Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

If you had a spare LS7...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 11:42 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Default If you had a spare LS7...

I'm planning to build a new shop in the near future behind the house. I saw a used LS7 for sale, and it got me to thinking.

How much would it cost to swap out an LS7 if I paid someone? Just wondering if it is feasible.

Or how many hours to do it myself? I realize I would have to purchase the proper equipment. Not sure it would be worth the cost to buy what I need to do it myself.

I would love to take an engine apart and rebuild it myself. Never done that before.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:49 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 896 Likes on 685 Posts

I would start by tearing down a junkyard 4.8/5.3 instead of a LS7.

If I had one sitting on a stand, I'd do a Mamo top end, forged pistons, sleeves, stock rods, and callies crank. High compression N/A car.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:00 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Originally Posted by jayyyw
I would start by tearing down a junkyard 4.8/5.3 instead of a LS7.

If I had one sitting on a stand, I'd do a Mamo top end, forged pistons, sleeves, stock rods, and callies crank. High compression N/A car.
Thanks. How difficult is it to remove/swap? I haven't swapped an engine in about 30 years and it was a 60's era car.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:24 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Its easier to just drop the whole drivetrain out as one piece if you have a lift. Nobody can quote you a real time, especially if it’s your first go at it. I get faster each time. Nothing about it is “hard” just a matter of patience and obviously having fair selection of basic tools. I’d plan for a full 8-10 hrs to get the drive train out and setting on some jackstands or dollies for the first time at it.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:03 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Originally Posted by phipp85
Its easier to just drop the whole drivetrain out as one piece if you have a lift. Nobody can quote you a real time, especially if it’s your first go at it. I get faster each time. Nothing about it is “hard” just a matter of patience and obviously having fair selection of basic tools. I’d plan for a full 8-10 hrs to get the drive train out and setting on some jackstands or dollies for the first time at it.
Wow that's not too bad. So it is easier to drop it out the bottom? That makes sense.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:22 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

This is a C5, but it's fundamentally the same with a C6.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:31 PM
LS1Steve
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

That doesn't look complicated at all
Old 11-20-2017, 06:13 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nuke61

This is a C5, but it's fundamentally the same with a C6.
Agreed. I’ve pulled the motor out of the top as well and I promise you I will never do that again. Could have had the whole drivetrain out in the time it took me to pull it out the top.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:16 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by phipp85
Agreed. I’ve pulled the motor out of the top as well and I promise you I will never do that again. Could have had the whole drivetrain out in the time it took me to pull it out the top.

Without a lift dropping the whole drivetrain seems like a nightmare. I've seen the engine pulled from the top. It didn't look too difficult. What gave you most trouble?
Old 11-21-2017, 10:52 AM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
I'm planning to build a new shop in the near future behind the house.
Originally Posted by rio95
Without a lift dropping the whole drivetrain seems like a nightmare. I've seen the engine pulled from the top. It didn't look too difficult. What gave you most trouble?
Since the O.P. said he's planning to build a new shop, I assumed that he was going to get a lift. If not, yeah, probably not the way to go.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:10 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Oh yeah that’s only if you have a lift for sure! The steering rack was the bastard child for me. Motor was wedged up against the steering rack with the torque tube shaft still engaged, not fully just the tip that goes into the pilot bearing. If I had pulled the rack to start with it would have been fine. I had the whole engine dangling there and the front suspension completely assembled. I read on one of the forums that it could be done with the rack in. Oh man I was F-ing pissed lol.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:37 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Without hurrying, the last time I pulled one and timed myself it look me just under 5 hours to do from the top.

While it's true that taking it out from the bottom is easier, that's only the case if you have all the right equipment to lower and support it properly.

Get notified of new replies

To If you had a spare LS7...

Quick Reply: If you had a spare LS7...