Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Z06 / ZR1 Battery upgrade Group 34

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 09:56 PM
QuickStyle
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Z06 / ZR1 Battery upgrade Group 34

I couldn't find much info on this subject when i was considering upgrading the battery in my Z06, so i thought i'd post a short how to on the subject. I know people like to put the smaller odyssey battery in their car, but i couldn't justify the price for it just to get a smaller battery with less CCA and less of a warranty than stock. My goal was to get more CCA.

The stock battery is a model T5 rated at 650 CCA 31LBS. The battery i chose was a group 34 Interstate from costco 5.5 year warranty for $83.99 rated at 800 CCA 37LBS. 6 LBS more that stock for 150 more CCA. Also costco doesn't carry the T5 battery, so my only option for replacement T5 battery was local parts stores, and the cheapest i could find was $158.99. so I'm saving $75 and getting more cranking amps, win/win.

The group 34 fit in the stock location just fine, didn't take too much effort going in and out, just have to go in at an angle pull the plastic trim a bit. the negative cable clamps on without modification, the positive cable is just slightly too short, it has two 90 degree bends on it, you will need to change those angles to two 45 degree bends with a couple of pliers, which will lengthen the terminal about 1/2 an inch which is just perfect for this battery.

The battery hold down top piece will not fit this battery, you will have to make one. honestly i drove around for about 2 weeks without the hold down on, the battery doesn't move much, but for safety reason its best to put a hold down on it. now I'm sure you can find an aftermarket battery hold down top piece that would fit on there, but i didn't want to look for one and i like making things, so i fabbed one up with 1.25" x 1/8" aluminum flat bar. i looked into 1/16" but it was too flimsy, 1/4" would be too hard to bend without a torch, so i chose the 1/8" which can be bent with hand tools and is plenty strong enough for the application. you will have to bend the bar similar to the stock hold down but to fit a wider battery, i didn't take measurements, but you can get the idea from the pictures I've included.

The battery vent tube is crucial, this is a must, you have to install the tube to the battery, charging the battery creates hydrogen gas, you don't want that and sulfuric acid floating around the cab of the vehicle. The group 34 battery has 2 vent tubes on it, either tee them together or cap one off like i did since they are both connected together. i used a rubber cap i had laying around with some rtv sealer in it for one side. since the battery vent is 5/16" and the stock vent hose is 1/4", i used a piece of 5/16 fuel line about an inch long with a 90 degree 5/16" to 1/4" adapter to the factory hose.

that is all, enjoy a more powerful battery. I am happy with the swap, the engine turns over much faster 800/650 = 23% more power.
Attached Images     
The following users liked this post:
DNAST1 (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 08:20 AM
Starfish Prime
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for this post was trying to decide which battery to go with and you help make up my mind. Interstate has always been a very good battery for me in my other cars.

Quick Reply: Z06 / ZR1 Battery upgrade Group 34