Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Mamo ported MSD vs stock (unported) MSD

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 11:28 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Default Mamo ported MSD vs stock (unported) MSD

I know a handful of you guys have been waiting for this for quite awhile and while most folks add other mods to the mix (eliminating a direct comparison) I finally had a customer that swapped with no other changes....same dyno....same tuner....same wheels and tires....a good A/B test comparing both.

The only way it could have been better is if it were done the same day but that just wasn't in the cards on this one. What I can tell you is the customer immediately noticed a difference in the power output after rolling off the dyno with the stronger numbers posted after installing my ported intake in place of an unported MSD manifold. The tuner who knows and uses this dyno often was also very impressed with the gains

In fact its probably easier if I just share the PM I got from my customer (a member on this board) who wants to stay "un-named" at the moment due to some local competition he plans to play around with this weekend....LOL

Tony, wanted to give you an update on the intake. Same Dyno, same wheels/tires, very close temp, no changes other than stock MSD to ported MSD. Made 618whp/545tq before. 636whp/563tq after. STD Smoothing zero. I Forget TQ numbers on SAE, but SAE smoothing 5 it was 605whp before and 624whp after. Huge gains for porting only. Thank you again for your great work! Can't wait to take this thing to the track! Feel free to use my results just don't use my screen name. Don't want any of the local competition knowing I did anything different lol

And finally, here is the overlay of the stock MSD vs the ported MSD I helped him with

The added airflow from the porting just lifting the entire torque curve which makes the seat of the pants from this swap even more in your face (your not just seeing gains at the top....in fact the gains down low are higher percentage wise than the peak increases).

The peak gains are 20 RWHP and 18 RWTQ but as I said the bigger news is the fact its up similar at every RPM and it looks like there is an even larger gain in torque in the 3500-4500 range.

I know this would have come better received direct from the independent source (versus the guy pedaling these modifications....LOL), but he has informed me he plans to hop on this thread and back everything I'm sharing with you guys relatively soon. Weather permitting he may end up racing the car this weekend and if he does I suspect he will drop in and post in this thread.

Catch up with you guys soon!

Cheers,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 10-20-2016 at 11:33 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports:
ElisTwoCents (12-15-2019), MTPZ06 (10-21-2016), phipp85 (10-21-2016), RGT (10-22-2016), xLDBx (12-18-2017)
Old 10-20-2016, 11:42 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I believe it. The ones we have done with your manifold vs stock msd are honestly almost identical numbers to this guy. 595-605 stock msd and 620-630 with your manifold
The following users liked this post:
HC Mechanic (12-14-2017)
Old 10-21-2016, 12:22 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
stock msd

Are just terrible out of the box.

I don't know what Tony charges, but after removing the top graphics on mine like Tony shaves clean and retextures, and porting/cleaning up the casting errors, Its worth what ever he asks.

I enjoy this sort of thing, and think I'm decent at it, but my work does not look anywhere near as professional as Tony's.

Word of advise, remove manifold and retighten all clamshell bolts after two hours running, I'm removing mine in a week and doing it again relocktiting all bolts again. The 3 top middle and 3 on the bottom stay tight. Mine were all loose after 2 hours running, really loose. When I started I had these wrenched on really good to.
HC Mechanic (12-14-2017)
Old 10-21-2016, 01:26 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Congratulations on the great results Tony! Very impressive, especially down low.

Regarding pricing: very competitive prices, the stealth mod is worth every penny, I was on the fence but I'm glad Tony removed the logos. So much so that I decided to sell my Katech valve covers and go back to stock with Mamofied FRCs.
HC Mechanic (12-14-2017)
Old 10-21-2016, 07:56 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

Very nice gains all the way across the board.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:20 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Nice !!!!

Last edited by FNBADAZ06; 10-21-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:21 AM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

how much is a ported MSD from tony? not shaved or anything- just an intake that's ported.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:26 AM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Is this with a GM TB or NW102?
Old 10-21-2016, 11:56 AM
TheSenator
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow, that's significant. Depending on the $/hp ratio, prob decent hp for the wallet too.

I'm guessing a tune is required/recommended as well with NO other changes?
Old 10-21-2016, 12:20 PM
dkz
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by encasedmetal
how much is a ported MSD from tony? not shaved or anything- just an intake that's ported.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:24 PM
Schred86
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

very nice. this is on my future parts list for sure.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:19 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Just confirms what I already knew...If you're going to buy an MSD, save yourself some headaches and just buy one from Tony.

As far as the logos go...I'm glad he shaves those off. From day 1, I always thought they looked a bit too...

Last edited by MTPZ06; 10-21-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:24 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Just confirms what I already knew...If you're going to buy an MSD, save yourself some headaches and just buy one from Tony.

As far as the logos go...I'm glad he shaves those off. From day 1, I always thought they looked a bit too...

My exact words to Tony! It's too Top Gun. But they called it the Atomic Air Force, mistaking Top Gun as USAF, and it's USN.
HC Mechanic (12-14-2017)
Old 10-21-2016, 08:18 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Is this with a GM TB or NW102?
Both combo's (before and after) ran 102 TB's

Originally Posted by TheSenator
Wow, that's significant. Depending on the $/hp ratio, prob decent hp for the wallet too.

I'm guessing a tune is required/recommended as well with NO other changes?
Its better than decent....for a small fraction of the total cost of the upgrade (especially if you have to factor in tuning and potentially install labor), you DOUBLE the potential gains from the swap. I typically charge $550 to port a new intake I provide (it's more for used)....so do the "math" on that HP gain per dollar.....its fantastic.

Here is the deal guys....not to shoot down my own results but I have been saying the same thing if you go back and review all my previous posts on this subject (ported vs un-ported). The MSD intakes in stock trim are all over the map in terms of fitment and finish quality. This is a fact....my guess is if you had the chance to do this six times using six different stock intakes as a baseline you would likely see six different improvements in net power. I really "good one" might only pick up 12 RWHP with the porting and a really bad one might see 22 RWHP with the average likley somewhere in the middle. Either way you slice it, the value my porting offers is either good or really good and why take the chance you get a bad one when every unit I ship is kick azz for a modest increase in the total cost of the upgrade.

Its just makes sense financially to optimize the intake when the gains from doing so are quite significant. Some of the gains are from how I rework the injector boss area as well (not just the air path)....reducing any type of fuel puddling in the combustion process.....its actually a good bit of work to properly mod these intakes and get them in "race ready" shape, but clearly worth the effort with the bulk of my customers seeing huge improvements from the swap.

And the Stealth package I offer is a home run aesthetically if you prefer or value a more integrated or understated look under the hood where the intake manifold logo's don't dominate every view of your engine compartment....LOL (Roger that Maverick!! )

A properly modified MSD is just a fantastic upgrade for the LS7 engine period....honestly nothing can touch the gains this mod can offer you per dollar spent with the exception of nitrous oxide but that doesn't count!

Keep in mind the the dyno comparison posted above in the beginning of the thread is a stock MSD vs a ported MSD.....look at this comparison a customer of mine posted going from an OEM intake/TB to my ported MSD and a 102 TB

This gragh posted below was his best run with 100 octane but it still made 612 RWHP on 91 pump fuel (from a 566 baseline!!).....he picked up 46 RWHP from the swap which is insane for a manifold swap. Note he had a big cam which helped the gains upstairs swell even more from the manifold upgrade.

There has never been a better time to own an LS7 powered hot rod IMO.....couple this manifold with my new extremely efficient Mamo Motorsports LS7 heads (my MMS 265's) and assuming you get the cam and the rest of the package right (which I can help you with), look out! Serious, serious power in a combination that still drives well....it really is awesome!

There are going to be a bunch more of my full heads/cam combinations wrapped up in the next month....should provide good info for you guys to pour over and evaluate....some are mild....some are aggressive (HR and SR), others right in the middle, but that will make for a really interesting cross section of results to look over and evaluate

If you guys have any questions about the various products I offer feel free to email me or PM me....I'm pretty good at getting back to everyone and do my best to do so within 24 hours

Cheers,
Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 10-21-2016 at 09:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports:
HC Mechanic (12-14-2017), RGT (10-22-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 09:16 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Very impressive! I'm glad you pushed me over the edge on getting my MSD ported. I can't wait to see the results on my build.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:20 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

Tony, what is the durability of this manifold for road racing?
Old 10-21-2016, 09:40 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by c5racr1
Tony, what is the durability of this manifold for road racing?
No less durable than a stock intake....I wouldn't hesitate a minute using it in an extended WOT type of application.

Should provide zero issues concerning longevity....

In fact all the new intakes come with the better base and outlet gaskets now also but even that was only an issue for guys removing used intakes and taking them apart (the fuel vapor from use tended to swell the older red gaskets). Its not an issue now....the seals have been upgraded and replaced

-Tony

Get notified of new replies

To Mamo ported MSD vs stock (unported) MSD

Old 10-29-2016, 06:39 PM
jimbob8915
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

So what cam or TB would be best and stay legal with one of these ported manifolds here in CA?
Old 10-29-2016, 07:56 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by jimbob8915
So what cam or TB would be best and stay legal with one of these ported manifolds here in CA?
Shoot me an email....

mamomotorsports@yahoo.com

I live in CA as well (Valencia in So Cal)....I know exactly what we can get away with (that will drive perfect) and give you a solid boost in power. You would have to swap out your springs as well though.....cant run the OEM spring set-up with a better aftermarket cam profile. Most decent shops can tackle that also....certainly any one of then qualified to install a cam

-Tony
Old 10-29-2016, 11:16 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Both AHP and CMS can custom spec a smog cam that would be an excellent fit for your Mamo ported MSD and Stock TB. Very stealth...

Last edited by MTPZ06; 10-29-2016 at 11:16 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Mamo ported MSD vs stock (unported) MSD