Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] If You Could Do It All Over Again, How Would You Build Your Z?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 10:29 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Indepth
93K miles! Nice! I thought I was one of the few high mileage people on here aside from Undy.

I have no regrets on my mods, that could change in time but for the short year I've had them I'm ok with them. I have a big cam (LS7R) and your typical H/C/I/E setup most of us go to. I think a large amount of the complaints people have with big NA builds is a lack of their tuner's ability to smooth out the car's operation.

My original tune from what I was told was a good tuner in my area was horrendous and I was told 'its as good as it'll get'. Finding a new tuner that is very well known in my state, traveling to him, and having him re-tune it resulted in a car I can enjoy whenever I'd like with little to no surging in parking lots and zero surge on the highway while still getting 28+ mpg.
Agreed...the tuner is probably the most important ingredient
I've owned this car going on 9 years now and I still love driving it.

It's also important, IMHO, to make a clear distinction between street car and border line race car. If you mod the car to the point that you don't feel comfortable driving the car to a dinner engagement, to the shopping mall, to the grocery store, or even highway trips to bordering states, the car becomes more of a toy. If it can't be driven because it's too hot outside because you'll overheat, or because it's raining and the car needs drag radials to enjoy it, you may have gone a bit too far.

I've almost reached the end of the fortification of the driveline behind the engine, and I've reached all my performance goals for the car.

I just love the visceral feel of the car...it's a perfect mix of raw power and performance in an affordable package.

Last edited by FNBADAZ06; 11-15-2017 at 10:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Cone killer (02-28-2023)
Old 11-16-2017, 08:29 AM
gameover4
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

i dont mind the tinkering or the $30k spent in my build every time i smash the pedal. i dont regret it for second. it also alot alot alot of fun literally blowing doors off guys here in nola that think they have fast cars especially gtrs.
just me though, im an adrenaline junkie and love going fast on the street. i still planning next upgrades to get above the 900
Old 11-16-2017, 07:21 PM
NachosZO6
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
I just love the visceral feel of the car...it's a perfect mix of raw power and performance in an affordable package.
I agreed with everything you said until you said that. Are you out of your mind??? Affordable is the last thing that comes to mind with these cars.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:16 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by NachosZO6
I agreed with everything you said until you said that. Are you out of your mind??? Affordable is the last thing that comes to mind with these cars.
Yes, I guess I should clarify that statement.
At this time, the purchase entry point for a stock C6 Z06 is really affordable. A stock C6 Z06 hauls *** in stock form, but the cost to mod the car beyond stock is pricey
Old 11-17-2017, 09:02 AM
jammeejamm
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

i would have bought a v so my wife and kid and roll with me.

but i went to a track day, and now they will just have to wait their turns.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:57 AM
JDebler
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 135 Posts

At this time, the purchase entry point for a stock C6 Z06 is really affordable. A stock C6 Z06 hauls *** in stock form, but the cost to mod the car beyond stock is pricey
I agree! I never had a C6 Z06 on my radar when I started looking for my next project. Then when a buddy suggested it, I scoffed at the idea but looked into it anyway. I was amazed that you can get so much "out of the box" performance for $30k to $40k.

Modding it...yeah, that is a tad higher than say, a new Camaro. There's always the "LS7 cylinder head tax" that has to be paid but still...once that is done there is plenty of performance with no additional changes.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:47 AM
cseaman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

I dunno....I picked up 79 whp and 61 wtq for the cost of a BTR cam set up, a Corsa CAI, cat delete, and the following tune..so like $2000. Sure, there are turbo cars you can get those types of gains out of for less, but you're not sitting at 553 whp after either.

Last edited by cseaman; 11-17-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:18 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,073 Likes on 644 Posts

My only regret with the C6Z06 is not having the end game plan laid out in the beginning. That would have saved me a bunch of wasted time and money.

In my case I wouldn't have done the middle stage " head fix". I would have gone straight to what I am doing now which is the ERL / MAMO complete build. I would have sold off everything I am replacing now the first year I had the car while it was all in good condition.

Now that I know where I want to end up power wise I am having this engine built for this chassis. This C6Z06 chassis works really after it get's some set up attention for how I use the car which is on road courses.

This is the last car street car I will ever buy for conversion into a racing car. In the future, if the race track and W2W racing is the intended purpose eventually for the car, then I will purchase a car that's already finished. I will leave nice cars like this I buy in the future essentially stock and they will be much more enjoyable cars on the street.

Quick Reply: [Z06] If You Could Do It All Over Again, How Would You Build Your Z?