Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Help with Z06 known issues before purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 09:01 PM
Attack Position 23
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help with Z06 known issues before purchase

Hello All,

I am currently looking at purchasing a 08-11 Z06. I’ve been scouring the forums looking at potential problems. I did read the sticky link for the Valve Issue and it sounds like it is a large amount of Z06’s have this issue. Any years seeming to be better or worse than others with that issue?
Also, I have ran into two people that have had late model C6 Z06’s that have had issues with missfirings with Cyclinder #6 causing the catalytic converter to clog and the motor to go. One used his car for track use and the other for car shows only. Anyone else have this issue with their Z?
With all of these issues should I sway away from buying a Z06? It’s seems like a lot of people are having issues with these cars.
If anyone else has good links to threads or videos on these issues and more please post a link. Or even just advice would be great.

Thank you you so much!
Old 10-11-2017, 09:06 PM
dart.deanda
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default they're pretty reliable

Just service the heads, $1500. Boom, racecar
Old 10-11-2017, 09:06 PM
B Mac
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The valve issue unfortunately is a known problem for all LS7's. I found out about it after I bought my 2007. Just get the heads redone and roll. I haven't heard of the misfiring issue, but I gutted my cats so I don't have to worry them plugging. That was actually suggested by my tune guy. He said they have to go with how my heads and cam are flowing now. The car was a blast to drive before. Now its addicting.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:27 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Attack Position 23
Hello All,

I am currently looking at purchasing a 08-11 Z06. I’ve been scouring the forums looking at potential problems. I did read the sticky link for the Valve Issue and it sounds like it is a large amount of Z06’s have this issue. Any years seeming to be better or worse than others with that issue?
Also, I have ran into two people that have had late model C6 Z06’s that have had issues with missfirings with Cyclinder #6 causing the catalytic converter to clog and the motor to go. One used his car for track use and the other for car shows only. Anyone else have this issue with their Z?
With all of these issues should I sway away from buying a Z06? It’s seems like a lot of people are having issues with these cars.
If anyone else has good links to threads or videos on these issues and more please post a link. Or even just advice would be great.

Thank you you so much!

Buddy. First never heard of that #6 cylinder problem so it's extremely rare to probably less than 10 Z's. You are living under a rock with a statement like that. Google, search this forum, Utube. Heads rebuilt, and done. Drive, mod more or don't and enjoy the Z for what it does.There are ten of thousands that have no issues after heads were rebuilt. These cars can be beaten on hard with the right upgrades depending on power without hardly a problem.

Last edited by REDZED2; 10-11-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:13 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

We don't say "Boom" on this forum....

Originally Posted by dart.deanda
Just service the heads, $1500. Boom, racecar
The following 4 users liked this post by TXGS507:
MTPZ06 (10-18-2017), REDZED2 (10-12-2017), SivaSuryaKshatriya (10-13-2017), zera (03-08-2023)
Old 10-12-2017, 09:40 AM
2FastCorvette4U
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

The dropping valve issue is real. Any Z06 you look at purchasing, you should know that you have to spend $1,500 to correct this issue if the previous owner has not corrected the issue already. I have never heard of an issue with the #6 cylinder and I have been on this forum for over a decade. I have owned MKIV turbo Supra's, 03 Cobra's and even Lambo's.. All of the cars I owned needed something to be corrected for it to run better. Performance cars require care.. If you want something that doesn't require a little money and some care, I suggest you look at a Honda.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:14 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by 2FastCorvette4U
The dropping valve issue is real. Any Z06 you look at purchasing, you should know that you have to spend $1,500 to correct this issue if the previous owner has not corrected the issue already. I have never heard of an issue with the #6 cylinder and I have been on this forum for over a decade. I have owned MKIV turbo Supra's, 03 Cobra's and even Lambo's.. All of the cars I owned needed something to be corrected for it to run better. Performance cars require care.. If you want something that doesn't require a little money and some care, I suggest you look at a Honda.
& well said, especially last sentence.

Once heads are done LS7 is a spectacular power plant.
It's spectacular anyway, save for a possibility it might frag.

Although only anecdotal bought my '08 new, first owner.
Now 58K easily the most reliable car I've ever owned, HP or otherwise.
Oh, and 100x more enjoyable to drive.

BTW I've heard many-a-negative story re Honda reliability, too.
When a Honda's bad it's real bad, almost always to do w/ engine.
Honda's dealers are mercenaries working for Honda, no sense relying on them for a fair shake.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:52 PM
80atez
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

'07 roller bearing issues probably all fixed by now
'06 roof flying off is old news (my '08 STILL smells like glue from overcompensation)
Gas leak issues on C6's but not sure if that's common or not
clutchs can fail, like all cars

Only one I've had myself is the valve guide issue and it's fixed prior to grenading. I would recommend you believe the hype on that one.

I think about now early c6z06's are at a really nice price, I think it's about the best car you can get for upper 30's / low 40's.. I'll even sell you mine for $66k, that's what I paid minus inflation. And no less... That should tell you something. ; )
Old 10-13-2017, 04:41 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 80atez
'07 roller bearing issues probably all fixed by now
'06 roof flying off is old news (my '08 STILL smells like glue from overcompensation)
Gas leak issues on C6's but not sure if that's common or not
clutchs can fail, like all cars

Only one I've had myself is the valve guide issue and it's fixed prior to grenading. I would recommend you believe the hype on that one.

I think about now early c6z06's are at a really nice price, I think it's about the best car you can get for upper 30's / low 40's.. I'll even sell you mine for $66k, that's what I paid minus inflation. And no less... That should tell you something. ; )
Roller bearing affected a couple hundred Z's in 2007.
All 2006 roofs have been fixed that needed it.
Gas leaks are few and far between.
These cars have very few issues when buying used and doing research on the particular Z you are looking at. Use common sense.

Last edited by REDZED2; 10-13-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:04 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Head light recall
Steering wheel sensor recall
Axle nut TSB
End links go out quickly
Shifter bushings wear and cause issues
Master cylinder issues
Fuel pump splitting
HVAC control failure is becoming common
Shocks go out quickly and rears are poor even when working properly

Almost all these issues are easy, cheap, or common to all vettes.

Edit: Radiator Fan Connector Failure too. Forgot that one. I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch too.

Last edited by Unreal; 10-13-2017 at 05:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unreal:
JWingo (10-18-2017), SivaSuryaKshatriya (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 07:40 PM
SivaSuryaKshatriya
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Head light recall
Axle nut TSB
End links go out quickly
Master cylinder issues
Fuel pump splitting

Edit: Radiator Fan Connector Failure too. Forgot that one. I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch too.
I'll add that under lots of hard cornering (like what you would see from multiple track days) the hub bearings tend to go out. Fortunately you can buy upgraded ones.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:44 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Head light recall
Axle nut TSB
End links go out quickly
Master cylinder issues
Fuel pump splitting

Yes these are all mild annoyances that some only affected earlier models and higher mileage and or high horsepower Z's that are beaten on. Out of those I have only had the clutch stick to the floor. So CM and new clutch next year. Not everyone gets all of those.
...but the higher miles and use, certain things that are prone to certain cars wear out as on any car. My 08 feels, smells and looks 1 year old. 14k mostly easy miles.

Sounds like you got a lemon UNREAL. LOL

Last edited by REDZED2; 10-13-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:07 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

I didn't say those happened to my car, and none of those have anything to do with horsepower.

Recalls are recalls. Nothing to do with mileage/power.

Never had master cylinder issues. Never had fan failure. Only issue I've had out of those is end links and the recalls done.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:05 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

....hey issues with those things are all luck of the draw on build day and or that particular part that failed on said car. The C6 had nowhere NEAR the problems the first year or 2 C7s had.

Last edited by REDZED2; 10-15-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:16 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

#7 cylinder is the "leanest", or so I've read as it pertains to the air/fuel mix...inherent to the OE intake manifold design. Under load with less than premium fuel (or without race fuel), and especially with an aftermarket tune done by someone who isn't familiar with these cars, can cause detonation and cylinder wall failure (typically #7, but not always). Probably what someone was trying to convey to you.

Also, under those same conditions, a piston can come apart as well. Pistons and cylinder walls on the LS7 are not forgiving when it comes to detonation. Always use good fuel, and find a competent tuner that uses a conservative approach, and this should be a non-issue in most circumstances...but stuff breaks when beaten on. Such is life...
Old 10-16-2017, 08:05 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
#7 cylinder is the "leanest", or so I've read as it pertains to the air/fuel mix...inherent to the OE intake manifold design. Under load with less than premium fuel (or without race fuel), and especially with an aftermarket tune done by someone who isn't familiar with these cars, can cause detonation and cylinder wall failure (typically #7, but not always). Probably what someone was trying to convey to you.

Also, under those same conditions, a piston can come apart as well. Pistons and cylinder walls on the LS7 are not forgiving when it comes to detonation. Always use good fuel, and find a competent tuner that uses a conservative approach, and this should be a non-issue in most circumstances...but stuff breaks when beaten on. Such is life...
Yeah I have heard about the #7 cylinder years ago Mike. These engines need to run on the rich side and like lots of octane, which is what I am doing. I would never trust FI unless a complete new build with 9:1 SCR and forged pistons etc. Stuff happens with all cars. If anyone is scared to buy a C6Z then they should just take a bus or buy a bike.

Last edited by REDZED2; 10-16-2017 at 08:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MTPZ06 (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 10:11 PM
G8Pumpkin
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Not an expert by any means on a z06 as I have only owned mine for 6 weeks bought 2011 used 21,000mi. Personally not convinced on the later models of the valve issue but I have put in the comp cam trunion upgrade after further digging and if I was doing it again would probably go with Staub engineering upgrade instead and no I do not live in fear of a valve failure. Have had it tuned by a local LS HP tuner and it goes like a missile now. Hate the run flats but there is no supply currently for Continentals in 19/20 sizes have them on order and probably wont get them until next year now. Had an alignment done it was very close to stock specs tramlined badly went with Pfadt street specs and it is a vast improvement. still hunting down one last issue which is a slight variance in idle speed it hunts up and down 200 rpm shows as a vibration at 60 in 4th as you are just barely on the throttle, I will find a solution to this problem. My tuner explained something interesting there are only 2 ignition timing tables so if the knock sensors pick up any knock at all it retards the timing and it not a proportional thing its one or the other and if you read the manual for a z06 it says 93 octane, so on regular premium or less you will find it doesnt run very good as it will knock the timing back so in theory it can run on 87 so 93 it is for me. Bang for the buck mine puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. PS it only says premium on the fuel door but doesnt specify the octane.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Z06 known issues before purchase

Old 10-19-2017, 06:59 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Your tuner should have tuned/adjusted for whatever octane is in the car, so 91/93/etc is irrelavant once tuned. A stock z06 runs fine on 91.

Valve issue is very real on later model cars. Comp trunion is a big downgrade and has the potential to hurt your motor. It should be removed ASAP before problems occur.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:35 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Your tuner should have tuned/adjusted for whatever octane is in the car, so 91/93/etc is irrelavant once tuned. A stock z06 runs fine on 91.

Valve issue is very real on later model cars. Comp trunion is a big downgrade and has the potential to hurt your motor. It should be removed ASAP before problems occur.
Valve guides affect all LS7's (C6Z, 427 Vert's, Camaro Z/28).

Just Goggle Comp trunion failure. Here's what will eventually happen to your Comp trunion bearings:

Last edited by MTPZ06; 10-19-2017 at 01:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
REDZED2 (10-22-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 07:08 PM
dkz
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 2FastCorvette4U
hey now it's 2017 hondas are fast.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help with Z06 known issues before purchase