Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] MAMO/ERL 440CI Complete Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 04:16 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
Thanks!! That means a lot. Really appreciate that!!!

In hindsight I should have slowed down and reached out to the forum for answers. It's just that we were deep in it as Tony can tell you, listening to manufacturer's suggestions and placing orders.

Next time around for sure which apparently isn't that far off!! I can't believe I am saying that. I still need to learn how to drive the damn thing.
Steve,

I know we have recently batted around an even crazier build for you (and that's just the never satisfied nature of the hard core hot rodders right!?)....but really.....go enjoy and see what this one has to offer.

Your car will be extremely competitive with this engine and the power delivery will be more impressive than even the numbers convey based on some of my customers builds I have had the chance to drive hard locally.....extremely explosive courtesy of lots of things but mainly the high speed port design in my MMS 265 heads....your going to love it.

Cant wait to speak with you after you really get a chance to explore this engines potential some with the new tune and all the "teething problems" with the oiling system etc. behind you now

Its going to be fun....get some in car video to share for us

Regards,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com
The following users liked this post:
Racingswh (02-05-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 01:18 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,073 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Steve,

I know we have recently batted around an even crazier build for you (and that's just the never satisfied nature of the hard core hot rodders right!?)....but really.....go enjoy and see what this one has to offer.

Your car will be extremely competitive with this engine and the power delivery will be more impressive than even the numbers convey based on some of my customers builds I have had the chance to drive hard locally.....extremely explosive courtesy of lots of things but mainly the high speed port design in my MMS 265 heads....your going to love it.

Cant wait to speak with you after you really get a chance to explore this engines potential some with the new tune and all the "teething problems" with the oiling system etc. behind you now

Its going to be fun....get some in car video to share for us

Regards,
Tony
Thanks Tony!!

The predictability of it's power delivery will make this combo quite easy to drive. The benefit of more power can have diminshing returns although I can't help but thinking more is "cooler" . Power delivery that is soft off the bottom and comes on super hard at inopportune times (think huge turbo builds) makes for unpredictable mid corner driving characteristics. This is the complete opposite of that.

As I have mentioned you produced something that was as close to what I asked for as was possible. I am more impressed now than ever. Thanks for all of your help with this.

Next one we do the goal will be exactly the same power delivery characteristics as this which I am confident you can achieve. Want to have a backup ready to go to eliminate downtime when this one hours out or I money shift it.

Season starts next month. Can't wait!!

Old 02-02-2019, 01:43 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Very jealous that you will be on track next month Steve! They just started the tear down (#2) of my car on Friday. This time for race car stuff.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mordeth:
Racingswh (02-02-2019), tdeweese (02-05-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 03:48 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Very jealous that you will be on track next month Steve! They just started the tear down (#2) of my car on Friday. This time for race car stuff.

Love that!! Looks like a bunch of crap that just adds weight and slows you down anyway. I didn't know you had a passenger seat? lol!! Is that so you can scare unsuspecting people who think they want to go for a ride?? It'll be fun they said.

Your car, the Viper and the truck in that effects picture from Watkins Glen is my desktop background. Can't wait to see your car on the track again. I have never been this anxious or ready.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:37 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Love that!! Looks like a bunch of crap that just adds weight and slows you down anyway. I didn't know you had a passenger seat? lol!! Is that so you can scare unsuspecting people who think they want to go for a ride?? It'll be fun they said.

Your car, the Viper and the truck in that effects picture from Watkins Glen is my desktop background. Can't wait to see your car on the track again. I have never been this anxious or ready.
Love that pic. Yeah, I'm ditching alot of weight. Whole bunch of crap is coming out and won't be going back in. Entire HVAC system, all the carpets, radio, amps, speakers, door panels, windows etc etc. All junk that I won't be needing any longer.

Oh, my new wing came in. Dual element. Here are some pics:

Last edited by Mordeth; 02-04-2019 at 08:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mordeth:
Racingswh (02-05-2019), tdeweese (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 12:15 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Nice!!

You need to offset the weight of that new cage somehow. Sawzall?

I was impressed at how effective the aero was on your car. Good to see that new wing is here. Looks like good progress is being made. It's going to be finished in no time now!
Old 02-05-2019, 05:18 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Love that pic.
Found it. Fun times!!

Mordeth (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 06:42 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

I was actually looking for that pic. Thanks for posting it! Your Viper looks mean as hell there. I'm hoping I can get my car back to looking like it did in that pic again....

Here is my desktop. Saved this one so I could remember the few minutes I was able to hold you off. Also, what front aero are you going with?

Old 02-05-2019, 07:33 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

I was actually looking for that pic. Thanks for posting it! Your Viper looks mean as hell there. I'm hoping I can get my car back to looking like it did in that pic again....

Here is my desktop. Saved this one so I could remember the few minutes I was able to hold you off. Also, what front aero are you going with?
Thanks!! I like it a lot too. The C6Z is going to smash it though. Not going to have a damn thing for it.

One of my favorite events ever. That was a fun run the three of us in that shot.

You will have it back like that only better soon enough!!

Front aero is going to be his. I will go with his recommendations. The beauty is that we already have the mounting plates and points already established with the current splitter and undertray. All I need is the forward splitter rods and good to go. I am also going to change out my wing for one of his.

Hopefully we all get to run together. I ain't detuning anything to run with you guys!!!

Old 02-05-2019, 07:39 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

I spoke to him (Faircloth) tonight. He finished mine and it looks great. I would send him a text if that is how you are proceeding (and is a smart move, wish I went that way from the get go). If you need his number let me know.
Racingswh (02-05-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 09:08 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Had the opportunity to spend some time in the car this past weekend. Everything went well and was very happy with the overall performance of the car.

It's exceptionally fast and I would like to thank Tony Mamo again for an amazing build. Also like to thank Mordeth for always giving me the right advice and guidance when I need it most whether it be for troubleshooting issues or suggested mods.

It makes the right amount of power at the right time, traction was never an issue at all, and it pulls my ACR-E like Dodge forgot to install the engine. Gearing and speed in each gear with this ZR1 trans and the 3.42's are exactly what I had hoped. Speed in gear > higher numerical ratios on the road course just as I had suspected.

My Wife did an amazing job in the car for her first time back driving it in awhile. She never liked the C7GS I bought for her and she's happy to be back in a car she really connects with.

She makes a cameo twice in this video during the same run session and the screen shots are above. Once at 8:51 and again at 18:28. Makes good sounds!!

I will be adding some in car video from Watkins Glen in a couple of weeks where I will really get to see how it stacks up against my lap times from previous years.
Mordeth (07-04-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 09:39 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

"Cameo" no doubt......LOL

Steve congrats on finally having the opportunity to get into the car again and explore some of the potential of the new power plant we built

Im sure your wife is extremely excited about it.....its been a long time!

Just wanted to say hey.....this post definitely put a smile on my face

Cheers man!!

-Tony
Racingswh (06-26-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 10:55 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
"Cameo" no doubt......LOL

Steve congrats on finally having the opportunity to get into the car again and explore some of the potential of the new power plant we built

Im sure your wife is extremely excited about it.....its been a long time!

Just wanted to say hey.....this post definitely put a smile on my face

Cheers man!!

-Tony
Thanks for the reply Tony and hope you are doing great!

I have learned a lot more than I ever imagined along the way and continue to do so. One thing that still stands out is your level of customer service being superior to nearly everyone else I have ever worked with regardless of their industry. Appreciate that more than you know.

Then there's the part about the end result performing better than expected. Makes more power than I expected it to everywhere. My friends brought some extremely fast cars last weekend and the C6Z stood above all the rest as the fastest at the event (It also sounded the best to my ears). 5 Porsche GT3 Cup racing cars showed up to play, each one faster than the next, flappy paddles and all, with one driver having 146 race starts and a 52% in class podium percentage. That's a decent amount of road racing experience. I didn't think the C6Z would have anything for any of them. Turns out I was wrong. They had nothing. Not quicker anywhere. Not in the corners and certainly not on the straights.

The car is ridiculously easy to drive fast. It doesn't do anything odd. I think I told you it would be a 2-3-4 gear car and that's exactly what it is. Off corner at 60 mph in 2nd gear is simple where I thought it may present traction issues but it didn't Just roll the throttle and away it goes without any drama. Just happens to be doing it quicker than everything else out there that regularly runs with my club. (LMP3 Ligier not included )

With it being the way it is my Wife just loves it. It couldn't be better for her. The limits are so high, the car is so fast, loud and scary like she asked for and so easy to drive she just fell in love with it all over again.

The cars performance positively reinforced my choice of making it a long term keeper. It's still a work in progress that will continue to develop over the next couple of years. Thanks again Tony!

Old 06-29-2019, 10:47 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

I have learned a lot more than I ever imagined along the way and continue to do so. One thing that still stands out is your level of customer service being superior to nearly everyone else I have ever worked with regardless of their industry. Appreciate that more than you know.

Then there's the part about the end result performing better than expected. Makes more power than I expected it to everywhere. My friends brought some extremely fast cars last weekend and the C6Z stood above all the rest as the fastest at the event (It also sounded the best to my ears). 5 Porsche GT3 Cup racing cars showed up to play, each one faster than the next, flappy paddles and all, with one driver having 146 race starts and a 52% in class podium percentage. That's a decent amount of road racing experience. I didn't think the C6Z would have anything for any of them. Turns out I was wrong. They had nothing. Not quicker anywhere. Not in the corners and certainly not on the straights.

The car is ridiculously easy to drive fast. It doesn't do anything odd. I think I told you it would be a 2-3-4 gear car and that's exactly what it is. Off corner at 60 mph in 2nd gear is simple where I thought it may present traction issues but it didn't Just roll the throttle and away it goes without any drama. Just happens to be doing it quicker than everything else out there that regularly runs with my club. (LMP3 Ligier not included )

With it being the way it is my Wife just loves it. It couldn't be better for her. The limits are so high, the car is so fast, loud and scary like she asked for and so easy to drive she just fell in love with it all over again.

The cars performance positively reinforced my choice of making it a long term keeper. It's still a work in progress that will continue to develop over the next couple of years. Thanks again Tony!
Steve,

Thank you very much....so as not to derail your thread I sent you a more detailed reply via email!

-Tony

EDIT: Steve....my email bounced back for some reason....maybe you changed your email addy so I PM'ed you instead

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 06-29-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:19 PM
Che70velle
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks for posting this. Very impressive, yet manageable power. Quicker than a GT3 car with an experienced driver. Love this!
Racingswh (07-06-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 12:14 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Thanks for posting this. Very impressive, yet manageable power. Quicker than a GT3 car with an experienced driver. Love this!
Thanks for the kind words. I think when all of us go into these types of builds we try to make the right decisions so we aren't spending money all over again the following year. I am happy that this has turned out to be better than I had anticipated for my purpose and better yet my Wife is happy again. I used all the information I could from everyone on CF and am very grateful for all the help I have had and continue to receive. Amazing resources and information can be found here on the CF.

I feel the C6Z is one of the very best platforms to work from if an all around sports car is your goal. Truth be told the C6Z has a few too many nannies for my taste with the TPMS having an unreasonable fail safe but I do love the C6Z. Now that I am getting seat time in it regularly I am pleasantly surprised with this build and how well it works.

I mentioned to Tony I already want to start talking about a back up build using the extra LS7 block I have. Instead of a complete engine this time my Wife and I would like to build it together and put it in a 100 hour refresh rotation which I think will keep catastrophic engine failures at bay. Only difference next time will be a Dailey dry sump. Again thanks to CF we have all the info we need now to do one correctly. Everything else pretty much the same. Looking like some serious and satisfying fun ahead!!

Old 02-11-2020, 12:16 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Some off season diagnostics. 20 hours on the engine not including idle warm up or dyno time. Road course track use only. Rev limit set to 7200 and I typically shift if at 6900-7000 unless I am holding a 2nd or 3rd gear til the next corner or if I am out playing with someone and then it's a good thing there's a rev limiter.

Compression is 193-199 in all cylinders. Leak down done with 100 PSI is 3%-5% which is surprisingly low to me. Both tests done with the engine shop temperature cold Spark plugs bone dry. I run a little octane additive to be safe so they have a bit of a reddish-orange tint. Only aggravating thing so far has been electrical. Keeps going through plug wires. Almost need a new set for every weekend. Open to suggestions for those. Valvetrain that I can see looks great. I am going to send an oil sample to Blackstone but I change the oil so often I am not sure what it will show? I have the valve covers off and I am replacing the valve springs simply because they are a wear item and cheap insurance.

I don't have enough good comments to properly express how happy I am with the finished product Tony Mamo provided me. Like I have always mentioned his customer service is what I consider to be the best. It's important to me. That said in the back of my mind I am always a skeptic. My last build came apart in less than 10 hours. I have had many not so great experiences over the years. "Will this thing hold together" was always a question I would ask myself and figured "we will see".

This product test for me has been the proof I needed. I won't ever go to anyone else for heads. This is a track car in a track environment 100% of the time. Over the years I have broken everything there is to break on cars. With this engine setup I am using now that Tony put together for me, mechanically this is the most reliable and fastest any of my track cars have ever been. Thank you Tony Mamo!

Mordeth (02-14-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To MAMO/ERL 440CI Complete Build

Old 08-21-2020, 05:58 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Season #3 on this engine from Tony. Love the way it sounds. Pulls hard. Revs nicely.

Aero from Chris Faircloth on the way. 78" wide chassis mounted rear wing and a tunneled front splitter. Dual canards also on the way from AJ Hartman. Met with Joe Aquilante and scheduled the cage for November after the season and hopefully get to play with Mordeth in some on track W2W next season.

Here's my Wife on the grid. That's me in my Viper next to her last weekend. Lot's of laughs, lot's of fun, some rain on Sunday but all in all a good weekend.

Mordeth (08-21-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 12:16 AM
Sicvette
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 59 Posts

Glad to hear you’ve been happy with Tony. Got my heads a couple days ago from him and they are a piece of art....

Racingswh (08-22-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 08:52 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sicvette
Glad to hear you’ve been happy with Tony. Got my heads a couple days ago from him and they are a piece of art....
I was extremely happy with his level of customer service. He was a good communicator during the build and I appreciated that. Makes more power than I wanted or expected it to and does so right where Tony and I discussed it needed to start making power for the way the car is used.

Any issues we have had so far haven't been related to the internals. The 2" headers seem to have burned up a couple starters and some plug wires so we keep spares handy. That's really it.

Hope everything goes well with your build!!

Quick Reply: [Z06] MAMO/ERL 440CI Complete Build