Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Just bought a Z06 and i have a lot of questions!

Old 11-05-2017, 01:20 PM
TLGman
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just bought a Z06 and i have a lot of questions!

Hey guys I just bought a Z06, its a 2006, it has what I feel high miles at 83k. The heads have been re done, but I do not know when,
secondly there was a cam put in the car, and this is the info I have on the cam in the pic below, what type of Power should this engine realistically be making? the rest of the car is stock. I read through some of the other threads and it does make a good deal of valve train noise, but from what I am reading that is to be expected with an aftermarket cam.

the other issue i am having is the drivers door window acts up sometimes- when i close the door it doesn't like to close its self back up that 1/4 inch. I will drive for a few minutes then randomly it will close. Is this a door button issue? any insight would be appreciated?

btw i feel like i got a good deal for the car, at 18.5k- it does need brakes. I got some OEM front pads with it any recommendation for rotors?
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2017, 01:50 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Thats a pretty damn big cam, so should clear 600+rwhp with ease. Overall power depends on mods. What heads, what headers, what intake, etc etc. Car could make anything from 535-625rwhp with that cam depending on other mods.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:28 PM
TLGman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Unreal
Thats a pretty damn big cam, so should clear 600+rwhp with ease. Overall power depends on mods. What heads, what headers, what intake, etc etc. Car could make anything from 535-625rwhp with that cam depending on other mods.
over all the rest of the car appears to be pretty stock, the previous owner didnt know too much about the work done he hadnt owner the car long was and older guy and was selling for multiple reasons. im going to try to find the owner who did the work this week, I have a ton of paper work on the car but not much else regarding the work done to it. I really want to know when the head work was done. I have never had a car make valve train noise like this but from what im reading i guess its normal with a big cam.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:43 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

An 06 with 83k for $18.5??? Wow!!! Unless there is something seriously wrong, I think that is a steal. Congrats.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:56 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by TLGman
Hey guys I just bought a Z06, its a 2006, it has what I feel high miles at 83k. The heads have been re done, but I do not know when,
secondly there was a cam put in the car, and this is the info I have on the cam in the pic below, what type of Power should this engine realistically be making? the rest of the car is stock. I read through some of the other threads and it does make a good deal of valve train noise, but from what I am reading that is to be expected with an aftermarket cam.

the other issue i am having is the drivers door window acts up sometimes- when i close the door it doesn't like to close its self back up that 1/4 inch. I will drive for a few minutes then randomly it will close. Is this a door button issue? any insight would be appreciated?

btw i feel like i got a good deal for the car, at 18.5k- it does need brakes. I got some OEM front pads with it any recommendation for rotors?

OEM rotors for around ~$90-$100 each work fine with OEM pads.

As for the window, it likely needs to be indexed.

1. Close the door.
2. Raise the window by pulling up the switch.
3. Hold the up switch for three seconds after the
window is closed. Release the switch.
4. Hold the up switch again for three seconds and
release.

Now it will go all the way up when you close the door.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:45 PM
Navy Blue 210
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 145 Posts

247*/258* is a large cam, for stock exhaust a very large cam.
Great Buy!
Old 11-05-2017, 04:54 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

As others have stated, that's a lot of cam...especially without the supporting mods. If that card is spec'd for 1.7 rockers, which it could very well be as it states "LS1"...it may actually be .687/.668 with our 1.8 rockers.

Most likely the previous owner returned it to stock as best as he could to sell...so without cracking the motor open, he just took off all the bolt ons. Maybe post some pics of the engine compartment...you may at least have a Fast or MSD intake on there.

With a cam that big and heads of unknown origin and age, I'd be doing a guide and spring inspection at the very least. If it's me, I'd pull that thing and go with something less harsh on the valvetrain.

How does it drive? Low rpm surging at highway speeds? Lots of bucking in parking lots at speeds under 15mph?
Old 11-05-2017, 05:10 PM
corvettenutz
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Btr ls7 stage iv cam ?
Old 11-05-2017, 05:36 PM
TLGman
Intermediate

thank you all for the replys,

It does buck a little bit in parking lots at very low RPMS, and on the highway if its reving down very low it will buck. honestly I didn't think it was very bad.

I am a little bit nervous now hearing that its such an aggressive cam.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:07 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,091 Likes on 575 Posts

That's a terrible cam for no supporting mods. I'd be surprised if it put down much more that 540 rwhp. It's also a really tough on valve springs and guides. I'd be doing a wiggle test every 2 or 3 thousand miles to check the guides. I would also be very skeptical if there was correct valve springs installed with such a large cam. To me it's a potential recipe for disaster. Anyone who would install a cam like that without matching it to the remaining mods surely isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. That's the reason I'd be very skeptical. It WOULD NOT remain the same it it were mine.
The following users liked this post:
REDZED2 (11-06-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 08:47 PM
TLGman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Undy
That's a terrible cam for no supporting mods. I'd be surprised if it put down much more that 540 rwhp. It's also a really tough on valve springs and guides. I'd be doing a wiggle test every 2 or 3 thousand miles to check the guides. I would also be very skeptical if there was correct valve springs installed with such a large cam. To me it's a potential recipe for disaster. Anyone who would install a cam like that without matching it to the remaining mods surely isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. That's the reason I'd be very skeptical. It WOULD NOT remain the same it it were mine.
Its really that bad huh? I do have a picture from when the work was supposedly being done- although you cant really tell much at all, here it is below
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2017, 08:50 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,091 Likes on 575 Posts

The hammer says it all...
The following users liked this post:
rpmextra (11-09-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 09:46 PM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Following
Old 11-05-2017, 10:31 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Big 'ol cam in that car
Old 11-06-2017, 01:13 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

So they took the hammer and beat the cam in it???

I'm just wondering if there were supporting mods to go with it that have been removed.

Keep us informed.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:28 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

I dunno but just a detective's guess from that one photo.. the dirty vacuum lines and stock intake manifold appear they may have never been replaced maybe just R&Rd for monster cam?? I don't know who would put in something that huge with nothing else done?? Must of been one hell of a tuner. Hmmmm.. hammer may be a clue

..just kidding. Do all the inspection you can top to bottom and see what you think visually. It's your Z now. You can make a million decisions. Stock rotors are great for stock pads. Good luck!!
Old 11-06-2017, 08:40 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

If it runs at all, you got a great deal for $18.5K.

I would have a reputable tuner go over the valvetrain...sounds kind of suspect.

Get notified of new replies

To Just bought a Z06 and i have a lot of questions!

Old 11-06-2017, 09:50 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Old 11-06-2017, 11:53 AM
JayhawkCPA
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 96 Posts

For the steal you got...drop it off at a shop and have them check out the valve train and the tune...then enjoy!
Old 11-07-2017, 03:12 PM
TLGman
Intermediate

So I got in touch with the Owner who did the work a litle over a year ago, when he had the Cam installed, he replaced the springs and rods with the parts included in a kit with the Cam, the valves are stock. He had plans to do the exhaust, and the rest of the mods but ended having to sell the car, That is why he went the route he did with such a big cam. it sounds like it was installed right and tuned.

it was also good to hear alot of other things have been recently done, drivers door window regulator, new starter, and some other little things. etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just bought a Z06 and i have a lot of questions!