Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Finally got my AHP Heads and Cam installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 09:21 PM
B Mac
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Finally got my AHP Heads and Cam installed

I finally got my AHP Heads and Cam installed on my 2007 Z06 and got it tuned. Kohle at AHP is the best guy ever to work with. He answered any and every question I had. The heads themselves are a work of art. I got their package 4 head kit with the Street Port and Polish work and the Powdered Metal guides. I also went with His Cali 116 Grind cam. I couldn't decide what cam I wanted as I want my Z is a driver/cruising car. I wanted a decent power cam but drivability was a most as the wife likes to take long cruises in it. Plus I've wanted a Vette since I was a Kid and I plan on driving it any chance I can. The AHP Cali 116 cruises great at 70 with the cruise set with very little cam surge. Plus it gets down when you want it or need it to.

My tune guy doesn't have his Dyno Setup yet so I don't have my dyno numbers yet, but he's getting his new Dyno soon. We're going to run it on the dyno then, and I'll post numbers as soon as we run it. I have also have the best Tune guy tuning it. He's the guru for Vette's in my area.

I just wanted to give Props to Kohle, and AHP. I'll def use them again if I need anything else for my Z. Only complaint I have is I'm in Southern IN and he's in Cali so I can't stop by and visit the shop in person. LOL. If your needing to upgrade your LS7 heads or need anything for a LS motor give AHP a call.

I know one thing. I absolutely loved my Vette before the heads and cam install, but now I can't get enough of it. I actually miss the dang thing when I'm not driving it or at home to look at it. This car was a dream car of mine as I have wanted a Vette since I was a kid. I finally got the chance to own one and for it to be a C6 Z06 just made it all even better.
The following 2 users liked this post by B Mac:
American Heritage (10-16-2017), DPW_ (12-25-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 10:28 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Congrats
Old 10-11-2017, 02:16 PM
Texasthunder
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 381 Likes on 281 Posts

Corvette love. Almost as good as sex!!!!
Old 10-11-2017, 03:38 PM
LS1Steve
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm looking at the same package. How did the drive change? Driveability, idle, power, where in RPM the power is... Details! Did he say this cam would pass CA smog? I assume you have stock exhaust (or will be putting on stock muffs for tests?) How much lope? Video!!!
The following users liked this post:
Stlbluez06 (12-31-2018)
Old 10-11-2017, 04:58 PM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by B Mac
I finally got my AHP Heads and Cam installed on my 2007 Z06 and got it tuned. Kohle at AHP is the best guy ever to work with. He answered any and every question I had. The heads themselves are a work of art. I got their package 4 head kit with the Street Port and Polish work and the Powdered Metal guides. I also went with His Cali 116 Grind cam. I couldn't decide what cam I wanted as I want my Z is a driver/cruising car. I wanted a decent power cam but drivability was a most as the wife likes to take long cruises in it. Plus I've wanted a Vette since I was a Kid and I plan on driving it any chance I can. The AHP Cali 116 cruises great at 70 with the cruise set with very little cam surge. Plus it gets down when you want it or need it to.

My tune guy doesn't have his Dyno Setup yet so I don't have my dyno numbers yet, but he's getting his new Dyno soon. We're going to run it on the dyno then, and I'll post numbers as soon as we run it. I have also have the best Tune guy tuning it. He's the guru for Vette's in my area.

I just wanted to give Props to Kohle, and AHP. I'll def use them again if I need anything else for my Z. Only complaint I have is I'm in Southern IN and he's in Cali so I can't stop by and visit the shop in person. LOL. If your needing to upgrade your LS7 heads or need anything for a LS motor give AHP a call.

I know one thing. I absolutely loved my Vette before the heads and cam install, but now I can't get enough of it. I actually miss the dang thing when I'm not driving it or at home to look at it. This car was a dream car of mine as I have wanted a Vette since I was a kid. I finally got the chance to own one and for it to be a C6 Z06 just made it all even better.
Very cool!! Congrats!!
Old 10-11-2017, 08:33 PM
B Mac
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Steve
I'm looking at the same package. How did the drive change? Driveability, idle, power, where in RPM the power is... Details! Did he say this cam would pass CA smog? I assume you have stock exhaust (or will be putting on stock muffs for tests?) How much lope? Video!!!
Builds great power early on but does flatten out up top a little which I knew when I bought the cam. Drivability honestly is like the stock cam with just a small amount of cam surge at 70mph cruising. It drives no different from stock when I behave my right foot. Now when I let my right foot go crazy it comes alive around 2700-3200ish and pulls super hard all the way up to around 6000-6500. I have stock exhaust with gutted Cats. We don't have to do smog testing in IN so I run with no Cats. I will be getting Kooks Long tubes, and 3" X Pipe as soon as I save up the cash.

I believe the cam is California legal. I think thats why its called the Cali 116 cam. I could be wrong. It has a good amount of lope nothing crazy. Kohle explained it to me like this. It makes the car sound like it looks, and he was right. I've had people follow me into parking lots to tell me it sounds awesome. My tune guy is going to drop my idle point about 100 rpms to give it a little more lope at stop lights and parking lots. The car has that side to side shake as it idling it feels bad *** sitting at stop lights with it doing cam lope shuffle.

I can shift to 2nd and mat it and it will light the tires up violently. My tune guy is guessing the motor should be around 600hp now with RWHP being around 540ish, but thats just guessing. I talked to him earlier and he's hoping to start working on his Dyno purchase in the next few weeks.

After having this combo I would def purchase it again. As its a great driver/cruising car that can be wicked when you want it to. My tune guy had CNC ported heads, and a BTR Stg 3 cam, and he really likes how my car performs. He said his did pull harder longer, but he said my car is so friggin easy to drive. He said his was a pain at times.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:05 PM
iw172
Drifting

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

nice!!! congratulations
Old 10-16-2017, 05:23 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

B Mac,

Great to hear your "addicted" to your C6z06 now with our Cali 116 cam it. Our 116 cam really is one of the best all around cams for the C6z06 money can buy... As you noted it drives almost like stock without any bucking or surging and has all the power and torque you want when you put your foot into it.

We have two main cam pacakges we sell and install for the C6z06... Our Cali 116 cam and our 112 cam. Our 116 cam if the more mild cam while our 112 cam is still perfectly drivablle but is more oriented for those individuals searching for the 600rwhp number.

B Mac thank you again for your buisness. If you ever need anything just let us know.

We have both our 116 and 112 cam packages on the shelf ready to ship out

310-326-2399

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/
Old 12-26-2018, 04:49 PM
Mark Leger
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Anyone have experience road course wise with the AHP 112 cam?
Old 12-27-2018, 12:09 PM
mayracn
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by B Mac
Builds great power early on but does flatten out up top a little which I knew when I bought the cam. Drivability honestly is like the stock cam with just a small amount of cam surge at 70mph cruising. It drives no different from stock when I behave my right foot. Now when I let my right foot go crazy it comes alive around 2700-3200ish and pulls super hard all the way up to around 6000-6500. I have stock exhaust with gutted Cats. We don't have to do smog testing in IN so I run with no Cats. I will be getting Kooks Long tubes, and 3" X Pipe as soon as I save up the cash.

I believe the cam is California legal. I think thats why its called the Cali 116 cam. I could be wrong. It has a good amount of lope nothing crazy. Kohle explained it to me like this. It makes the car sound like it looks, and he was right. I've had people follow me into parking lots to tell me it sounds awesome. My tune guy is going to drop my idle point about 100 rpms to give it a little more lope at stop lights and parking lots. The car has that side to side shake as it idling it feels bad *** sitting at stop lights with it doing cam lope shuffle.

I can shift to 2nd and mat it and it will light the tires up violently. My tune guy is guessing the motor should be around 600hp now with RWHP being around 540ish, but thats just guessing. I talked to him earlier and he's hoping to start working on his Dyno purchase in the next few weeks.

After having this combo I would def purchase it again. As its a great driver/cruising car that can be wicked when you want it to. My tune guy had CNC ported heads, and a BTR Stg 3 cam, and he really likes how my car performs. He said his did pull harder longer, but he said my car is so friggin easy to drive. He said his was a pain at times.
I dont want tobash your tuner or anyone but i have AHP head set up with BTR stage 3, full exhaust and ported intake and my car drives like stock. I made 608 on the dyno which was higher then expected but its a beast and drives totally normal. I had it tuned then drove it for a few weeks then went back and told him where i had some issues and he cleared them all up. Granted i cruise at 2k rpm i dont try to get any kind of gas mileage in this car as i run 100 oct in it all the time.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:56 PM
ssbowtie1
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mayracn
I dont want tobash your tuner or anyone but i have AHP head set up with BTR stage 3, full exhaust and ported intake and my car drives like stock. I made 608 on the dyno which was higher then expected but its a beast and drives totally normal. I had it tuned then drove it for a few weeks then went back and told him where i had some issues and he cleared them all up. Granted i cruise at 2k rpm i dont try to get any kind of gas mileage in this car as i run 100 oct in it all the time.
It doesn't drive like stock, trust me. At 2,000 rpm, I'm sure a BTR 4 will drive well too. Drives well and drives like stock are 2 different things. Can you turn your car on first thing in the morning, let it idle for 15 seconds, then go up a steep parking ramp at 1,000 rpm without barely giving it gas? That's stock.

I have the most mild of cams and I can cruise around at 40mph in 5th gear at 1,000 rpm without issue, but it still doesn't drive like stock. I still get the occasional buck in the parking lot or at slow speeds, especially while things are coming up to temp. The only cam that can drive like stock is a stock cam, everything else has compromises, some much less extreme than others.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:19 PM
mayracn
Instructor

[QUOTE=ssbowtie1;1598571591]It doesn't drive like stock, trust me. At 2,000 rpm, I'm sure a BTR 4 will drive well too. Drives well and drives like stock are 2 different things. Can you turn your car on first thing in the morning, let it idle for 15 seconds, then go up a steep parking ramp at 1,000 rpm without barely giving it gas? That's stock.

I have the most mild of cams and I can cruise around at 40mph in 5th gear at 1,000 rpm without issue, but it still doesn't drive like stock. I still get the occasional buck in the parking lot or at slow speeds, especially while things are coming up to temp. The only cam that can drive like stock is a stock cam, everything else has compromises, some much less extreme than other.

Wtf drives 40 mph at 1000 rpm and why? Buy a Prius. Yes i can drive up steep *** hill cold or hot. i do not get bucking or surging driving around either. Its called using the clutch not gas and my car does this no problem. Not sure what your even talking about.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:31 PM
ssbowtie1
Pro

So you say your car drives like stock yet you tool around at 2k rpm and just slip your clutch anytime you need to navigate hills and slow speeds. Yup sounds exactly like stock

And in fact I was just in my car and it goes 35mph in 5th at 1,000 rpm, because I don't need to beat on it every second like a child. And guess what, it still doesn't drive like stock.

If you don't know what stock drives like, don't try to claim your car drives stock. Drives well (in your opinion) and drives stock are not the same. I guess your tuner defied the laws of physics when tuning your car.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:37 PM
mayracn
Instructor

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1
So you say your car drives like stock yet you tool around at 2k rpm and just slip your clutch anytime you need to navigate hills and slow speeds. Yup sounds exactly like stock

And in fact I was just in my car and it goes 35mph in 5th at 1,000 rpm, because I don't need to beat on it every second like a child. And guess what, it still doesn't drive like stock.

If you don't know what stock drives like, don't try to claim your car drives stock. Drives well (in your opinion) and drives stock are not the same. I guess your tuner defied the laws of physics when tuning your car.
Do you know that lugging the engine and drive train as you like to do is almost the worst thing you can do to it? Guessing not. Driving at 2k in a car that has a 7k red line is hardly abusing my car. Your driving your car like a child not the other way around. Sounds more like a girl actually. My car drives no different. Starts the same and drives the same. Just some drone from exhaust which can get old at times but doesn't bother me much so yes i guess my tuner is deifying gravity as you say. In my opinion you should have bought a different car since your so fragile.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:45 PM
mayracn
Instructor

Bottom line AHP does great work. Id recommend them to anyone for work.
7out7 (04-22-2019)
Old 12-27-2018, 01:50 PM
ssbowtie1
Pro

Driving at that rpm and being able to are 2 different things. I don't need to prove my manlihood to you by telling you that I drive my car like a moron and claim it drives stock. And btw gravity is not the only law of physics

The takeaway here for anyone reading this thread is everything has consequences, don't over cam your car if you're just looking to cruise around. I've seen it time and time again, people over cam their car and it takes the fun out of driving it. And it's usually due to people on the forums claiming that their BTR 3 and 4 cams drive stock, which they most definitely do not.
bjmsam (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 01:55 PM
mayracn
Instructor

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1
Driving at that rpm and being able to are 2 different things. I don't need to prove my manlihood to you by telling you that I drive my car like a moron and claim it drives stock. And btw gravity is not the only law of physics

The takeaway here for anyone reading this thread is everything has consequences, don't over cam your car if you're just looking to cruise around. I've seen it time and time again, people over cam their car and it takes the fun out of driving it. And it's usually due to people on the forums claiming that their BTR 3 and 4 cams drive stock, which they most definitely do not.
Listening to a guy that clearly never hits the throttle and drives around in parking lots. How would this info from him be any good? The takeaway should be that AHP does great work. Not your lack of driving your car and using the gas pedal due to being to afraid or worrying about gas mileage in a car with a 7 liter in it lmao.

Last edited by mayracn; 12-27-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally got my AHP Heads and Cam installed

Old 12-27-2018, 02:02 PM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Do you know that lugging the engine and drive train as you like to do is almost the worst thing you can do to it? Guessing not. Driving at 2k in a car that has a 7k red line is hardly abusing my car. Your driving your car like a child not the other way around. Sounds more like a girl actually. My car drives no different. Starts the same and drives the same. Just some drone from exhaust which can get old at times but doesn't bother me much so yes i guess my tuner is deifying gravity as you say. In my opinion you should have bought a different car since your so fragile.
Do you know that with a BTR Stage 3 you're lugging the engine in operating ranges where the stock cam would be just fine with a few degrees of retard? Guessing not.

The rest of this comment is some of the most asinine crap I've seen on this forum to date.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:07 PM
mayracn
Instructor

Originally Posted by freddyvette
Do you know that with a BTR Stage 3 you're lugging the engine in operating ranges where the stock cam would be just fine with a few degrees of retard? Guessing not.

The rest of this comment is some of the most asinine crap I've seen on this forum to date.
Um im not lugging my engine or drive train? Driving around at 1000 rpm sure is. stock or not. Funny though.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:41 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Bottom line AHP does great work. Id recommend them to anyone for work.

Thanks for the Nice words mayracn!!!!

https://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

Quick Reply: [Z06] Finally got my AHP Heads and Cam installed