Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Weight difference between stock rotor and baer two piece rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 04:29 PM
441LSXTT
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Weight difference between stock rotor and baer two piece rotors

I just ordered Baers two piece rotors for front and back for my 08 ZO6. Does anybody know the weight difference between the 2 front rotors and the back rotors? Each?? I think the stock front ones are 26 LBS each. Baer website does not give the weight.

Last edited by 441LSXTT; 10-02-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:57 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Don't recall seeing specs on those...using stock calipers correct? I imagine you'll realize some weight savings over OE rotors. Coleman two piece shave ~32 lbs off the car at all 4 corners, while racing brake's two piece rotors shave ~26 lbs off the car. If the Baer's aren't in that range, I'd say cancel the order and go with one of those instead.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 10-02-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:50 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Reducing weight with rotors is a crap shoot. The important part to understand is how the weight distribution is from the center. If the majority of weight reduction is near the hub, taking the carpet out of the truck/hatch is probably more effective.

If you want to drop weight with rotors, swap to base brakes and save caliper weight too.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:48 PM
VLCTY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Reducing weight with rotors is a crap shoot. The important part to understand is how the weight distribution is from the center. If the majority of weight reduction is near the hub, taking the carpet out of the truck/hatch is probably more effective.

If you want to drop weight with rotors, swap to base brakes and save caliper weight too.
Wrong... Switching from factory Z06 rotors to lighter aftermarket rotors (from PerformanceFX) can save as much as 6lbs of unsprung weight per corner, which is equivalent to removing over 100+lbs of sprung weight. It's a noticeable performance improvement on a Z06. Also, replacing the factory aluminum six piston calipers with cast steel single piston "base brakes" would be an absurd modification. I never heard of anyone doing that to a Z.

I hope your comments were meant to be tongue and cheek! Either way, it's all good.

Last edited by VLCTY; 10-02-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:54 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Tom is spot on actually. And for someone wanting straight line/drag/etc base brakes are a much better "upgrade".

I noticed no difference at all doing the light weight rotors. The weight is all around the center, so it is no where near the same as remove weight from a wheel/etc.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:59 PM
Ghost Knight
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by VLCTY
Wrong... Switching from factory Z06 rotors to lighter aftermarket rotors (from PerformanceFX) can save as much as 6lbs of unsprung weight per corner, which is equivalent to removing over 100+lbs of sprung weight. It's a noticeable performance improvement on a Z06. Also, replacing the factory aluminum six piston calipers with cast steel single piston "base brakes" would be an absurd modification. I never heard of anyone doing that to a Z.

I hope your comments were meant to be tongue and cheek! Either way, it's all good.

Look up MOI. The further away the mass is from the fulcrum, the more torque it takes to turn. Same as holding 5lbs near your chest versus in an outstretched arm. This is why removing weight from tires (assuming same diameter) can improve acceleration more than the same weight from wheels (depending on where the mass is).

Last edited by Ghost Knight; 10-02-2017 at 10:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
441LSXTT (10-03-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 10:00 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Tom is spot on actually. And for someone wanting straight line/drag/etc base brakes are a much better "upgrade".

I noticed no difference at all doing the light weight rotors. The weight is all around the center, so it is no where near the same as remove weight from a wheel/etc.
I have not heard this side of the story either to be fair. I would be interested in the science behind this as I was planning on dumping 2K into AFX rotors this winter if I didn't find a set used.

Everything I read supports unsprung weight being significant help. More so on road course but also in straight line performance.

Any runs to back up either way?

Last edited by User Omega; 10-02-2017 at 10:01 PM.
441LSXTT (10-03-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 10:11 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

I thought no-one sold Coleman rotors anymore
Old 10-02-2017, 10:19 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion
I thought no-one sold Coleman rotors anymore
Performance AFX Motorsports sells them. http://shop.performanceafx.com/C6-Z06_c14.htm
Old 10-02-2017, 10:41 PM
VLCTY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Ummmm... So you guys are recommending that the OP replace his factory Z06 aluminum 6 piston calipers and aftermarket, lightweight steel & aluminum rotors with base model brakes and removing trunk carpet to improve performance? Why would anyone do that?? Straight line racing or road racing, doesn't matter. Taking 24lbs of unsprung weight off any car with superior rotors is a good thing.

Regardless, I didn't see where the OP said anything about drag racing his Z.
441LSXTT (10-03-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 10:48 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by User Omega
I have not heard this side of the story either to be fair. I would be interested in the science behind this as I was planning on dumping 2K into AFX rotors this winter if I didn't find a set used.

Everything I read supports unsprung weight being significant help. More so on road course but also in straight line performance.

In theory do they help, yep. Is it noticeable in any way, not at all. Go ahead and spend $2k on them if you want, but odds are you won't notice a thing.

If we are talking unlimited budget, go ahead, do them.

If you are talking max performance for the dollar, and his concern is only straight line, he can sell the stock z06 brakes for $100, spend $200 on base brakes, save more weight and have $800 to spend on other parts.

Or he can spend $800-2000 on something that is basically does nothing.

I do have the colemans on my car, been there done that, one of the most useless mods I've done. I rather have a few nicer steak dinners than waste that money again.

And you say superior rotors? In what way? For drag racing, the base rotors are going to be better. Less weight, and less MOI.

Last edited by Unreal; 10-02-2017 at 10:53 PM.
441LSXTT (10-03-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 10:55 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

In theory do they help, yep. Is it noticeable in any way, not at all. Go ahead and spend $2k on them if you want, but odds are you won't notice a thing.

If we are talking unlimited budget, go ahead, do them.

If you are talking max performance for the dollar, and his concern is only straight line, he can sell the stock z06 brakes for $100, spend $200 on base brakes, save more weight and have $800 to spend on other parts.

Or he can spend $800-2000 on something that is basically does nothing.

I do have the colemans on my car, been there done that, one of the most useless mods I've done. I rather have a few nicer steak dinners than waste that money again.

And you say superior rotors? In what way? For drag racing, the base rotors are going to be better. Less weight, and less MOI.
Want to sell your Colemans?
Old 10-02-2017, 10:57 PM
VLCTY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

The rotors from Performance AFX are really nice pieces. 100% made in America. Nothing comes close to these Z06 replacement rotors.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:07 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Want to sell your Colemans?
Nope, because they are on there and I don't want to mess with my car.

They are at the bottom of $/performance ratio of any mod I've ever done, by far. If you are find spending that money, go for it, but there is simply better places to put $2k into the car than rotors, that wear out.
441LSXTT (10-03-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 11:54 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Here's a good article that discusses rotational weight. As you can see the ratio of rotational vs static for rotors is nearly insignificant when compared to wheels or tires.
hpwizard.com/rotational-inertia.html
Base rotors for drags work well (Norm with 9.46 @ 139.80 #2 on the internal list), but suck for the road course where heat is the enemy.

If you're interested in some static weight testing for drags, I did this several years ago.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ght-tests.html
441LSXTT (10-03-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Weight difference between stock rotor and baer two piece rotors

Quick Reply: [Z06] Weight difference between stock rotor and baer two piece rotors