Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

[Z06] Katech Street Attack Z06 SN# 97

Old 05-21-2018, 06:25 PM
BigVette427
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by hib halverson View Post
trust me...i have researched the ls7 engine and the valve guide problem as well as or better than most here on the cf. I've talked to engineers at different companies which make valves, valve seats and valve guides. There is no arguement that moldstar 90 has impressive material specs. My problem with it is that other materials make excellent valve guides at a lot less cost. Also, i believe that given guides and seats which are concentric within a thousandth, you don't need a guide like that. Now if you're going to work with heads having guides and seats which are not concentric, guide wear is going to be a significant problem and then maybe guides of ms90 might last a little longer. Also, if you were going to do a valvetrain with a tremendous amount of lift–far more than you'd ever run with a production based head–well then maybe you'd need guides made of moldstar. That said, recently i talked to someone who builds blown fuel motors and he told me the guides they use are screw-in steel parts with manganese-bronze sleeves. I've also spoken with those at gm who build the motors for corvette racing and the heads on the 5.5l race engines do not use moldstar 90 valve guides. Bottom line: Yeah, it's a killer material, but there are very few applications were it's really needed.
The way I look at is this. If I am to run Ti valves, which GM did from the factory on the LS7 intake valves, and I want to run bronze valve guides, I need to address the valves with the additional Molybdenum coatet stems. While that is a great solution, that's going to cost me just over $3,000 for 16 Ti/Mo valves. Instead, I can go with "overkill" Moldstar 90 valve guides for $600 and keep my stock Ti intake valves, and even upgrade at no additional charge to the superior Ferrea F2042P exhaust valves.

And AHP's tolerances on their valve jobs are .001" or under on valve seat run out (concentricity.) They take pride in their work and stand behind it. A lot of shops out there can't even get to that level of accuracy, let alone do it consistently. A superior valve job and a superior valve guide.

Originally Posted by hib halverson View Post
oh great. We both have useless dayco belts sitting on our work benches. Actually, i still think i can get that thing on, it's just going to take two people. One underneath the car holding the tensioner back and the the other leaning over and pushing the belt over the a/c compressor pulley.
I found the specs on the a/c belts I briefly researched; measurements taken from the RockAuto website, I think. The Dayco is definitely the shortest. Interesting that the stock belts say Mitsuboshi.

Dayco 5040410: 41.00"
AC Delco 4K418: 41.81"
Continental 4040417: 41.700"
Gates K040418: 42.375"
Old 05-25-2018, 11:54 PM
Hib Halverson
CF Senior Member

The "Blue Bullet" is back at Katech. I shipped the car there using Pilot Transport about which I cannot say enough good things. I dealt with Angie Makin in Pilot's main office in Brighton Michigan along with Joe Sanchez, the truck driver. Back on Saturday the 12th a Pilot tractor pulling a 53-footer rolled up outside.

I pulled the BB out of the shop, while Joe unloaded a C7 he was going to drop later in the day over in Los Angeles, then he drove my car onto the top level and all the way to the front. Then he stuck the C7 back in behind my car.

He was on his way about 45-minutes later. Pilot Transport knows their stuff as far as moving collector and special interest cars around. Their price beat the other two I had quotes from, Reliable Carriers and Passport.

If you need to have a car transported, give Angie Makin a call at 248-486-3701 or email her at
[email protected]. Thanks to Pilot driver Joe Sanchez for getting my car to Michigan safely.

The car arrived in Pilot's yard in Brighton on Friday the 18th and Katech picked it up there on the following Monday.

Katech emailed me yesterday to say that they will be starting work on the car late next week.

Obviously, I'll be very interested in what they find.

Once Katech fixes the engine, my plan is to, once again, fly to Detroit, pick-up the car and drive it back to California and, in the process, do some prerun work for the 2019 Corvette Caravan. Only this time, I'm going to drive as far as St. Louis then do an oil check. If the engine has used too much oil, I'll turn around and go right back to Katech.

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 06-24-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:19 AM
XEUROTRASHOWNER
CF Senior Member

They'll fix it.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:35 AM
CTYANK2
Katech Stage 2 #100
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by XEUROTRASHOWNER View Post

They'll fix it.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:41 AM
C6Z06Silverbullet
CF Senior Member

You should be good to go when they are done.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:08 PM
Dirty Howie
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
The "Blue Bullet" is back at Katech. I shipped the car there using Pilot Transport about which I cannot say enough good things. I dealt with Angie Makin in Pilot's main office in Brighton Michigan along with Joe Sanchez, the truck driver. Back on Saturday the 12th a Pilot tractor pulling a 53-footer rolled up outside.

I pulled the BB out of the shop, while Joe unloaded a C7 he was going to drop later in the day over in Los Angeles, then he drove my car onto the top level and all the way to the front. Then he stuck the C7 back in behind my car.

He was on his way about 45-minutes later. Pilot Transport knows their stuff as far as moving collector and special interest cars around. Their price beat the other two I had quotes from, Reliable Carriers and Passport.

If you need to have a car transported, give Angie Makin a call at 248-486-3701 or email her at [email protected]. Thanks to Pilot driver Joe Sanchez for getting my car to Michigan safely.

The car arrived in Pilot's yard in Brighton on Friday the 18th and Katech picked it up there on the following Monday.

Katech emailed me yesterday to say that they will be starting work on the car late next week.

Obviously, I'll be very interested in what they find.

Once Katech fixes the engine, my plan is to, once again, fly to Detroit, pick-up the car and drive it back to California and, in the process, do some prerun work for the 2019 Corvette Caravan. Only this time, I'm going to drive as far as St. Louis then do an oil check. If the engine has used too much oil, I'll turn around and go right back to Katech.
Bon Voyage .......

Waiting to hear the diagnostics and repairs

DH
Old 05-26-2018, 04:46 PM
MTPZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,023 Posts

^ Agreed...curious to hear what the issues were.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:04 AM
moose.b3
CF Senior Member

Any news?
Old 06-11-2018, 11:20 AM
SLOWRYDE
CF Senior Member

In for the fix. Any updates Hib?
Old 06-19-2018, 10:51 AM
HRDTOPC54FUN
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Hib - Any findings yet from Katech on your oil consumption issue ?
Old 06-23-2018, 11:17 PM
Hib Halverson
CF Senior Member

I had a conference call with Katech back on Wednesday. They gave me a preliminary report over the phone but the final report on the problems with my engine is pending. The guy at Katech responsible for that kind of thing, Chris, is off work because his Wife had a baby. After Chris comes back, completes the report and forwards it to me, I'll summarize it in a post here...probably be a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, congratulations Chris on your "family expansion"!

In other news....

I just finished an article for Corvette Magazine on the new ZR1's LT5 engine. I, also, did a piece for CM earlier this year on the car itself. While I love my LS7 because it's an NA engine that revs to 7100-rpm, I have to say that the new LT5 is impressive...everthing the LT4 could have been had the C7 ZO6 not had to meet European safety standards to allow its sale in the E.U. but I digress...I know this should be posted in a C7 forum.

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 06-24-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:07 AM
vette67

I had a conference call with Katech back on Wednesday. They gave me a preliminary report over the phone but the final report on the problems with my engine is pending. The guy at Katech responsible for that kind of thing, Chris, is off work because his Wife had a baby. After Chris comes back, completes the report and forwards it to me, I'll summarize it in a post here...probably be a couple of weeks.

In other news....

I just finished an article for Corvette Magazine on the new ZR1's LT5 engine. I, also, did a piece for CM earlier this year on the car itself. While I love my LS7 because it's an NA engine that revs to 7100-rpm, I have to say that the new LT5 is impressive...everthing the LT4 could have been had the C7 ZO6 not had to meet European safety standards to allow its sale in the E.U. but I digress...I know this should be posted in a C7 forum.
Hey Hib, glad to hear you are starting to get some feedback. I've been waiting anxiously to hear how the analysis is going. I'm sure we will all get a complete rundown when you have all the facts. I now have over 58K miles on the 2011 Big Bird (fast yellow you know) with no discernible valve train noise. Holding my breath until the C8s appear. I hear there may be a NA LT5 in the mid-engine as one of several engine options. That has my interest. Hoping all goes will with KT and the Bullet is back home again real soon. Standing by.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:35 PM
Dirty Howie
CF Senior Member

In other news....

Many of us are waiting to hear what the problem is and how Katech will handle it for you.

So is there a C7ZR1 in your future?

DH
Old 06-24-2018, 07:19 PM
Hib Halverson
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie View Post
Many of us are waiting to hear what the problem is and how Katech will handle it for you.

So is there a C7ZR1 in your future?

DH
After researching those two articles and after watching the videos Chevrolet has been posting. I have to admit, it would be the first supercharged Corvette on my radar, but for now, working with the guys at Katech to get my C6 ZO6 straightened out is about all I have time for Corvette-wise.

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 07-16-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:59 PM
Hib Halverson
CF Senior Member

Heard from the Katech folks this morning. They are going to pull the motor, tear it down and inspect/measure everything. I'll have the report in about two weeks.

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 06-28-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:37 PM
Hib Halverson
CF Senior Member

Default Katech issues report

I have the report from Katech. It came as a .pdf and has "Katech Confidential" displayed on every page, so I can't post the specifics, but I can summarize parts of the report.

In mid-May, just before I shipped the car back there, I ran an oil use test lasting about 300 miles. I put a quart in 200-mi after the test started and then another quart at about 100-mi after that. Katech confirmed that level of oil use just prior to their teardown with a road test of their own which showed about 100 miles per quart.

Katech ran the car on the chassis dyno and found it down on power. They put the original calibration back in the ECM and some of the power loss came back, but it was still 50-hp down from what it was when the car left Katech last on 7DEC2017. They also noted the engine exhibited knock retard.

The report states the MAF and spark table calibrations which were problematic. Starting on 28FEB2018, after Katech emailed me that they were unable to continue to send me revised calibration files, I made changes to both those tables. Prior to that, starting in early January, I had, also, made calibration changes, but none were with MAF or spark. Any calibraton change voiids the warranty Katech extends to Street Attack customers.

They ran an exhaust pressure test and found excessive backpressure on both sides. Both cats are restricted. They borescoped one of them and observed spots where the substrate had begun to melt, an indication the air:fuel ratio was lean under high load.

After getting the engine apart, Katech found the crankshaft, bearings, connecting rods and the valve train are all ok.

The crosshatch in all bores is just about worn away leaving a near-mirror finish. Bore wear is about .001-in. on all cylinders. All the piston tops were wet with oil. All the rings were severely worn. The Katech guys told me that an air:fuel ratio under load which is excessively lean or excessively rich can cause that type of bore and ring failure. Poor air filtering can, also, cause that level of wear.

Combustion chambers and valve faces are wet with oil and sooty.

The Intake manifold had dirt/debris inside. The air filter had been damaged, by my blowing through it with shop air when I cleaned the filter about a month before shipping the car to Katech. In talking with them and the filter vendor, I found out doing that to oiled-cotton filters is a bad thing.

Katech uses GM's warranty benchmark for excessive oil use which, in brief, states that oil use more 2000-miles-per-quart indicates an engine mechanical problem.

My "Street Attack LS7" has 4873 miles on it since it was built by Katech in late 2017. In the first 2851 miles of operation, before I violated Katech's warranty by making calibration changes in early January, the engine used two quarts of oil. It used a quart in the first 2070 miles and a second quart 781 miles later, which maths-out to 1380-miles per quart. From then on, oil use accelerated until I shipped the car back to Katech in mid-May.

In a conference call I had early last week with Katech's top managers, they were unable to explain how the oil use got started in the first 2900 miles. Katech's guys said that they have built many Street Attack engines in the last 12 years and have never had an engine with a problem like that.

The next step is for Katech to send me a quote on what's necessary to repair the engine and what it will cost to do that.

Stay tuned....
The Following User Says Thank You to Hib Halverson For This Useful Post:
CTYANK2 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 03:53 PM
MTPZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,023 Posts

Wow...melted cats on a NA car.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:03 PM
Dirty Howie
CF Senior Member

. Katech's guys said that they have built many Street Attack engines in the last 12 years and have never had an engine with a problem like that.
Sometimes **** just happens. Hoping for a good outcome!!

DH
Old 07-16-2018, 04:25 PM
FNBADAZ06
CF Senior Member

Wow !!!
Old 07-16-2018, 05:22 PM
JesC6Z
CF Senior Member

The next step is for Katech to send me a quote on what's necessary to repair the engine and what it will cost to do that.

Stay tuned....
If they built and tuned it, turn key out the door their gonna make you foot the bill? Am I missing something here?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Katech Street Attack Z06 SN# 97

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: