Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Posted this on c7z forum. Thought c6 z owners would be interested

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 12:54 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Posted this on c7z forum. Thought c6 z owners would be interested

After 2 weeks and 250 miles here is my opinion
—don’t get bent out shape read to the end

torque- torque monster down low
smooth ride- much smoother then c6zc, I thought the c6z was tight no rattles. C7z better.
driving position-,you sit down in it like the c4 versus a feeling of sitting on it like c6 and c5
wgg paint - great color and outstanding quality. Based on others opinions I got lucky or I have low standards.
Fuel mileage - seems the same maybe a bit better
exahust and active rev match- I thought rev match was dumb reading about it. But like it and the exhaust lets you make a lot of racket with very little throttle input - fun! The car actually drives smoother especially when the engine is cold in stealth mode.
Old school- the looks of the front and sides reminds me of the c3 which is a favorite to me.
Removable roof- big reason for the change to c7z
motor quiet- no sewing machine noise and no valve drop concerns. Once I factored head repairs and not being able to do the labor myself in to the cost equation of keeping the c6z versus 2017 incentives and a ton of gm Mastercard dollars I had the delta cost to get into an 8 year newer car was the price of a modestly equipped chevy Cruze.

dislikes-
​​​​​​— side skirts makes it harder to get in and out. I guess it protects against road rash
- dash board ridiculously complicated.
- while I haven’t really stepped into it up high really hard I think the ls7 definetly has the edge here. Especially with the 0 to 150 times reported by the car magazines. The c6z is a few tenths of a second quicker here so on the big end the c6z makes up some serious ground versus the c7 low end grunt.

Veridict - if you are planning on keeping the car 2 to 5 years c7z better. If you want to keep a car 20 or 30 years get the heads fixed , do Caravaggio seats And hang on to a c6z.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:05 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

You actually posted both threads in the C6z forum.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:44 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Thanks for this feedback. I owned a '92 with the special seats, with all of the bladders, etc. and you are right on with the seat feel. I always felt like I was getting into a cockpit with my C4 and the dash, console layout of the C7 immediately reminded me of an updated C4 when I first saw it.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:09 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Need some nice pictures of your 2017 C7 Z06 Coupe!
Old 12-10-2017, 07:22 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks for the feedback on the comparison. I'm hanging on to my C6Z for a long time. Mine makes 525rwhp after bolt-ons and fixing the heads, so the performance significantly stronger than it was stock. And I love how it looks. From what you said about the seating position of the C7Z, not sure I would like sitting down low.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:20 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Interesting review and appreciate the insights.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:33 AM
pazecar
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually bought a brand new C7 Z06 and was going to sell my modified C6Z (565rwhp). Ended up selling the C7 instead and keeping the C6. The C7 was more comfortable, had amazing technology and caught plenty of looks...but I like the cammed naturally aspirated LS7 performance better than the LT4 supercharger. Both were approx 650 hp at the crank...but the LS7 has much better torque off the line. The new one was certainly impressive...but boring to drive. Sold it to someone that daily drives it to work. Bottom line...the C6 was paid for and the C7 would not be...decided to keep the paid off car that was fun on weekends and get rid of the car payments.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:00 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by pazecar
I actually bought a brand new C7 Z06 and was going to sell my modified C6Z (565rwhp). Ended up selling the C7 instead and keeping the C6. The C7 was more comfortable, had amazing technology and caught plenty of looks...but I like the cammed naturally aspirated LS7 performance better than the LT4 supercharger. Both were approx 650 hp at the crank...but the LS7 has much better torque off the line. The new one was certainly impressive...but boring to drive. Sold it to someone that daily drives it to work. Bottom line...the C6 was paid for and the C7 would not be...decided to keep the paid off car that was fun on weekends and get rid of the car payments.
The first bolded part is simply not true. The second bolded part is why you sold it.

I own both C6Z and C7Z, bought and paid for in full. C6Z is heavily, heavily modified (~580rwhp) and raced on a track with turns (where it
belongs). C7Z has a simple intake and X-pipe and is otherwise stock. C7Z, due to the positive displacement blower, delivers MASSIVE amounts of torque just off idle. It also puts it to the ground more efficiently due to a superior chassis and suspension. This is what positive displacement blowers do - deliver FULL boost from GO which enables more torque production at lower RPMs. Off the line and through 2nd gear the car is a godamn monster. My C6Z stands no chance, and neither would yours "off the line". Sorry. I know this because I myself have tested it and raced my cars against each other many, many, many times - on the street and on the track.

C7Z loses steam up top though, as the LS7 roars to life at the top of second and through 3rd and 4th, angrily spinning to 7000rpms . It's as if the gates of HELL opened up with my C6Z at WOT in 3rd. CYA later C7Z! Get back into the garage and look pretty....

But again, let's not suggest that the C7Z is "boring to drive" or "has worse torque off the line". C7Z is downright scary from a dig, was specifically designed to be a monster on the "small end" and there is nothing "boring" about it.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:18 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
I know this because I myself have tested it and raced my cars against each other many, many, many times - on the street and on the track.
I have often wanted to race myself but can't figure it out, have a video?

Steve
Old 12-13-2017, 08:27 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by C2Racer
I have often wanted to race myself but can't figure it out, have a video?

Steve
?? I have friends that I trust Steve (do you?) and a wife that knows how to drive a car on a race track because I taught her. I've also done back to back runs with me in either car (switching) racing against my other car with multiple different drivers. I also record video and telemetry from both cars on the track with me driving them. I've got so much video that I literally don't know what to do with it all. I've posted many videos on this forum of me in my car on the track. You are welcome to search. But in general, I record video for my own information, to collect data on the performance of my cars and to help me improve. The comparisons simply come as a side effect observation.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:30 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

Calm down, it was early morning humor. And why did you have to bring up the no friends thing? That hurts.....

Have a good day!

Steve
Old 12-13-2017, 08:33 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

I'm plenty calm brother! Except for the foot of snow that just got dumped on me in this arctic wonderland.....no idea why I live here. If Watkins Glen wasn't so close I would high tail it out of this frozen tundra.....
Old 12-13-2017, 08:37 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

I'm plenty calm brother! Except for the foot of snow that just got dumped on me in this arctic wonderland.....no idea why I live here. If Watkins Glen wasn't so close I would high tail it out of this frozen tundra.....
yep we raced last weekend here in DFW. 12 degrees Friday morning but fine the rest of the weekend. Had a great time until I hit a stang. Oh well won 2 of the 3 races I was allowed to finish. Have a good one.

Steve
Old 12-13-2017, 08:49 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by C2Racer
yep we raced last weekend here in DFW. 12 degrees Friday morning but fine the rest of the weekend. Had a great time until I hit a stang. Oh well won 2 of the 3 races I was allowed to finish. Have a good one.

Steve
Ugh. Sorry to hear that. Hope the damage is minimal. Congrats on the wins though!
Old 12-13-2017, 11:31 AM
pazecar
Advanced

Mr. Mordeth...thanks for the reply and comments on my post. However...your opinion and mine happen to differ as might our cars. I found the new car to be not as much fun to drive (boring) - possibly because it was an automatic. My opinion on comparing MY modified C6 to MY stock C7 is different than your opinion. I too have tracked my cars and while I respect your opinion...show some love for others here and know when to behave like an adult. By the way - - the car payment had NOTHING to do with my decision to sell the car - it was at 0% financing.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:35 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Get that ductless electric heat pump/ac unit I told you about yet? Or is it another winter of smelling like kerosene with freezing cold wrenches in your hands?

Last edited by MTPZ06; 12-13-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:54 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Mr. Mordeth...thanks for the reply and comments on my post. However...your opinion and mine happen to differ as might our cars. I found the new car to be not as much fun to drive (boring) - possibly because it was an automatic. My opinion on comparing MY modified C6 to MY stock C7 is different than your opinion. I too have tracked my cars and while I respect your opinion...show some love for others here and know when to behave like an adult. By the way - - the car payment had NOTHING to do with my decision to sell the car - it was at 0% financing.

Are you saying your C6 Z (modded) was faster than the C7 Z stock? I certainly hear you non the manual vs the auto as far as fun factor or just the sports car experience. But some guys like an auto in the C7 Z and they are faster than the M7 in that model. But I find it interesting you would keep the older model. I would agree with Mordeth that the C7 Z has tons of grunt down low and I see that on the racing videos, although I haven't driven one myself. I have a friend who owns one and he said he has a hard time getting traction in first with all that torque. I do like that the C6 Z comes on strong up top and is a higher revving small block. But I would tend to agree that it would have a tough time with a C7 Z off the line with the massive torque of that car assuming it can get traction. But up top it would be good buy if the C6 Z is modded.

Get notified of new replies

To Posted this on c7z forum. Thought c6 z owners would be interested

Old 12-13-2017, 08:17 PM
pazecar
Advanced

Thaks keeso6z - - I think it may be just the particular way my C6 has been set up with the engine mods...but the C7 DEFINITELY had a lot of grunt - no doubt. Plus - in a drag race it would have beat the C6 for sure because of launch control. I am strictly talking about my seat of the pants feeling about naturally aspirated power - which I have always liked better than blown power. As this is strictly an occasional weekend driver and I like the loud pipes, cam and 'bad boy' experience in my C6 vs the 'finished feel' of the C7 (which is outstanding) I decided to keep the older car. I have a lot of buddies with C7 cars and may eventually get another one - possibly a Grand Sport and modify it. I have been to the Ron Fellows school and driven both the C6 and C7 cars...there is no comparison on the track - - the C7 does not go off into the dirt! Either way - - I still love my C6 for what it is - flaws and all. Glad to hang out anytime with another Vette guy!
Old 12-13-2017, 08:19 PM
pazecar
Advanced

Default C6 and C7

old vs. new -- both great cars
Attached Images   
Old 12-13-2017, 09:17 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Thaks keeso6z - - I think it may be just the particular way my C6 has been set up with the engine mods...but the C7 DEFINITELY had a lot of grunt - no doubt. Plus - in a drag race it would have beat the C6 for sure because of launch control. I am strictly talking about my seat of the pants feeling about naturally aspirated power - which I have always liked better than blown power. As this is strictly an occasional weekend driver and I like the loud pipes, cam and 'bad boy' experience in my C6 vs the 'finished feel' of the C7 (which is outstanding) I decided to keep the older car. I have a lot of buddies with C7 cars and may eventually get another one - possibly a Grand Sport and modify it. I have been to the Ron Fellows school and driven both the C6 and C7 cars...there is no comparison on the track - - the C7 does not go off into the dirt! Either way - - I still love my C6 for what it is - flaws and all. Glad to hang out anytime with another Vette guy!

Good feedback, thanks. I guess I need to go drive a C7 Z for myself to see what it's like. I really love my C6 Z and it's a fast, gorgeous looking car with 2,500 miles on it. For me it was the looks of the car and the price point. A C7 Z wasn't even a consideration since they were twice the cost or more. And I wanted a C6 Z or ZR1 ever since they came out. Finally picked on up a year and a half ago. I modded it to 525rwhp with bolt-ons and Stage 2 heads. Stuck with the stock cam. I have a buddy in Houston with a stock C7 Z M7 and we want to run them. I think he would lose - ha!

Quick Reply: Posted this on c7z forum. Thought c6 z owners would be interested