam with specs 232/248 .636/.631 115. Fast forward a year after researching plenty of cams I decided on the BTR 2 on a Cam Motion 8620 grind. I don't know if the lobe profile is different than a BTR cam since it was ground by Cam Motion. I've put over 3,000 miles on it since I picked it up late may and its been great. Minimal drivability loss and it pulls hard to 6500. FWIW, Todd at DRM thought that cam had pretty high lift compared to what he is used to putting in.

Jesse
Old 10-27-2017, 06:12 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

BTR stage 2 is a well proven great cam. Great suggestion and will drive great with great power.

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 Z06 noise/miss? Katech Torquer and PRC heads

Old 10-27-2017, 07:50 PM
Joe Breidenbach
Instructor

Sooooooooooo, I have very little idea what Im talking about. This is a high $ learning experience and Im enjoying it. I appreciate all opinions and responses. Alot actually. That said, I respect Todd and Doug at DRM. We’ve had many conversations around the right path and I feel good about our direction. We’ve changed directions directly as a result of this thread and thats awesome.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:15 PM
Hallett
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Any updates. ?
Old 10-29-2017, 01:26 AM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

I love my BTR stage 2 cam. It makes great power and torque down low where you want it for a street cam. I have zero desire to go to anything bigger or move the power curve to the right at all, just to gain, what 10-15 peak...

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2006 Z06 noise/miss? Katech Torquer and PRC heads