Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

08 Z06 Troubleshooting Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 03:03 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I swear someone recently on here did a tourqer 116 spec cam, but on a cam motion 8620 core. Maybe they'll chime in on results.

I highly recommend staying under .635" lift for valvetrain reliability/longevity though.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 10-07-2017 at 03:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
big_mike_eu (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 03:44 PM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Received 360 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
I swear someone recently on here did a tourqer 116 spec cam, but on a cam motion 8620 core. Maybe they'll chime in on results.

I highly recommend staying under .635" lift for valvetrain reliability/longevity though.
Yes it does sound familiar. Not to long ago?
Old 10-07-2017, 05:58 PM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Z06Silverbullet
Yes you would need to get it tuned if you go with a different cam. I know between the 116 and the 110 is about 30hp difference. I don't know anything about the cam motion stuff. Thats weird you have no metal in the oil, great sign though. Maybe just a stuck lifter? Or still could be a cracked spring you can't see. Any of the rocker arms loose? Anybody in your area work on Vettes? I changed my exhaust valves to Manley 1.615 stainless when the heads were done. Also did Manley pushrods with the cam. .80 wall 7.775" length.
That's what I thought, I'll need a tune. I was hoping that I could at least drive it to the tuner. Saw this video, guys doing a cam swap on a G8. At the end they were able to start it and have it run before getting tuned (
), but I guess that depends on the cam itself. At this point I am hoping to be just lifter and tray replacement only, but if I end up needing a cam & springs I'll tow it to the tuner worst case scenario.

It's possible that I might have not seen a cracked spring. I'll have a look at them again before I dig in. Rockers looked fine. The only movement was side to side (very slight) only on the rockers that are not pushing open the valve. I would thing that is normal (having some play) given the OHV rocker design. Please let me know if I am wrong though.

Why did you end up changing the length of the pushrods? (Might be a silly question). With more aggressive cam, having a slightly shorter pushrod, wouldn't that decrease the lift? Or is that to help offset some of the other upgrades you did (valves)?

In terms of someone who works on Vettes in my area, we have Speed Inc (http://www.speedinc.com/). They are popular, but I have no direct experience with them. Sadly and thankfully the guys who took off my heads and sent them to WCCH couple of years ago are out of business. I am trying to avoid taking the car to a shop (trust issues with my other cars non GM). That's one of the main reasons why I learned to work on my cars, want stuff done correctly and cutting cost a little but. If I have to, I will take it to Speed Inc (as I don't know any other reputable shops in the area, haven't looked too hard though haha).

Originally Posted by C6Z06Silverbullet
As for bigger cam causing valve train wear yes if you go with an extreme cam if you stay with something like the 110 or lower you will be fine. Should you check on things more often, Yes. Also I have the stock lifters and rocker arms.
Just curious, learning the way of the LS, is there something specific you would check for? Or just a general inspection that everything looks good?

Thanks MTPZ06. I'll search around and see if I can find that thread.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:21 PM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Needed to change the push rods for the cam. You might be able to drive it to the tuners. I would do your research on shops and tuners. Look around in here for any guys that live in your area that know a reputable shop. I'm lucky that I have a great shop only 20 minutes from my house. No onel will take care of your car like you but I need the shop to be damm close to it.
big_mike_eu (10-08-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 10:04 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by big_mike_eu
Why did you end up changing the length of the pushrods? (Might be a silly question). With more aggressive cam, having a slightly shorter pushrod, wouldn't that decrease the lift? Or is that to help offset some of the other upgrades you did (valves)?

You change the pushrods if your pushrod length checker indicates you should. This is when you change the length of the pushrods. Any change to the valve train should include a check for correct pushrod length (milling, cam, lifters, etc). It is not always the case that just a cam will require new pushrods, but you should always check.
big_mike_eu (10-08-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 10:21 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mordeth
You change the pushrods if your pushrod length checker indicates you should. This is when you change the length of the pushrods. Any change to the valve train should include a check for correct pushrod length (milling, cam, lifters, etc). It is not always the case that just a cam will require new pushrods, but you should always check.
Agreed
big_mike_eu (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 09:32 AM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Correct, which is why i changed my pushrods
big_mike_eu (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 03:21 PM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Thanks for the educational responses guys!! I did some additional research regarding the pushrod length and it makes sense. I will check to see if my pushrods will need to be replaced. I am still debating on the cam. I guess at this point I'll see if my current cam is damaged and go from there. I haven't had a chance to work on the car yet this weekend, its been real busy getting stuff done around the house before the winter sets in. I'll post updates on how things are going as I start pulling stuff apart.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:23 PM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Question: If I end up staying with the stock cam (assuming no damage was done to the lobes) and replace only lifters and trays (assuming this is the issue) would you suggest to still check and ensure the push rods are correct?
Old 10-08-2017, 03:41 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Question: If I end up staying with the stock cam (assuming no damage was done to the lobes) and replace only lifters and trays (assuming this is the issue) would you suggest to still check and ensure the push rods are correct?

Depends on the lifters. Different lifters require different amounts of pre-load. If your entire valve train is stock, cam remains stock and if the replacement lifters are LS7 OEM replacement lifters, then no, you shouldn't need new pushrods (99.9999999999999% probability).

But as it only takes a few minutes to check, it is simply good form to always check pushrod length with a length checker. Any changes to valve-train components/geometry should always include a check on pushrod length. The pre-load on the lifters is very important.
big_mike_eu (10-10-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 11:24 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

You are recieving good advice in this thread. That said, if you keep the stock cam and stock lifters, there is no need to be concerned with checking the PR length. Hint; GM built 30,000 of these engines and not a single one were checked for PR length during assembly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan_the_C5_Man:
big_mike_eu (10-10-2017), CammedC6520 (10-09-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 11:41 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Old 10-09-2017, 03:39 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
You are recieving good advice in this thread. That said, if you keep the stock cam and stock lifters, there is no need to be concerned with checking the PR length. Hint; GM built 30,000 of these engines and not a single one were checked for PR length during assembly.
They didn't check guide to seat runout either.
CammedC6520 (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 09:26 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

They didn't check guide to seat runout either.
You got me on that one.. Hell, they didn't check piston to deck height, cylinder bore concentricity, cam timing, bearing clearances - the only thing we know for sure is the torque of the fasteners (because the assembler held the button until the light turned green..). ****, it's amazing they run at all.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 10-09-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:46 AM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Hahaha I guess that makes me feel a bit better, knowing the quality control wasn't too strict. Although, I will still look over everything I pull apart (strings, pushrods, rockers, etc) just to ensure its in good working order. When its all coming out of my bank account, quality control will have to be stricter
Old 10-10-2017, 11:48 AM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Depends on the lifters. Different lifters require different amounts of pre-load. If your entire valve train is stock, cam remains stock and if the replacement lifters are LS7 OEM replacement lifters, then no, you shouldn't need new pushrods (99.9999999999999% probability).

But as it only takes a few minutes to check, it is simply good form to always check pushrod length with a length checker. Any changes to valve-train components/geometry should always include a check on pushrod length. The pre-load on the lifters is very important.
Thanks Mordeth Would I need any other special tools aside from the COMP Push rod length checker? I know there's the rocker wipe pattern that would also indicate if a pushrod is too long or too short.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:09 PM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Quick update, haven't made much progress. I only took out the plastic PCV piping and intake (not the intake manifold yet). I was looking how to remove the radiator. Is it possible to take it out without having to disconnect the condenser (draining the Freon)? I am assuming I will need to remove the oil cooler as well as it seems to be in the way of removing the radiator shroud.

Get notified of new replies

To 08 Z06 Troubleshooting Engine Noise

Old 10-10-2017, 12:10 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Thanks Mordeth Would I need any other special tools aside from the COMP Push rod length checker? I know there's the rocker wipe pattern that would also indicate if a pushrod is too long or too short.
If you are **** like me then just a way to verify the length of the pushrod checker. You can count the number of turns and do the math to determine the required pushrod length, and then measure the checker with a micrometer to verify.
big_mike_eu (10-10-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 03:29 PM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Ever make any more progress?
Old 10-22-2017, 11:32 PM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Sorry about the delay. I've had my hands full with getting stuff done outside as we had our potentially last nice day for the year in the Chicagoland area. I was able to make a little bit of progress earlier last week. I think I only got to work on it one evening after work. I took off the hood and front bumper in effort the get the oil cooler out. I still need to get the shroud out and the radiator. The oil cooler was a royal pain to get out. These cars are built very tightly. Potentially tomorrow or Tuesday I'll spend some time to figure out how the get the shroud and radiator out, without having to take off the AC condenser.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: 08 Z06 Troubleshooting Engine Noise