Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 heads rebuilt going bad

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by rpmextra
Thank you.
there is a few more details missing here.
1. theres 2 sets of heads with 2 bills.

2. we paid and shipped them 1100 worth of guides that they ruined.

3. i got work done from them in 2015. they did their stage 3 cnc program on the heads. Nowhere on the build sheet nor the invoice do I see that they replaced my stock oem hollow stem valves with a much heavier valve. I will provide proof if needed just not easy from my cell atm. That being said, last yr I swapped cams and spring to get into a more aggresive setup aiming for 9s on the 1/4. not knowing my valves were SS and weighed 94g instead of 73g we set spring tension accordingly. Once I started my season last yr, I experienced a massive bog in the higher RPMs. Seb and I spent all of 2016 and then beginning of 2017 digging for it. I replaced everything from the fuel pump, injectors, plugs,wires, maf, crank sensor, cam sensor, played with length of the pushrods, then pulled heads inspected, all looked good. put a fresh set of lifters, still bogging. then this yr 2017, throw the stock cam back in and run it went 10.55 on the 2nd pass no more bog. We shipped a new cam and our complete setup components to Katech. we paid them big $ to perform our spintron test. passed with flying colors.....mmm wth right. then discover my recipe is wrong.....got the wrong valves. I was NEVER told this. this whole crap cost me easy 8k and the 2016 season, even purchased 2 MIR entries that I couldn't attend. those 8 valves at 17$ they can damn well give them to me. those seals well thats another. I asked them for new oem seals, LS7 seals are brown ex and black intake.....the ones supplied are blue and the seat is much thinner...they are jobber seals. I wasnt going to go there because its not the current issue. But livernois has never been completly stand up with us from the beginning.....this is basically the biggest straw. I just discovered this valve thing as the heads were shipped back from livernois before shipping back out to American Heritage. So there is no hiding I am more than pissed. they cost me 2 race seasons and seb this one. had they mentioned perhaps that hey your build we swapped for the ss manley, well first off I would have said hell no....and we could have adjusted tension accordingly knowing hidden variables.

But yeah they could replace our 32 guides at 1100.00
and reimburse both our bills fully Including those valves as they owe me those. I'll send them back those crap jobber seals i didn't ask for.
and yeah we'd can go back to doing our thing.
James, this is terrible news. I’d been wondering how your plans and and ambitions got derailed after you showed such promise three years ago.

It’s pretty clear what happened here to me, and certainly anyone else who reads this. “What do you want me to do with these heads” from the wholesale sales manager who is an agent and representing the company is completely contrary to “we weren’t allowed the opportunity to fix the heads” from the owner.

If my company had this kind of quality control I’d certainly deal with it.

It takes a lifetime to build and maintain a reputation.

That very valuable reputation can be irreparably damaged in short order by a lack of quality control and refusal to own up to the resultant problems.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joe_G:
rpmextra (11-11-2017), Sébast19X (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 07:25 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
James, this is terrible news. I’d been wondering how your plans and and ambitions got derailed after you showed such promise three years ago.

It’s pretty clear what happened here to me, and certainly anyone else who reads this. “What do you want me to do with these heads” from the wholesale sales manager who is an agent and representing the company is completely contrary to “we weren’t allowed the opportunity to fix the heads” from the owner.

If my company had this kind of quality control I’d certainly deal with it.

It takes a lifetime to build and maintain a reputation.

That very valuable reputation can be irreparably damaged in short order by a lack of quality control and refusal to own up to the resultant problems.
Thanks for the support Joe.
-This 2017 season was completely a waste and given what had happened, I hold livernois Motorsports 100% responsible for that. Had I ran my heads the way they had shipped, with guide clearances measuring way beyond and acceptable limit seeing quite a few at 0.0038 at the bottom, combined with 7200-7500rpm & aggressive cam..... We'd have a blown engine on our hands or 2.
-last season 2016 was a mess, I reached out to so many trying to figure out what could possibly be my issue. The time spent, the money, the disappointments, missing out on MIR, the late nights trying things, entries to track days to run a pass or 2 and go home. All that to finally find out they swapped out my valves without ever telling me. I must be on my 38th tune file from Seb and 20-25 of them are Seb trying to iron out that bog. I have the invoice of my heads rebuild, along with a break down of things included and nowhere do you see Manley SS valves. I would have never wanted that. I tell everyone to use the right guide, fix the poor geometry, and run those beautiful lightweight components the LS7 was made with. Frustrating to say the least. Watchout for me next Season JoeG. Expect big things.

I have pleaded with them on multiple occasions that I have now shared. I was replyed we are checking, bosses are gone, there in a meeting, lied to about trying to reach AHP, it goes on. They kept buying time. I reached out 1 final shot to everyone at Livernois and CC'd every email on the website asking that I speak to the owner, and after giving them 2 months of play to figure it out I warned I was done being walked on. NOT A SOUL of anyone from upper management took 2 seconds to reach out, offer something, tell me too bad, ​​​​​tell me something.

This post was fully their doing for letting me continue to hang. And they haven't backed up a single statement like we have.
​​​

Last edited by rpmextra; 11-11-2017 at 07:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sébast19X (11-11-2017)

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 heads rebuilt going bad