Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] GiroDisc introduces Steel Conversion rotor from CCM on C6 ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 11:51 AM
0Xplosive Performance
Former Vendor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default GiroDisc introduces Steel Conversion rotor from CCM on C6 ZR1

GiroDisc introduces Iron Conversion rotors from CCM on C6 ZR1

The Girodisc system is a direct replacement for the OE disc however a different brake pad with an annulus (pad swept area) of 66mm or less must be used. This is done to keep the rotor weight at a reasonable level. If we manufactured a rotor with the same annulus as the OEM CCM rotors they would be unnecessarily heavy. The necessary pad shape is FMSI 1405 which we can provide in several compounds.

The central hat section of our rotor is made from strictly U.S. sourced 6061-T6 aircraft specification aluminum. The disc is made from our own proprietary cast iron, poured in the USA and machined from start to finish in house at Girodisc. The rotor utilizes a curved vane design, developed in racing to act as a centrifugal pump to force cooling air through the disc.

The rotor and hat have a floating mount system, which utilizes 8 or 10 high strength alloy steel drive pins, manufactured by Girodisc in the USA to our own specifications and cadmium plated for a long lasting corrosion resistance. These pins take the load from braking actions while maintaining the axial and radial float between the hat and disc. The pins are secured by grade 12 cap screws with hardened washers. In order to keep the rotors from making noise when cold, the pins are mounted with anti-noise spring washers on the rotor side which allow the rotor to grow with heat expansion but eliminate the rattle and noise associated with floating rotors. This float also allows the rotor to self center between the pads.

Once the Girodisc system is in place, simply replace the cast iron rotor when needed.

SOLD AS PAIR

GIRODISC FRONT 2PC ROTORS FOR C7 Z07/C6 ZR1 WITH OEM CCM ROTORS
http://www.xplosiveperformance.com/G...rs_p_4084.html

C6 CORVETTE ZR1 REAR CONVERSION TO IRON ROTORS FROM CCM REAR RIGHT & LEFT
http://www.xplosiveperformance.com/C...ft_p_4194.html

Replacement rotor rings starting at $600.00 per pair

Name:  thumbnail (6).jpg
Views: 1560
Size:  7.2 KB

Name:  thumbnail (1).jpg
Views: 1642
Size:  11.2 KB

Last edited by Xplosive Performance; 01-10-2018 at 08:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Xplosive Performance:
DNAST1 (12-21-2017), HC Mechanic (12-27-2017)
Old 12-25-2017, 11:41 AM
0Xplosive Performance
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '13

GiroDisc introduces Steel Conversion rotors from CCM on C6 ZR1

SOLD AS PAIR

C6 CORVETTE ZR1 REAR CONVERSION TO STEEL ROTORS FROM CCM REAR RIGHT & LEFT

Old 12-25-2017, 07:54 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Aside from the obvious, ZR1 calipers. What else do you need to do to install these on ZO6? I'm also sure there are other parts required.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:52 AM
0Xplosive Performance
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by meanjoe
Aside from the obvious, ZR1 calipers. What else do you need to do to install these on ZO6? I'm also sure there are other parts required.
Since we have never done that conversation I can't say we know for sure but I would think you need the caliper, caliper mounting bracket, and possibly brake lines.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:35 AM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Nothing else really needed besides the ZR1 calipers. You can reuse your stock caliper bolts and brake lines. Everything will bolt right up. I would get new copper crush washers for the banjo bolts and you will need caliper pin kits (unless the calipers you get come with them). Word of caution...you will need wheels with proper diameter/backspacing to fit these brakes. The stock front Z06 ones wont clear. I went with the Cup Wheels for my ZR1 brake conversion setup since I knew they would fit.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:37 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MYCoupe
Nothing else really needed besides the ZR1 calipers. You can reuse your stock caliper bolts and brake lines. Everything will bolt right up. I would get new copper crush washers for the banjo bolts and you will need caliper pin kits (unless the calipers you get come with them). Word of caution...you will need wheels with proper diameter/backspacing to fit these brakes. The stock front Z06 ones wont clear. I went with the Cup Wheels for my ZR1 brake conversion setup since I knew they would fit.
I already switched the fronts to 19's. I've been wanting to do this for some time now. Thanks for the heads up on the other details. However, I did read that the Brake lines will need to be changed. Not too sure how true that is. I guess the best way to tell is to look up the parts and see if the ZR1 takes a different hose than the ZO6.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:07 PM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Dam now I have to check if there's an aftermarket 19" Z06 wheel for the front!
Old 12-27-2017, 08:31 PM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

I already switched the fronts to 19's. I've been wanting to do this for some time now. Thanks for the heads up on the other details. However, I did read that the Brake lines will need to be changed. Not too sure how true that is. I guess the best way to tell is to look up the parts and see if the ZR1 takes a different hose than the ZO6.
The ZR1 calipers bolted right up to my GS brake lines and I'm pretty sure the ZO6 and GS use the identical braking setup.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:08 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

All Made in the USA - Very impressive guys

Do you plate them in anyway to reduce corrosion?

I’m in the market for a set of Merican' two piece C6 Z06 front rotors
Old 01-04-2018, 08:52 AM
0Xplosive Performance
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '13

GiroDisc introduces Steel Conversion rotors from CCM on C6 ZR1

SOLD AS PAIR

C6 CORVETTE ZR1 REAR CONVERSION TO STEEL ROTORS FROM CCM REAR RIGHT & LEFT

Old 01-04-2018, 10:40 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

You do know they are iron disks not steel, right? Steel is a (relatively) poor heat conductor while iron is quite good.

Last edited by AzDave47; 01-04-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:17 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fisher auto
Dam now I have to check if there's an aftermarket 19" Z06 wheel for the front!
Just buy the ZR1 front wheel. They are 19".
Old 01-10-2018, 08:25 AM
0Xplosive Performance
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '13

The Girodisc system is a direct replacement for the OE disc however a different brake pad with an annulus (pad swept area) of 66mm or less must be used. This is done to keep the rotor weight at a reasonable level. If we manufactured a rotor with the same annulus as the OEM CCM rotors they would be unnecessarily heavy. The necessary pad shape is FMSI 1405 which we can provide in several compounds.

The central hat section of our rotor is made from strictly U.S. sourced 6061-T6 aircraft specification aluminum. The disc is made from our own proprietary cast iron, poured in the USA and machined from start to finish in house at Girodisc. The rotor utilizes a curved vane design, developed in racing to act as a centrifugal pump to force cooling air through the disc.

The rotor and hat have a floating mount system, which utilizes 8 or 10 high strength alloy steel drive pins, manufactured by Girodisc in the USA to our own specifications and cadmium plated for a long lasting corrosion resistance. These pins take the load from braking actions while maintaining the axial and radial float between the hat and disc. The pins are secured by grade 12 cap screws with hardened washers. In order to keep the rotors from making noise when cold, the pins are mounted with anti-noise spring washers on the rotor side which allow the rotor to grow with heat expansion but eliminate the rattle and noise associated with floating rotors. This float also allows the rotor to self center between the pads.

Once the Girodisc system is in place, simply replace the cast iron rotor when needed.

SOLD AS PAIR

Old 01-17-2018, 08:56 AM
0Xplosive Performance
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '13

SOLD AS PAIR

Old 01-30-2018, 10:06 AM
0Xplosive Performance
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '13

SOLD AS PAIR

Old 12-06-2018, 02:21 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

What is the best way to get ZR1 Calipers only to upgrade to your brake package on my non CCM Z06?

Thanks
Old 12-06-2018, 04:03 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
What is the best way to get ZR1 Calipers only to upgrade to your brake package on my non CCM Z06?

Thanks
Post up a WTB thread in the parts forum...someone probably has some take-offs.
The following users liked this post:
Hirohawa (12-13-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To GiroDisc introduces Steel Conversion rotor from CCM on C6 ZR1

Quick Reply: [ZR1] GiroDisc introduces Steel Conversion rotor from CCM on C6 ZR1