Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 lifters went bad, time to upgrade cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 04:56 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

A few months ago I had the same exact issue. Super loud ticking took car to GM - Bad Lifters fixed under warranty. Cam, Intake and Exhaust Valves where all OK.

Good luck.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:58 AM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Were the lash caps missing??????
Old 01-01-2018, 11:24 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

That would not cause that. The tops of the valves would be trashed, not the lifter wheel.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:05 PM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
My bad then. Yah, I thought it was SS intake valves. The Ti should not be an issue at all.

I've done the oil pump with and without touching pan. If you touch it, just need to loosen the bolts a little, not enough for it to even noticably move. I've also done it without successfully but you run the risk of ripping the gasket.
No worries, I get confused sometimes too

Thanks for the info about the oil pan. Did you have any leak problems down the road in the instances when you loosened the bolts a little bit?
Old 01-01-2018, 10:07 PM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
A few months ago I had the same exact issue. Super loud ticking took car to GM - Bad Lifters fixed under warranty. Cam, Intake and Exhaust Valves where all OK.

Good luck.
Thank you so much Hirohawa! Makes me feel a little bit better. I hope I end up being as lucky as you are .

Originally Posted by fisher auto
Were the lash caps missing??????
Nope, all the lash caps were there.

That would not cause that. The tops of the valves would be trashed, not the lifter wheel.
That is correct
Old 01-02-2018, 08:13 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by big_mike_eu
No worries, I get confused sometimes too

Thanks for the info about the oil pan. Did you have any leak problems down the road in the instances when you loosened the bolts a little bit?
I loosened the pan a bit and then it leaked. It bothered me so eventually I replaced the pan gasket. I'd really try to not loosen it.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:29 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

No leak issues ever.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:44 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

No leak issues ever.
Same here...
Old 01-02-2018, 09:01 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

The risk and odds of a leaking pan from slightly loosening the bolts is orders of magnitude less risky than not doing it and tearing or damaging the gasket.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:05 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Joe@CPR
I've seen a trend on the ls7 lifter thing. You can always chock some of it up to there will always be a percentage of parts that fail early on in their life cycle. But these are things i have started to notice that will take them out.

1) wrong pushrod length, time and time again we see cams installed with the wrong length. This will kill a lifter
2)long oil change intervals
3) car show guys who will get in their car rev the crap out of it and shut it off. No joke I see this a lot and than see these types come in and go but I don't even race it...
4)people who rip on it consistently without letting oil get to temp.

​​​​

All good points.

I would add:
5. Poor valvetrain dynamics
6. Bad heat treat on the camshaft

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 01-02-2018, 11:04 AM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

The risk and odds of a leaking pan from slightly loosening the bolts is orders of magnitude less risky than not doing it and tearing or damaging the gasket.
Is there a trick to taking out the pump without loosening the bolts? Of course in addition to being super careful.

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
All good points.

I would add:
5. Poor valvetrain dynamics
6. Bad heat treat on the camshaft
Thanks Jason, the odd part is that this is stock cam, stock pushrods. Unless the shop that pulled the heads of the car messes something up. I don't doubt it. ...or the common soft cam issue that seems to be popular

Once I pull the cam, I am intending on ordering the Katech Torquer 110 so I'll be in touch I wanted to ask, what are your recommendations for supporting mods for the 110? (springs, pushrods, retainers, lifters, etc)? I have stock Ti intake valves and SS exhaust per WCCH stage 2 package without the milling.

Last edited by big_mike_eu; 01-02-2018 at 11:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TWPVETT (02-03-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 12:47 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by big_mike_eu
Is there a trick to taking out the pump without loosening the bolts? Of course in addition to being super careful.

Thanks Jason, the odd part is that this is stock cam, stock pushrods. Unless the shop that pulled the heads of the car messes something up. I don't doubt it. ...or the common soft cam issue that seems to be popular

Once I pull the cam, I am intending on ordering the Katech Torquer 110 so I'll be in touch I wanted to ask, what are your recommendations for supporting mods for the 110? (springs, pushrods, retainers, lifters, etc)? I have stock Ti intake valves and SS exhaust per WCCH stage 2 package without the milling.
My recommendations for the valvetrain are for OEM valves or Katech Ti/Mo valves. This does not apply to solid stainless steel exhaust.

http://store.katechengines.com/psi-h...prings-p8.aspx x16
http://store.katechengines.com/titan...tainer-p9.aspx x16
http://store.katechengines.com/sprin...ides-p374.aspx x16 (although this depends on guide diameter)
http://store.katechengines.com/intak...seal-p324.aspx x8
http://store.katechengines.com/exhau...seal-p323.aspx x8
http://store.katechengines.com/c5-r-...chain-p30.aspx
Old 01-02-2018, 12:55 PM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Pan Gasket - the orange o-ring?

Just removed my timing cover (I lowered oil pan) and see an orange perimeter o-ring with what looks like a black rtv center. The black portion is torn & ragged, the orange o-ring appears intact. In removing the oil pump it would not clear the rtv substance w/o dragging across it. I had a cam install done 3 years ago so am not sure if rtv was added then or if it's part of the pan seal. There was also a bead of black rtv along the bottom outside edge of the timing cover as well. Replace torn rtv, remove, clean & delete it or do I need a new pan gasket????
Name:  DSCN3517.JPG
Views: 1818
Size:  2.65 MB

Last edited by Les-10; 01-02-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:07 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Les-10
Just removed my timing cover (I lowered oil pan) and see an orange perimeter o-ring with what looks like a black rtv center. The black portion is torn & ragged, the orange o-ring appears intact. In removing the oil pump it would not clear the rtv substance w/o dragging across it. I had a cam install done 3 years ago so am not sure if rtv was added then or if it's part of the pan seal. There was also a bead of black rtv along the bottom outside edge of the timing cover as well. Replace torn rtv, remove, clean & delete it or do I need a new pan gasket????
The RTV is from the previous work. Sounds like you can move forward w/o issue.
Les-10 (01-05-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 02:21 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

If you swap the cam I'd suggest you consider an 8620 core cam ground on a grinder that is designed for LS lobes. (ex. TSP, CamMotion, EPS). As for lifters, I love my Johnson 2110's that I went with in my build, a lot of happy folks with those lifters on the LSA's over in the Cadillac CTS-V forums.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:00 PM
Lead Foot 66
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts

My bad then. Yah, I thought it was SS intake valves. The Ti should not be an issue at all.

I've done the oil pump with and without touching pan. If you touch it, just need to loosen the bolts a little, not enough for it to even noticably move. I've also done it without successfully but you run the risk of ripping the gasket.
Got a knocking in the engine that sounds like a banging on a hollow pipe. Makes the noise when sitting idling or moving and it is proportional to engine speed. But the engine runs smoothly otherwise. My guess is a collapsed lifter.

Thank goodness I've got an extended warranty.The car is going to the dealer shortly to see what's wrong and get fixed. Then I'll decide about getting the heads redone.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:56 PM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
The RTV is from the previous work. Sounds like you can move forward w/o issue.
Thanks for your reply. Did you see the pic I added after your response?

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 lifters went bad, time to upgrade cam

Old 01-03-2018, 06:30 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

The "best" method is to relace the pan gasket. But that's a big job. You'd need to support the engine and drop the cradle. I would lower the pan as far as possible, remove the RTV, carefully. Inspect the red gasket seal, and look for tears and deformed spots. If you do not see damage, don't replace the gasket. Clean the gasket and block the best you can. Get a cover alignment tool. Use it. Smear RTV on all four corners of the pan gasket. Install cover. Then tighten pan bolts after RTV has started to set, but before it fully sets.

Keep in mind that the pan seals all the pump ports. If it is damaged, you can have pan scavenge, tank suction, or pressure issues. Not just pan leaks.
HC Mechanic (01-15-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 07:47 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Just did - follow MD's advice above..
Old 01-04-2018, 10:47 AM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Thank you sir! What would be your recommendation if I were to stay with the SS exhaust valves that are currently on the heads?

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 lifters went bad, time to upgrade cam