Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 lifters went bad, time to upgrade cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 12:38 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by big_mike_eu
Yup, saw a thread couple of days ago about a cover for the oil cooler. I will be purchasing one as well. This is the cover someone suggested - http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Corvette/
Precisely the one I was thinking of.

I'm a CHE busing fan (and user) as well, because of their long-standing reputation as well as their choice in the bushing material. They make them out of the same Manganese bronze material they use for their valve guides, which are s bit harder than common bronze, and are supposed to exhibit better lubricity properties.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 01-25-2018 at 12:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
big_mike_eu (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 12:26 PM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good morning guys, this past weekend was a bit warmer so I got to work on the car over the weekend a bit. I was able to pull the camshaft out. I don't see any eaten up lobes at least not what I was imagining from the soft cam issues that other people have experienced.

Please let me know your thoughts on the condition of the cam. The little specs that you see are from the shop towel I used to wipe it down.

I did lower the pan a little bit, not really noticeable to the eye in order to take out the oil pump. My oil pan gasket is black, going back few post to the topic of oil pump removal.

Is it worth upgrading to the Katech blue pump? I remember reading a while back about failed oil pumps on the LS7.

Note to anyone doing this job for the first time, the steering rack can be a royal PITA.

I didn't get a chance to talk with Kip last week, a bit too crazy at work. I will be filling out the cam form tonight and hoping to get a call from Cam Motion sometime this week.
Attached Images      
Old 01-29-2018, 03:44 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Look at mine when I pulled my lifters and cam ..mine was bad your looks ok not great ..
Old 01-29-2018, 04:09 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I run a stock oil pump. They are great. If budget is no concern, and you are going to do stuff that needs more oil, then look at the katech pumps but for most people I would stick with stock.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:59 PM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Originally Posted by RamAir972003
Look at mine when I pulled my lifters and cam ..mine was bad your looks ok not great ..
Oh wow!!! Yours was significantly worse than mine. Any ideas what caused the failure?

Originally Posted by Unreal
I run a stock oil pump. They are great. If budget is no concern, and you are going to do stuff that needs more oil, then look at the katech pumps but for most people I would stick with stock.
Thanks Unreal Unfortunately budget is a concern, but I wanted to make sure I don't cut any corners while doing this. I'm very thankful that my wife is very understanding of the situation and allows me to use best judgement on what's needed.

Probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyways. Given the space in the engine bay during a cam swap, there's no room to put a degree wheel to degree the new cam right? I believe the leaf spring is in the way. If this is the case, do I just trust that the cam is ground properly or is there any way to confirm all is good?
Old 01-30-2018, 01:54 AM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Well I will break it Down Comp Cams Denied there cam was flat, so then they said it was an oil contamination. Bam I already had my oil tested that EXACT SAME TIME.., the owner himself did the test and called me back himself after I explained to him that comp was denying a failure in there cam....so then they said it was my lifters I said ok all every single one, OK even Michael D said that's rare that all looked like that.. Well anyways long story short comp gave me a partial credit on the cam 150.00 wow..... Ok Ok you ready for the kicker how coincidental a month later after I emailed there company they come out with this youtube video.. trust me it was because of of what I told them.. Its funny Darin Morgan had did those heads yea Darin Morgan your going to tell me now what....Not one ounce of oil contamination was suspect I posted my Blackstone report... In my Book Comp Cams does not honor there products... I even told them Ill pay for half of the bill....

Last edited by RamAir972003; 01-30-2018 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:46 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Oh wow!!! Yours was significantly worse than mine. Any ideas what caused the failure?

Thanks Unreal Unfortunately budget is a concern, but I wanted to make sure I don't cut any corners while doing this. I'm very thankful that my wife is very understanding of the situation and allows me to use best judgement on what's needed.

Probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyways. Given the space in the engine bay during a cam swap, there's no room to put a degree wheel to degree the new cam right? I believe the leaf spring is in the way. If this is the case, do I just trust that the cam is ground properly or is there any way to confirm all is good?
You could probably get one of the smaller degree wheels in there. I have a 16” one and it would not fit without pulling the leaf spring. My cam was 2.5-3 degrees advanced from the intended ICL when installed dot to dot.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:00 PM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Originally Posted by RamAir972003
Well I will break it Down Comp Cams Denied there cam was flat, so then they said it was an oil contamination. Bam I already had my oil tested that EXACT SAME TIME.., the owner himself did the test and called me back himself after I explained to him that comp was denying a failure in there cam....so then they said it was my lifters I said ok all every single one, OK even Michael D said that's rare that all looked like that.. Well anyways long story short comp gave me a partial credit on the cam 150.00 wow..... Ok Ok you ready for the kicker how coincidental a month later after I emailed there company they come out with this youtube video.. trust me it was because of of what I told them.. Its funny Darin Morgan had did those heads yea Darin Morgan your going to tell me now what....Not one ounce of oil contamination was suspect I posted my Blackstone report... In my Book Comp Cams does not honor there products... I even told them Ill pay for half of the bill....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbwu7r7qqfc
Man that sucks!!! It's never pleasant when you have a failure like that...

Originally Posted by phipp85
You could probably get one of the smaller degree wheels in there. I have a 16” one and it would not fit without pulling the leaf spring. My cam was 2.5-3 degrees advanced from the intended ICL when installed dot to dot.
Thanks phipp85

I'll try to do some measurements tonight and figure out what size wheel I need to order.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:04 PM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Do you guys know what is the tool called used to measure cam lift when degreeing a cam? The one placed in the lifter bores.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:32 PM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Please disregard last post, it would be easier just to buy a cam degree kit.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:39 AM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Originally Posted by phipp85
I just measured this morning and it seems that a 9" degree wheel should work, probably the reason most kits come with that size

Were you able to correct your camshaft's degree difference?
Old 02-02-2018, 03:40 PM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Hi guys, I just heard back from Cam Motion, this is their recommendation:

"What we suggest is our LS7 Mild Performance cam Stage2 LS7.
These specs:
Grind # XA228/350-XA240/340-18+4

Duration at .050 - 228/240
Lift with 1.8 - .630/.612
Lobe separation 118
Intake center line 114.
Recommend our double.660" lift spring kit with the polished springs, titanium retainers, valve locks, valve seals, and spring seats."

I have not ordered yet, just wanted to run it by my fellow Corvette owners and get some opinions. A part of me is wondering if I will be happy in terms of power increase. I am hoping to at least break into the 500+rwhp range (secretly hoping for 520ish). My current setup dynoed at 473rwhp and 446 torque. Any thoughts or comments before I pull the trigger on this one?
Old 02-02-2018, 06:34 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Bone stock cam will make 500+. That should do 520 with ease
big_mike_eu (02-03-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 08:24 PM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

These specs:

Lobe separation 118
Intake center line 114.
Recommend our double.660" lift spring kit with the polished springs, titanium retainers, valve locks, valve seals, and spring seats."

I have not ordered yet, just wanted to run it by my fellow Corvette owners and get some opinions. A part of me is wondering if I will be happy in terms of power increase. I am hoping to at least break into the 500+rwhp range (secretly hoping for 520ish). My current setup dynoed at 473rwhp and 446 torque. Any thoughts or comments before I pull the trigger on this one?
This is the exact cam I'm considering. My heads are at AHP getting Kohle's Pkg 4 treatment with Street Porting & 1511 PSI's. I'm thinking that is the perfect cam for a strong street performer with great driving manners. Curious as to what others think as well

Last edited by Les-10; 02-02-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:26 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Bone stock cam will make 500+. That should do 520 with ease
All day long.

Originally Posted by Les-10
This is the exact cam I'm considering. My heads are at AHP getting Kohle's Pkg 4 treatment with Street Porting & 1511 PSI's. I'm thinking that is the perfect cam for a strong street performer with great driving manners. Curious as to what others think as well
Absolutely. Its their stage 2...and I would also use the PSI 1511's over duals.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:14 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
All day long.

Absolutely. Its their stage 2...and I would also use the PSI 1511's over duals.
I would not. That recommendation is way to broad, and generalizing duals are bad is a joke at this point. If Cam Motion is recommending a specific spring for that cam, use what they recommend. Piecing together parts that may not work with each other is possibly how people get into situations like this. Cam Motion should know what springs work with their cam.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:47 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

These specs:

Lobe separation 118
Intake center line 114.

Should be no issue at all reaching 500rwhp with that cam, which is spec'd well.
big_mike_eu (02-03-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 lifters went bad, time to upgrade cam

Old 02-03-2018, 12:28 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

I would not. That recommendation is way to broad, and generalizing duals are bad is a joke at this point. If Cam Motion is recommending a specific spring for that cam, use what they recommend. Piecing together parts that may not work with each other is possibly how people get into situations like this. Cam Motion should know what springs work with their cam.
Single beehive (like the OE LS7 valve spring) vs. dual valve springs is an old debate in the LS community; pros/cons either way you go. While many folks run duals on LS motors all the time, (including the LS7,) there is nothing wrong with a quality .660 dual valve spring but... I'm not sure anyone can make an argument that there is a better valve spring out there for your applicable LS motor than PSI's 1511ML. (If you run a cam with a lift over .650" you can go with the 1515ML's.)

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...ascar-6643778/

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/140...xhaust-valves/

I'd love to see some dyno pulls of Cam Motion and EPS's LS7 cams. TSP has dyno's of their LS7 cams on a stock motor on an engine stand with no accessories, but little else.

Last edited by BigVette427; 02-03-2018 at 12:35 PM.
big_mike_eu (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 02:59 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Never stated duals were bad...merely stated my preference of spring.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:10 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Never stated duals were bad...merely stated my preference of spring.
Why would you prefer that spring than what the vendor suggest for his cam with his lobes? Basis spring choice off a different setup, different cam, different lobes doesn't make sense. The vendor should know what works with his parts.

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 lifters went bad, time to upgrade cam