Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

clutch swap on jackstands

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 11:37 PM
Jwwesttx
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default clutch swap on jackstands

so im about to start ny clutch swap on jack stands...ive read every diy online and think im ready to tackle the project! i was just wondering how high do i need to have the car to be able to drop everything? and if anyone has any tips or tricks i would appreciate it i will be doing it alone!

thanks
Old 10-18-2017, 01:09 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

I know guys have done this on jack stands. It can be done but does not look fun at all. You will need a ton of lift in the rear to get the mufflers out. I would seriously discourage this before you check around. Pricing to have someone do the job isn't really all that terrible. I say that but am currently replacing my own clutch.... but on a lift. I sent it in for rebuild a few weeks ago. I cannot imagine this job on the floor.

Good luck to you if you proceed.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:52 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Nothing special and normal jack gets it more than high enough. Done it at least 4 times on jackstands.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:54 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

It's definitely doable but not going to be fun. Drop the cradle first, you don't need to pull the brakes lines. Lower the trans/diff and you can pull the axle-back off from there. Can't say for sure, how much clearance you will need. Roughly 3-4ft.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:02 AM
RecMech
Pro

Received 325 Likes on 148 Posts

I did my entire build on homemade jack stands (have since switched to a QuickJack).. It is not that big of a deal working off the ground. I did have to add extra height to get the fuel tanks out.

ATV jack makes pulling the cradle and driveline much easier/safer.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:27 PM
Jwwesttx
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jayyyw
It's definitely doable but not going to be fun. Drop the cradle first, you don't need to pull the brakes lines. Lower the trans/diff and you can pull the axle-back off from there. Can't say for sure, how much clearance you will need. Roughly 3-4ft.
when you say drop the cradle first do you mean split the rear cradle from diff and tranny or lower it as a unit then pull the exhaust and split it at the torque tube and pull it all out as one?
Old 10-18-2017, 03:30 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwwesttx
when you say drop the cradle first do you mean split the rear cradle from diff and tranny or lower it as a unit then pull the exhaust and split it at the torque tube and pull it all out as one?
Yeah, split the cradle from the trans/diff. Then lower the assembly down a bit and you can remove the axle-back from there. Lastly, remove the whole torque tube, trans, diff from the car as one unit.

Get notified of new replies

To clutch swap on jackstands

Quick Reply: clutch swap on jackstands