Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Initial impressions of "new to me" ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 05:05 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Initial impressions of "new to me" ZR1

First off, thanks to all who were supportive and looking out for me as I searched for a mint condition ZR1. I found her. 2011 JSB, 2 owner car, with a whopping 478 miles when it was dropped off yesterday evening.

It was late last night, and I didn't get to drive it much, but after work today took it for a 25 mile spin.

Car is drop-dead gorgeous and "as advertised." I purchased it from The Toy Barn in Dublin, OH and had it shipped enclosed to TX. Only mods are clear bra on the entire car (except rear) and Akrapovic exhaust. The clear bra has a couple of very, very tiny bubbles in a couple of spots that are hard to see, and the driver's side mirror needs to be redone... otherwise, it looks fine. I've never had a car with this installed before, so we'll see how I like it. I think it slightly modifies the color in certain light, but that may be my 49yr old eyes playing tricks on me.

All I really have to compare this car to performance-wise is my 2002 C5Z that has had a Lingenfelter Stage 2 twin-turbo kit on it for 13+ years. I had a 2012 Centennial GS with heads/blower, but it was an automatic.

The clutch pedal effort on this car seems very light. I have a twin-disc DYAD clutch in my C5Z and it grabs harder, but is also tougher on the left knee... not bad, but certainly not as light as this one is.

Brakes are amazing. Handling is off-the-chart. Suspension is definitely more taut than the GS, with both in Tour mode. But it isn't unbearable. Fortunately our roads here are very good. Acceleration is not at the level of my C5Z, but that car makes ~650rwhp, so I wouldn't expect it to be. However, with TC off, it rips good. Accelerates through the spin in 1st, grab 2nd and barks the tires as the acceleration continues. It's 70^F here today in N. Dallas... I think adding more power will definitely necessitate new/different tires. Thinking 19/19 setup with R888. Acceleration is effortless in just about any gear and any rpm... again, not surprising to me, given the positive displacement blower. Power on demand, for sure. I need to read up on all the various performance modes this thing offers.

Akrapovic exhaust sounds nice (it is the axle back setup), but I'm not sure the dual mode valves are opening at WOT. I know they are open when the car is off, and they close once it fires up and running at idle. I may wire them open and see. Just doesn't seem to get much louder over 3000rpm at WOT. My GS had dual mode and it was _loud_ with the baffles open, both before and after I put headers on it. That car also had heads and cam as well as a blower.

Interior is absolutely spotless, as it should be with 500 miles on it. I'm very pleased with the 2011 seats. I know the '12-'13 seats are nicer, and I liked the seats in my '12 GS. But these are more than ample for me. It's a C6 Vette... we all know it isn't the _latest, greatest, or nicest_ interior. I'm not into bells and whistles, so it suits me fine.

I am disappointed to report that the car has a small PS leak. Few drops of fluid on the floor. Jacked it up and it appears it is coming from the lines at the base of the steering shaft. Probably a PITA to remedy, but I recognize some of this type of thing may be present when we're talking about a 6 yr old car with so few miles on it. It was extremely well taken care of, but this isnt surprising to me, really.

I do plan on doing a pulley swap, headers, tune, M2W switch, and having my local trusted shop (21st Century Musclecars) give it a combing over to make sure all appears well. Probably ditch the chrome wheels for something a little less blingy, and a 19/19 setup will allow me to run a stickier tire, I believe.
The following 2 users liked this post by WA 2 FST:
IMXCITD (11-03-2017), Landru (11-04-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 05:18 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

To test your exhaust, just pull the fuse from the block located in the passenger foot well. They valves will stay open 100% of teh time...you should hear the difference if yours are not currently opening as they should.

Research "modified bricks" if you plan to add boost. Also, I've seen ZR1's with little more than a flex fuel conversion (for e85) and a tune add ridiculous amounts of HP...like 80+. If you have e85 in your area, maybe consider a flex fuel conversion.
The following users liked this post:
WA 2 FST (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 05:25 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Sounds nice! Congrats!!

Post some pics of it since you got it when you get a chance.
WA 2 FST (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 05:31 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Not sure why I forgot about the fuse... read about that all the time. Thx for the reminder.

We do not have E85 much in the area, unfortunately.

As far as pulley swap/boost increase goes, I'm not going to go crazy with it. No plans for a lower pulley. Just maybe a 2.6" upper and headers/hi-flow cats. If I can get this to 600-610rwhp, that would be sweet. This is going to be a street car. I don't do 200mph runs in Mexico and don't have any longing for an 800+rwhp car anymore.
Attached Images   
IMXCITD (11-04-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 06:04 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Everyone has their own personal taste on the wheels, but personally I love the wheels the car has on it as well as the aluminum wheels I have on my Z. I think they make the car. Can't stand painted or dark wheels on these cars. The ZR1 OEM are awesome looking wheels. Matt has told me that his favorite car is the ZR1, so I'm sure he will love seeing and working on that car.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:22 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by keeso6z
Everyone has their own personal taste on the wheels, but personally I love the wheels the car has on it as well as the aluminum wheels I have on my Z. I think they make the car. Can't stand painted or dark wheels on these cars. The ZR1 OEM are awesome looking wheels. Matt has told me that his favorite car is the ZR1, so I'm sure he will love seeing and working on that car.
On JSB, I don't plan to go with a dark wheel, but I really like the comp grey wheels that came on these cars... however, more than anything, I think running a 345/30-19 R888 would be the way to go, especially once I do a little modding. I think there is a new 325 wide R888 in a 20" tire, but not sure how that will look or perform, given it is a little narrower in width, and the sidewall is still extremely short too.

I'm planning to go to CnC in Plano tomorrow with my son. Would be great to meet you if you make it out!

Last edited by WA 2 FST; 11-03-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:23 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Beautiful ZR1! JSB is such a beautiful color. I had to have JSB when I saw JSB for the first time in person when I purchased my Z06. I have the competition gray wheels on mine and it looks so great on JSB. That or black wheels will look much better on your ZR1. Not a fan of chrome wheels either. Enjoy!
WA 2 FST (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 07:48 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Are you taking your ZR1 to Cars and Coffee? I thought about going. Haven't been to one yet but I understand it is better to get there early.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:32 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by keeso6z
Are you taking your ZR1 to Cars and Coffee? I thought about going. Haven't been to one yet but I understand it is better to get there early.
Yes, I'm going to take the ZR1 tomorrow. I don't go every month...maybe hit 2 or 3 a year. Yes, get there early if you decide to make the trip. As in, 6:30am early.

What color is your Z06?
Old 11-03-2017, 08:33 PM
DPW_
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

congrats nice looking ride!
WA 2 FST (11-03-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 12:14 PM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

OP, the car looks fantastic. As I've said before, you'll love it. Enjoy that bad boy!
WA 2 FST (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 03:47 PM
johnny3
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Jsb zr1

That is beautiful!! I like the bling of chrome. I have the chromes & these
machined face/gray cup wheels as well on my 011. They give a gray like appearance , have fun with the new ride.

WA 2 FST (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 04:04 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by johnny3
That is beautiful!! I like the bling of chrome. I have the chromes & these
machined face/gray cup wheels as well on my 011.
I really like the cup wheels and the machined face ones would look great on JSB. But if I'm going to get new wheels, I may go 19/19, so I can run a 345/30-19 in the back ... more options for tires.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:24 AM
Chi-Town ZR1
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 53 Posts

I've been following this car for a bit and very happy SOMEONE finally picked it up! Incredible deal on such a low mileage car.

Have you thought about getting a GM warranty? First thing I did was get a 3 year 36 bumper to bumper on my 09 a few weeks ago. It cost me around 3k but IMO it's well worth it. Then you can get the PS fixed in the next month or two (as you have to put 1000 miles on the car and go 30 days before the warranty is active). Then start modding once all the little issues are fixed.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:31 AM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

OP, congrats on scoring a beautiful, essentially brand new 2011 ZR1. I am sure you will be a happy owner, as most of us are. Thanks for the informative post. Keep us updated regarding your journey.
WA 2 FST (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 11:10 AM
Fagunza
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to the family. Love the color.
Plus one on all of the comments so far. If you are adding HP you need modded bricks for sure.
I got a solid 80HP with an E85 conversion and almost 40HP with the K&N filter with the carbon fiber intake tube. Also, you can shop online for a deal on a GMPP. I got mine for about half what the local Chevy dealer wanted - and it's already paid for itself.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:05 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Fagunza
Welcome to the family. Love the color.
Plus one on all of the comments so far. If you are adding HP you need modded bricks for sure.
I got a solid 80HP with an E85 conversion and almost 40HP with the K&N filter with the carbon fiber intake tube. Also, you can shop online for a deal on a GMPP. I got mine for about half what the local Chevy dealer wanted - and it's already paid for itself.
We don't have E85 readily available here in N. Dallas.

I hadn't thought about GMPP, but once modded, that is out the window anyway. While I understand giving it some consideration, I'm not sure it would save me anything... and if GM voids warranty because the car is modded, then I've essentially wasted it.

Maybe I'm completely missing the point (which was also advised by Arabian Oak).

Get notified of new replies

To Initial impressions of "new to me" ZR1

Old 11-05-2017, 08:06 PM
BAAD LS2
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2017 C6 of Year

Congrats from another jsb zr1 in the dfw area.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:01 PM
Fagunza
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST
We don't have E85 readily available here in N. Dallas.

I hadn't thought about GMPP, but once modded, that is out the window anyway. While I understand giving it some consideration, I'm not sure it would save me anything... and if GM voids warranty because the car is modded, then I've essentially wasted it.

Maybe I'm completely missing the point (which was also advised by Arabian Oak).
For GMPP work my mechanic told me almost any quality shop can get approved. (He used to work for my dealership but is now on his own so I have him do most of my work). However, the dealership has performed a couple of parking brake cable replacements for me under GMPP. (Melted the right side twice at the track - another reason you shouldn't set the parking brake when you shut down after some hot laps). The dealership had to remove my Akrapovic muffler to get to the cable. (I have other mods as well). So, the point is that the dealer knows my car is modified. Not a word was said - other than that will be $100 to cover your deductible.

Regarding the clear bra, mine started to yellow after a couple of years and it does make the paint appear to be a little off color. But it's great at keeping rocks from chipping the paint.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:33 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

I have Suntek PPF on my Z on the front bumper, hood, rear quarters, rockers and the roof. It's either the film or rock chips. I have it on my DD too and got that done about 6 years ago and it has yellowed. I have been told the new film is vastly improved, but if it starts to yellow, I may remove it. I would rather wax the paint, but can't stand rock chips. The other option would be to put new film on several years down the road, but it gets expensive. I also don't drive my car much or on the highways, so the chance of getting rock chips is lower. I didn't initially have it on the roof and one day noticed a scratch and had it buffed out, and then put the film on the roof.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Initial impressions of "new to me" ZR1