Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

08 Z06 Troubleshooting Engine Noise

Old 10-23-2017, 12:17 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Nice looking car.
You didn't need to remove the oil cooler. I did cam, heads on mine and it stayed put. You can remove radiator and AC condenser as a unit and just leave them out of the way without disconnecting your freon lines.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
big_mike_eu (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 03:41 PM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by meanjoe
Nice looking car.
You didn't need to remove the oil cooler. I did cam, heads on mine and it stayed put. You can remove radiator and AC condenser as a unit and just leave them out of the way without disconnecting your freon lines.

Good luck!
Thank you

I wish I knew that, could have saved me a bit of work haha. I was trying to get the shroud out so I can see better how the radiator is held. Shroud was attached to the bumper, so I decided to pull the bumper, noticed that the hood needed to come off for the bumper so it was like a chain reaction hahaha.

Correct me if I am wrong, sure hope that I am, but if I disconnect the lines going in the condenser to pull it out as a single unit with the radiator wouldn't all the Freon leak/vent out?
Old 10-23-2017, 03:48 PM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Received 360 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by big_mike_eu
Thank you

I wish I knew that, could have saved me a bit of work haha. I was trying to get the shroud out so I can see better how the radiator is held. Shroud was attached to the bumper, so I decided to pull the bumper, noticed that the hood needed to come off for the bumper so it was like a chain reaction hahaha.

Correct me if I am wrong, sure hope that I am, but if I disconnect the lines going in the condenser to pull it out as a single unit with the radiator wouldn't all the Freon leak/vent out?
Not unless you disconnect the lines.
big_mike_eu (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 11:42 AM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Originally Posted by C6Z06Silverbullet
Not unless you disconnect the lines.
Makes sense. The bottom line that goes into the condenser is metal and I am a little afraid of bending it to mode the condenser and radiator out of the way.
Attached Images  

Last edited by big_mike_eu; 10-24-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:49 AM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

So yesterday on the way home from work I was next to a 2nd gen CTS-V (that will be the car that I want to replace my daily driver in a couple of years) at the light. Not sure what the guy had done to it, but for sure it had a cam at the very least. That thing sounded amazing. At that moment I knew since I am doing all of this work, I will most likely do cam. Before I was leaning more towards staying with the stock cam if not damaged, but I want that mean sound and the extra power. I am strongly considering the torquer 110. Just wanted to give you guys an update on the cam decision.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:29 PM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

So yesterday on the way home from work I was next to a 2nd gen CTS-V (that will be the car that I want to replace my daily driver in a couple of years) at the light. Not sure what the guy had done to it, but for sure it had a cam at the very least. That thing sounded amazing. At that moment I knew since I am doing all of this work, I will most likely do cam. Before I was leaning more towards staying with the stock cam if not damaged, but I want that mean sound and the extra power. I am strongly considering the torquer 110. Just wanted to give you guys an update on the cam decision.
Katech torquer 110 all the way. Never look back.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:26 PM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Hi guys, I need a little advise on how to proceed. I ran into a snag yesterday. I got some time to work on the car, separating the radiator from the condenser. The problem that I am running into is, when I try to pull the condenser up and off of the hooks. The lower left hook/tab (facing the car) will not come up. I found that the reason for it is due to the condenser line hitting the radiator. I was thinking of trimming the plastic hook with a dremmel to be able to remove the condenser without disconnecting the A/C line. Do anyone have any tips or alternate ideas of how to do this?
Attached Images   
Old 10-31-2017, 01:15 AM
All Stock Ls2
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

If it's a lifter go ahead and get new lifter trays to go along with the lifters themselves. Check the cam or whatever else may have been the culprit to begin with. I didn't read all of the comments before so I don't know if you mentioned it but if you haven't already fixed the valve issue that's so notorious on LS7s go ahead and knock that out too while you're at it. Best of luck brother
Old 10-31-2017, 10:38 PM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Originally Posted by All Stock Ls2
If it's a lifter go ahead and get new lifter trays to go along with the lifters themselves. Check the cam or whatever else may have been the culprit to begin with. I didn't read all of the comments before so I don't know if you mentioned it but if you haven't already fixed the valve issue that's so notorious on LS7s go ahead and knock that out too while you're at it. Best of luck brother
Yup, most certainly will get the trays along with the lifters. I am really hoping that the cam is undamaged, mostly due to any metal shavings. I intend to do cam upgrade in the process since I'll need to tear things apart. I had the heads done/fixed about 10k miles ago by WCCH. I got the stage 2 package, opted out on the head milling since I intend to go FI in near future. Thank you! I will most certainly need all the luck I can get
Old 11-06-2017, 11:20 PM
All Stock Ls2
Instructor

Yup, most certainly will get the trays along with the lifters. I am really hoping that the cam is undamaged, mostly due to any metal shavings. I intend to do cam upgrade in the process since I'll need to tear things apart. I had the heads done/fixed about 10k miles ago by WCCH. I got the stage 2 package, opted out on the head milling since I intend to go FI in near future. Thank you! I will most certainly need all the luck I can get
Seems like you've got all bases covered be sure to update us brother and if you have any questions feel free to pm me!
big_mike_eu (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 11:11 AM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Originally Posted by All Stock Ls2
Seems like you've got all bases covered be sure to update us brother and if you have any questions feel free to pm me!
Thanks brother

I might take you up on that offer as I start digging deeper into it. I am sure I'll have plenty of questions. Not much update so far. I had to do timing belt and water pump on my daily driver this past weekend so I haven't had the chance to work on the Z. I'll spend some time later this week though. Hopefully I'll have some progress to share with everyone
Old 11-09-2017, 09:07 PM
All Stock Ls2
Instructor

Thanks brother

I might take you up on that offer as I start digging deeper into it. I am sure I'll have plenty of questions. Not much update so far. I had to do timing belt and water pump on my daily driver this past weekend so I haven't had the chance to work on the Z. I'll spend some time later this week though. Hopefully I'll have some progress to share with everyone
Looking forward to it and if I'm not able to answer your question off the top of my head I'll do some research for you brother I know how frustrating cars can be and how much of a life saver someone knowledgeable pointing you in the right direction can be.. again good luck brother feel free to message me I'll be more than happy to help
big_mike_eu (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 11:23 AM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Hi guys, I got a little bit of time to work on the Z yesterday. So I thought I'd share with everyone. It's small progress, but still progress haha. I was able to take out the radiator, leaving the condenser in the car. I used a drammel to shave down the side of the lower passanger side radiator hook. Otherwise, the hook would always get caught on a weld edge on the condenser and it would not budge. I figured, didn't want to risk damaging the condenser so I with the this option. All worked out in the end.

I noticed that the power steering cooler has some damage on it. Not sure if it was the guys that did my heads few years back or the previous owner (that's why I don't like to take my cars anywhere). Do you guys think if should replace it while in there? It has no leaks, but the fins look quite bent.

Silly question, speaking of power steering, are the lines going to be in the way of getting to the cam? Should I drain the PS system?

In the meantime, I think the next item that I'll tackle is the intake manifold and headers
Attached Images    
Old 11-13-2017, 11:26 AM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Just straighten the fins up and your fine.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:56 PM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Originally Posted by C6Z06Silverbullet
Just straighten the fins up and your fine.
Sounds good, thanks C6Z06Silverbullet
Old 11-13-2017, 07:26 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

You can buy a small plastic tool to straighten the fins, I think I probably bought mine at HF, but you could get one from Amazon as well.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:48 AM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
You can buy a small plastic tool to straighten the fins, I think I probably bought mine at HF, but you could get one from Amazon as well.
If you have a chance, would you mind snapping a picture of the tool you purchased from HF? I've been thinking to stop by HF, might as well buy one.

Get notified of new replies

To 08 Z06 Troubleshooting Engine Noise

Old 11-14-2017, 11:30 AM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 905 Likes on 569 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

This should work. It's a coil comb used to straighten the fins on A/C coils. I got this one at an A/C supply house, but HF, Northern Tool, Grainger, etc. may have them.

Last edited by wjnjr; 11-14-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:17 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

If you have a chance, would you mind snapping a picture of the tool you purchased from HF? I've been thinking to stop by HF, might as well buy one.
That's the one, posted above..
Old 11-14-2017, 09:34 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,090 Likes on 574 Posts

Having owned a HVAC company for 40 years I've found those fin combs to be a POS. They will tend to tear the aluminum fins. I've always used, with tremendous success, a regular small "tweeker" pocket screw driver. It would take me about 5 minutes to straighten all those fins out, with a couple minutes to spare. I just had to straighten out a bunch smashed fins on a system I just installed in my Flori-duh home.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 08 Z06 Troubleshooting Engine Noise