Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Used C6 Z06 at Carmax - Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 12:19 AM
csvette8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by American Heritage
It was nice speaking with you the other day.

We have replaced a few sets of heads on C6z06's through Maxcare warranty (carmax's warranty company). I will say that while it is possible to get out of spec heads replaced through them our experience has been that they like to call it "normal wear and tear" (even know its not NORMAL wear and tear) if the car has over 40,000 miles so I would hesitate on the maxcare warranty with anything but a lower mileage vehicle.
On the other foot company's like GMPP, GMEPP, Ally and several other are much easier to work with when it comes to replacing major components.

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/
Thanks! Hopefully I can find one. If I find the right one without the heads done, you know where I'll be coming.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:55 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by csvette8
Thanks! Hopefully I can find one. If I find the right one without the heads done, you know where I'll be coming.
Sounds good.
Sent you a reply to your PM this morning.

Let us know if you need anything.

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/
Old 10-18-2017, 08:15 PM
Yarbie
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 218 Posts

Runnnnnn. Carmax cars are the worst in the business. Tons of cars with problems and warranty issues.
stay away.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:48 AM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by csvette8
Hello,

I went to checkout a 08' z06 16k miles at Carmax this afternoon. I did notice a few things and I wanted your thoughts.

It drove beautifully.
There was a slight suspension type rattle/noise going over bumps in the parking lot. It might've been something in the trunk. Is this normal?
Under the hood, I noticed a yellow oxidization by the header. Might be the from a crummy engine detail. (see below)
The clutch fluid was quite dark, but I heard this could be normal if it hasn't been recently swapped out.
Oil level was at the top third dot.
Noticed a sizzling sound from the engine. Like when your cooking meat on the bbq and the fat drops to the flame.

I would get the MaxCare warranty for $1,500 (75k/6 year). There is a 5 day cooling off period and I could have the car inspected and if anything, I could bring the car back for a refund.

If you guys can give any advice or insight, I would love to hear it. I'm considering it buying it.

"Suspension rattle or noise"
Could be sway bar end links or loose axle nut. put a wrench on all the bolts as soon as you get the car. First check the cubby holes and see if there is something in there moving around

Yellow Oxidation
Could be anything, pull the coil cover and inspect for anything abnormal. Could be A/C refrigerant dye from a previous repair.

Clutch fluid being dark
It is normal. do the "ranger method" a bunch of times and it will eventually be less dark

Oil Level
It's OK if it was checked when the engine was warmed up. If dead cold it is WAY over filled.

The sizzling sound
A/C drain drips directly on the exhaust, that is your sizzle

Stay away from any Carmax warranty it is a waist of money. They will swindoll their way out of repairing any issue. Like "its modified" or " you raced the car". They will find an excuse. Their 120 point inspection is done by high school kids by the way, just an FYI.

Occasionally there can be a deal found at Carmax, but I would completely go over the entire car before the "no questions ask return policy" expires.

I know they lie about the history of the cars they sell and somehow wash the titles and history clean. My friend had a 2010 White Z06 (41 made) and got in a very bad accident. The car was repaired correctly and was not totaled. $23K worth of damage. The car was fixed right and drove like a dream afterwards. He wanted to buy a condo for his son, so He sold the car to Carmax for a quick sale. They gave him $38K for the car. Fast forward about 6 months. A 2010 White Z06 appears on the Z06 Vette Owners Facebook page as a "Look what I just bought" thread at Carmax, in Houston, where the car was sold. Being only 41 of these cars made, you can bet it was the car. It was verified by some old paperwork in the glovebox that had the previous owners name on it. They sold it to him as a never wrecked, clean history report car. Ask for a Legit CarFax, not their history report. Carmax lies about the history of their cars. They sold it to him for $41k

If you do get the car, go ahead and factor in $2k for the heads if you do it yourself

Last edited by v8sten; 10-19-2017 at 02:53 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:37 PM
cseaman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by v8sten

Stay away from any Carmax warranty it is a waist of money. They will swindoll their way out of repairing any issue. Like "its modified" or " you raced the car". They will find an excuse. Their 120 point inspection is done by high school kids by the way, just an FYI.

Occasionally there can be a deal found at Carmax, but I would completely go over the entire car before the "no questions ask return policy" expires.

I know they lie about the history of the cars they sell and somehow wash the titles and history clean. My friend had a 2010 White Z06 (41 made) and got in a very bad accident. The car was repaired correctly and was not totaled. $23K worth of damage. The car was fixed right and drove like a dream afterwards. He wanted to buy a condo for his son, so He sold the car to Carmax for a quick sale. They gave him $38K for the car. Fast forward about 6 months. A 2010 White Z06 appears on the Z06 Vette Owners Facebook page as a "Look what I just bought" thread at Carmax, in Houston, where the car was sold. Being only 41 of these cars made, you can bet it was the car. It was verified by some old paperwork in the glovebox that had the previous owners name on it. They sold it to him as a never wrecked, clean history report car. Ask for a Legit CarFax, not their history report. Carmax lies about the history of their cars. They sold it to him for $41k

Carmax does not control what shows up on Carfax. A lot of accidents show up months later on Carfax.

$100 says your friend didn't disclose the accident either, and that's just as bad as what you're implying.

I have no bias as I have never bought nor sold a car there. This is no different than any other dealership selling a trade-in for $3k profit. Due diligence in buying a Z06, or any car, should be no less important for a consumer at any dealer than it is at Carmax.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:24 PM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by cseaman
Carmax does not control what shows up on Carfax. A lot of accidents show up months later on Carfax.

$100 says your friend didn't disclose the accident either, and that's just as bad as what you're implying.

I have no bias as I have never bought nor sold a car there. This is no different than any other dealership selling a trade-in for $3k profit. Due diligence in buying a Z06, or any car, should be no less important for a consumer at any dealer than it is at Carmax.
He did, well at least he said he did

Quick Reply: Used C6 Z06 at Carmax - Help Please