Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Used ZR1 purchase questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 05:31 PM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Used ZR1 purchase questions

I read the issue threads, but the question is have the dealerships completed fixes?

Yesterday, I went to purchase what was advertised as a 2010 ZR1 with 3025 miles " Pristine, one owner, garage kept, showroom condition ZR1 you will not find again. Just an unbelievably well taken care of vehicle". The dealership purchased the ZR1 from a local collector that needed to free up some room.

I showed up at the dealership, and the car looked beautiful in Torch Red. I was told that because the car was so rare, the car couldn't be driven first. First the deal on the car had to be made and accepted, then the car could be driven. I was like ok, that's a little backwards than im used to, but I could understand it to prevent joy rides. The car had been on the lot for a couple week, but nothing crazy. I just thought it was the price.

My concerns with the car was its a double edge sword. The car hasn't been driven enough to determine if the car had any issues, there was no warranty on the car, and the tires could have issues for a vehicle that maybe was driven a couple hundred miles a year. The good side was with so low miles, what issues could it have? The dealership said they did their 100 something point test line.

So, I negotiate what I thought was a good deal on the car. I was really excited with the price. As we are walking out to test drive the car, the sales guys said when they drove it yesterday to fill it was gas, the traction contact light came on the dash. My first expression was “now you tell me?"

I start the car up and let it warm up in the parking lot so I could listen to it. Sounded normal to me. The Traction Control (TC) light was not on, so I drove out of the parking spot. As I let the clutch out, I felt a shimmy/ or a pop on the car, and then the TC light came on. My 1st thought was the pop feeling was the car had been sitting a while im ok with that, but the wobbling was not normal. I drive maybe 50 feet at 10 MPH in the lot before the main road, and I could feel something out of balance. I make about an 8 mile trip around the dealership to determine if it has the vibration issues posted in previous threads around the 75 mile range. My head said this car's got vibration issues at every speed, and I couldn't place the problem if it was the tires out of round, improper balance of the tires, or the rotor issues.

I drove it around the block for a second time hoping that if the tires warmed up, some of the shimmy/vibration would go away, but it didn't.

Power wise and everything else, the car ran smooth and well. I doubt any fluids have been changed on the car, but I wasn't too concerned about it.

Then I noticed the leather on the passenger dash area where the airbag is located has bubble up. The stitching was very loose like it has separated from the harder dash underneath. I had experienced that separation with some C5s - C6s but the separation was on top of the dash. Upon further inspection, the leather from the top of the air vent by the windshield, across the dash to the passenger airbag area looked "stretched and bubbled"

I pulled back into the dealership, and talk with management about the dash separation, and vibration issues to address how/if it can be fixed. I have to go back on Monday to talk with the lead tech to determine the fixes.

1) My questions are having the dash separation been successfully corrected and if so how.

2) Have the pre-2012 ZR1s successfully fix the vibration issue with newer rotors and what was the cost?

Im good with the car if they will fix the issues. Ill let you know how Monday goes.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:43 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,334 Likes on 774 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Dashes have been repaired by a few but I would want a new one and wouldn't accept anything else. Rotor replacement is expensive but I know GM has replaced them I'd see if the dealer can get them and the dash "good willed" since the car has no miles. Maybe they would at least pick up part of the expense. I wondering if part or most of the vibration problem is the tires, the car has sat still for a long time. Also it's possible someone bent a wheel, that shouldn't be too hard to resolve.

Last edited by BearZ06; 11-11-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:19 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

The dealership should be able to remedy the vibration issue by checking the balance of the tires. While they are spinning they can easily see if any tire is out of round or a wheel is bent as well. Other than that it is most likely one of the ZR1's with the dreaded rotor vibration issue. Rotors are expensive. On a 2010 I doubt they can be covered by GM. I have experienced the rotor issue and it's not pleasant.

What is making it so rare? Is It the low miles or the Torch Red. Here's a listing of Torch Red ZR1s

Type the word Torch in the search block.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...rowse_2010.php

Last edited by ufaj26; 11-11-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:28 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Never heard of such a thing as only being able to test drive after settling on the deal. They admittedly knew about the traction control issue.
Unless you already forked over cash tell them you'll stick to the deal IF they fix the known defects before you take the car and get it in writing.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:32 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by stefuel
Never heard of such a thing as only being able to test drive after settling on the deal. They admittedly knew about the traction control issue.
Unless you already forked over cash tell them you'll stick to the deal IF they fix the known defects before you take the car and get it in writing.
Not sure who you dealt with at the dealership but I'd ask to speak with the general manager about the tactic used on you. That's BS.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:42 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I would have walked if they were not allowing a test drive first for these reasons. Sounds like they may have been hiding something with the bugs in the car. Those should be fixed to your satisfaction, or get out of the deal.
The following users liked this post:
Tampa Tuning (11-15-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 08:11 PM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

That's where we left the deal. We agreed on a price based on what the car should have been as described. If they fixed it, Id want it. I think they realized I knew a little about Corvettes, and wanted me to talk to their Lead Technician. I was like this should be fun! lol.

They did ask if I wanted to leave a deposit over the weekend and hold the car till Monday, and I said no because I doubt that someone would drive it and buy it. I told them I very much understand their position to sell the car.

This thread was just to determine if there was successful fixes for both problems and the cost factor involved.

Yes I found the serial number in the corvette center before I went to look at it.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:30 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Was this a used car dealership or new? I'm guessing used. The whole thing stinks of used car salesman BS tactics. Try going to a Chevy dealership and look at a brand new one with only a couple of miles on it. They will throw the keys at you.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:17 AM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

I would've walked away........
Old 11-12-2017, 07:32 AM
Chi-Town ZR1
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 53 Posts

This dealer sounds like garbage to me! As you mentioned you are doing the deal opposite of how any deal should be done...the normal order is:

1. I drive the car, no questions asked, with a salesman (so people don't get stupid in a supercar) and get her up to speed, run though the gears, put it in reverse, slam the brakes a few times, go left, go right etc etc...check all the headlights, brakes lights...etc etc.

2. After finding a few little things or in your case big things you start chipping away at the price. Since it's a ZR1 and they command big money still i'd always be looking for 2-3-4K off the price...keep in mind these dealers mark up 7-10k on a car like that...

3. Get everything sorted, agree on a price OR don't and leave.

4. The dealer calls you for the next 3 weeks, leaving you messages on how they can do a better deal if you simply COME IN TODAY. You should wait a week on this step and enjoy getting the car for even less.

5. Do a smoky burnout with those old tires on your way out the dealer, that's the best way to tell them thanks!
Zap City (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 09:39 AM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning

2) Have the pre-2012 ZR1s successfully fix the vibration issue with newer rotors and what was the cost?
My '11 & '13 both needed the new rotors to stop the vibration in the 68-83 mph range. Both were covered under warranty at the time.

In your case, if the vibration is in ALL speed ranges, it's not likely the rotors, though it may still do it in the ranges listed above once you sort out the main issue. Better than average chance it could be the tires are flat spotted from sitting stationary so long. It may take a pretty good ride (10-30 miles maybe) to heat up the tires enough and smooth it out. Still, that old of a tire, damage could be permanent.

Still a little concerned about the TC light though, have the tech scan it for history codes, or go on another drive and interrogate the vehicle to see what's going on there.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:59 AM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

The dash problem could be caused by the air bag being deployed?
Old 11-12-2017, 10:16 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

In for the fix...
Old 11-12-2017, 11:54 AM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by OVR60
If it has the leather dash the adhesive turns loose and makes the leather loose. My 13 was that way the day I bought it new and dash had to be replaced.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:39 PM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by OVR60
The car fax came back clean, But not fool proof.

Originally Posted by BearZ06
If it has the leather dash the adhesive turns loose and makes the leather loose. My 13 was that way the day I bought it new and dash had to be replaced.
Thats whats happening to the leather dash in this car.

Im a man of my word, so im going back tomorrow to see how and if that want to address any of the issues.

I dont have a problem walking if they cant correct the issues.

Im in Corvettes and Camaros everyday for calibration, but Ive been corvetteless for 6 months as ive been looking. I thought this ZR1 was good enough and close enough to pursue, but maybe its not and the search continues.

One question is how many ZR1 owners have dash issues. I know some of the 427 anniversary additions had some dash issues,

Ill be at the dealership tomorrow at 1030am because thats what I agreed to. I just hope its not to make me feel good about buying the car, rather a conversation on how they will fix the car for I can buy it.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:17 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning
The car fax came back clean, But not fool proof.

Thats whats happening to the leather dash in this car.

Im a man of my word, so im going back tomorrow to see how and if that want to address any of the issues.

I dont have a problem walking if they cant correct the issues.

Im in Corvettes and Camaros everyday for calibration, but Ive been corvetteless for 6 months as ive been looking. I thought this ZR1 was good enough and close enough to pursue, but maybe its not and the search continues.

One question is how many ZR1 owners have dash issues. I know some of the 427 anniversary additions had some dash issues,

Ill be at the dealership tomorrow at 1030am because thats what I agreed to. I just hope its not to make me feel good about buying the car, rather a conversation on how they will fix the car for I can buy it.
Leather on dash of my 13' pulled away from round speakers and bubbled up as well. Was a nearly total absence of glue that caused it. Got it fixed perfectly at a local upholstory shop. Had to remove windshield. Replacing the dash is a huge job that you probably rather not do. They re glued it and you can't tell a thing. From Tampa area as well. If you want to know more just pm me.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:50 AM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

I encountered this no drive until after purchase at a Hendrick dealership when I was shopping for my ZR1. I walked out and drove to another dealership 40 miles away and bought my 2011 ZR1 after a test drive.

Get notified of new replies

To Used ZR1 purchase questions

Old 11-13-2017, 12:19 PM
Rich427
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry to see that you are going through this. I purchased a 2010 with 3500 miles on it in April. I purchased mine out of Fort Worth, TX, so I had someone go take a courtesy look at it for me before I cut the deal and had it shipped to Florida. There were a few more paint scratches than was described, but have been able to remedy them with a good buffing. Fortunately, I did not have the dash issue, ...for now. But I also had a slight vibration that wound up being flat spots. I have taken a decent road trip from Fort Myers to the Crystal River area and the tires smoothed out just fine. But, new tires are in my future since they are now 7 years old. I was also fortunate to not have the brake vibration issue on mine.

Well, whatever you decide, good luck with your decision. Mine is bone stock and I think I am going to keep it that way. With all of the mods I am seeing on ZR1s, there may not be many bone stockers left out on the market! LOL If you do get it and wander down to SW Florida, look me up.

Rich
Old 11-13-2017, 07:15 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Even that center console is bubbling up... weird. Wonder how the car was stored, as far as the weather conditions. Maybe that is a reason for some of the interior fit and finish issues, maybe not.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:18 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST
Even that center console is bubbling up... weird. Wonder how the car was stored, as far as the weather conditions. Maybe that is a reason for some of the interior fit and finish issues, maybe not.
That's an aftermarket cushion on top of the console, should be able to trash that I'd hope.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Used ZR1 purchase questions