Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] MAMO/ERL 440CI Complete Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 08:53 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
The tuner locked it?
I called him while the car was strapped down and he claims that he did not so I do not have a reason for why it's now locked.

When my friend told me the ECU was locked my response was "Of course it is". lol!

Now it's back in the trailer waiting to go to our new shop space in November and when I get some time I will mess with it then. Fortunately I have another ECU that's stock and never tuned if I need to use it.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:01 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Default A little better

Ran it today. Makes good power. Needed a new GM calibrated ECU matched to the VIN which it has now. Old ECU was junk. Couldn't get into it, nothing.

Last pull is on the sheet for comparison. Makes more power everywhere.

Flat torque curve. Makes 480 rwtq at 3750 which is about as low in the RPM range as I go most times and carries all the way to past 7,000 nicely. Should work well for my purpose.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:26 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

What a great chart Steve!!! Very happy to see it, especially all you have been through. That thing is going to pull like a monster out of the corners and with your gearing you will be right where you want to be at the end of the straights. Love the torque curve also. What a beast she is going to be. I really can't wait to see her on the track this year!!

I also like the notes: "one dyno run is worth a thousand expert opinions". Hahaha. So true.
The following users liked this post:
Racingswh (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 06:05 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mordeth
What a great chart Steve!!! Very happy to see it, especially all you have been through. That thing is going to pull like a monster out of the corners and with your gearing you will be right where you want to be at the end of the straights. Love the torque curve also. What a beast she is going to be. I really can't wait to see her on the track this year!!

I also like the notes: "one dyno run is worth a thousand expert opinions". Hahaha. So true.

Thanks Anthony! Quite honestly I had no idea what to expect. I figured it would make more than last time but wasn't going to bet anything on it.

I can't wait either!! Now it simply comes down to me driving it.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:49 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Great to see full Dyno charts with all the info. That should get you around the track quite well!
Racingswh (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 08:27 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Great to see full Dyno charts with all the info. That should get you around the track quite well!
I like complete information as well Dave! That's how I talk about all of the track data in exact terms with complete information. I'm not a big estimator or exaggerator LOL. My lap times are what they are for instance.

I expect at this power level the car is going to get around pretty quick. I've got some thoughts on aero that I would like to add so that I can maximize cornerspeed in corners over 100 miles per hour. After that it really will be just a matter of me driving it and becoming acclimated with how much throttle modulation is required when managing traction while coming off corners as hard as possible.

Since I have settled on this chassis I will just continue to develop this car and mold it to fit this more complete vision I have for it.

​​​​

Old 01-30-2019, 10:22 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Racingswh
I like complete information as well Dave! That's how I talk about all of the track data in exact terms with complete information. I'm not a big estimator or exaggerator LOL. My lap times are what they are for instance.

I expect at this power level the car is going to get around pretty quick. I've got some thoughts on aero that I would like to add so that I can maximize cornerspeed in corners over 100 miles per hour. After that it really will be just a matter of me driving it and becoming acclimated with how much throttle modulation is required when managing traction while coming off corners as hard as possible.

Since I have settled on this chassis I will just continue to develop this car and mold it to fit this more complete vision I have for it.

​​​​
Great plan. You are not one who complains about traction, you understand the need for a sensitive throttle foot.

With your home location, I will be interested to see what you can do for lap times at Watkins Glen, high speed downforce can be a big help there.
Racingswh (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 05:12 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Great plan. You are not one who complains about traction, you understand the need for a sensitive throttle foot.

With your home location, I will be interested to see what you can do for lap times at Watkins Glen, high speed downforce can be a big help there.
Thanks!

I expect it to be a low 1:50's car at WG. Not sure if I can pilot the thing around at that pace but I am definitely giving it a shot!!

It easily has the power to do that and as you know this increase in power for what we do has diminishing returns if the chassis isn't cooperating. Higher corner speeds in the fastest corners will definitely have the greatest affect on lowering my lap times. To harness this newfound power, although it already is pretty decent, further chassis development this year will be important.

Track days are right around the corner with the first event at a track I know well. Looking forward to being back in this C6Z and driving it as fast as I can!! I will post some video here if I get anything good. Should be a fun season!!

Old 01-31-2019, 06:02 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks!

I expect it to be a low 1:50's car at WG. Not sure if I can pilot the thing around at that pace but I am definitely giving it a shot!!

It easily has the power to do that and as you know this increase in power for what we do has diminishing returns if the chassis isn't cooperating. Higher corner speeds in the fastest corners will definitely have the greatest affect on lowering my lap times. To harness this newfound power, although it already is pretty decent, further chassis development this year will be important.

Track days are right around the corner with the first event at a track I know well. Looking forward to being back in this C6Z and driving it as fast as I can!! I will post some video here if I get anything good. Should be a fun season!!
Be safe!
Racingswh (02-05-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 09:16 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

It's a sub 2 minute car easily at the Glen. And with Steve wheeling it, I could imagine mid 1:50s once all is sorted with chassis and aero. Best driver I know. Anything sub 2 mins at the Glen is scary quick, and at that point you are fighting for your life for every extra 10th of a second. But as Steve turns 2 flat effortlessly, I'm in for some serious trouble this year it seems with this car...

I might have to carry around an unlimited tune on my HP Tuners, just for dealing with you Steve!!! And I'll be removing my ballast!!!
Racingswh (02-05-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 10:57 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mordeth
I might have to carry around an unlimited tune on my HP Tuners, just for dealing with you Steve!!! And I'll be removing my ballast!!!
Yep you might!!

Your car is every bit as quick as are you as a driver. I can't wait!! Playing is always fun. Playing at the pace we are going to be at? The only reason I do it.

Mordeth (02-01-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 11:25 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Steve,

Im thrilled to finally see this engine produce the numbers at the rear wheels that I always felt it should.

The power and torque curve couldn't be sexier looking.....extremely flat for a really wide usable curve (what you were after)......carries well even to 7K and beyond barely giving up any of its peak power. Its really a perfect mill for your car (for now......LOL)

Based on the engine dyno numbers I knew this car would be in the low 600's when you finally sorted out the car and the tune.....really looking forward to your driving impressions with the combo all dialed in

Enjoy it man.....its been a long road but we finally got here!

Cheers,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 01-31-2019 at 11:26 PM.
Racingswh (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 05:40 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Any reason you guys are not running Dailey Dry Sumps on these cars? Much better-designed package and a lot less hoses
Racingswh (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 06:02 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Whis9
Any reason you guys are not running Dailey Dry Sumps on these cars? Much better-designed package and a lot less hoses
That's a can of worms.....LOL

If we had to do it all over again Im sure thats the direction Steve and I would have taken. I will leave it at that.....if Steve wants to expand on it further its up to him

But in a nutshell you are spot on.....Steve went through alot of trouble to even get this system to work properly.....loooong story

-Tony
Racingswh (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 08:10 AM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Wow!! What a great thread and great details. Answers all the questions that popped into my head as I read through this entire thread today. I do have one question, what is your idle rpm?

Congratulations! I hope you have a fun racing season with all the hard work and research you put into your build.
Racingswh (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 08:58 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

"A can of worms" Well said!! The hoses ARE THE WORMS!!!

I can tell you that Tony and I tried to work with Dailey directly and when we did this build there was less information regarding EXACTLY what we needed than either of us were comfortable with. The folks at Dailey could not tell us what components would work. I told them "I have an LS, I want to buy whatever you feel is your best system for my new build". They could not give me an answer. Tony had the same results. It was extremely odd how vague they were.

My tuner actually has a Dailey DS on an LS in a Camaro his shop now. Gorgeous setup. Now I have the part numbers needed if that is a route that I take in the future with the next build.

I have recently seen a successful builder creating builds for our purpose move to ARE dry sumps and away from Dailey. I do not know why?

All those hoses you see are just redundant venting and then positioning of a final vented can out of the engine bay away from the headers. Nothing more. Huge thanks goes to David at Mighty Mouse for working with us to develop this venting system. His stuff is well made and the perfect size for the tight confines of the space.

Initial indications are that this setup on the car now is going to work. 10 pulls and quite a bit of part to WOT running on the dyno and so far and nothing at all in the catch cans. Like David said the goal is not only to let unwanted pressure out of the crankcase but also to keep the oil IN THE ENGINE where it belongs!! Looks like we might have done that. First real test comes out on the track.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:19 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Steve,

Im thrilled to finally see this engine produce the numbers at the rear wheels that I always felt it should.

The power and torque curve couldn't be sexier looking.....extremely flat for a really wide usable curve (what you were after)......carries well even to 7K and beyond barely giving up any of its peak power. Its really a perfect mill for your car (for now......LOL)

Based on the engine dyno numbers I knew this car would be in the low 600's when you finally sorted out the car and the tune.....really looking forward to your driving impressions with the combo all dialed in

Enjoy it man.....its been a long road but we finally got here!

Cheers,
Tony
Thanks for all of your help Tony!! The amount of power this makes and when is exactly what I asked for when we started into this.

Is it really time to start on the next one already??? We definitely have some cool things ahead of us!!!

Get notified of new replies

To MAMO/ERL 440CI Complete Build

Old 02-01-2019, 09:25 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MickVette
Wow!! What a great thread and great details. Answers all the questions that popped into my head as I read through this entire thread today. I do have one question, what is your idle rpm?

Congratulations! I hope you have a fun racing season with all the hard work and research you put into your build.
Thanks man! I appreciate the kind words very much. Should be a blast this season.

In answer to your question it looks to be around 700-800 rpm idle when it calms down after start up. Nothing out of the ordinary either. Just a cammed idle like you always hear. Hope that helps.
MickVette (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 09:34 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

"A can of worms" Well said!! The hoses ARE THE WORMS!!!

I can tell you that Tony and I tried to work with Dailey directly and when we did this build there was less information regarding EXACTLY what we needed than either of us were comfortable with. The folks at Dailey could not tell us what components would work. I told them "I have an LS, I want to buy whatever you feel is your best system for my new build". They could not give me an answer. Tony had the same results. It was extremely odd how vague they were.

My tuner actually has a Dailey DS on an LS in a Camaro his shop now. Gorgeous setup. Now I have the part numbers needed if that is a route that I take in the future with the next build.

I have recently seen a successful builder creating builds for our purpose move to ARE dry sumps and away from Dailey. I do not know why?

All those hoses you see are just redundant venting and then positioning of a final vented can out of the engine bay away from the headers. Nothing more. Huge thanks goes to David at Mighty Mouse for working with us to develop this venting system. His stuff is well made and the perfect size for the tight confines of the space.

Initial indications are that this setup on the car now is going to work. 10 pulls and quite a bit of part to WOT running on the dyno and so far and nothing at all in the catch cans. Like David said the goal is not only to let unwanted pressure out of the crankcase but also to keep the oil IN THE ENGINE where it belongs!! Looks like we might have done that. First real test comes out on the track.
That is weird, I emailed them and they sent me loads of information. I am also very fortunate that I have one of their vendor/racers, he orders lots of Daileys, local to me.

That's a shame on their part.

Let me know as I can get you in contact with someone that has all the information and purchasing abilities for Dailey.
Racingswh (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 09:56 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

That is weird, I emailed them and they sent me loads of information. I am also very fortunate that I have one of their vendor/racers, he orders lots of Daileys, local to me.

That's a shame on their part.

Let me know as I can get you in contact with someone that has all the information and purchasing abilities for Dailey.
Thanks!! That means a lot. Really appreciate that!!!

In hindsight I should have slowed down and reached out to the forum for answers. It's just that we were deep in it as Tony can tell you, listening to manufacturer's suggestions and placing orders.

Next time around for sure which apparently isn't that far off!! I can't believe I am saying that. I still need to learn how to drive the damn thing.

Quick Reply: [Z06] MAMO/ERL 440CI Complete Build