Z06 harmonic balancer - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06
General info about GMís Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harmonic balancer

Old 01-13-2018, 06:03 AM   #1
Jwwesttx
CF Senior Member

Default harmonic balancer

hey so im looking at getting a new harmonic balancer scince my motors out of my car, i was thinking about getting the ati 10% underdrive.
is there a benefit to getting the underdrive compared to the standard size pulley? and is it worth the extra money to get a ati or aftermarket pulley compared to the oem ls7?

thanks
Jwwesttx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
Mordeth
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

I'd go Innovators West or Powerbond, standard size. I just installed the IW on mine. It is a very nice piece. I don't see any reason to underdrive the system and deal with charging issues. ATI are also better than stock, but a few users have reported failures here.

Here is mine:

Mordeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
redbird555
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwwesttx View Post
hey so im looking at getting a new harmonic balancer scince my motors out of my car, i was thinking about getting the ati 10% underdrive.
is there a benefit to getting the underdrive compared to the standard size pulley? and is it worth the extra money to get a ati or aftermarket pulley compared to the oem ls7?

thanks
Yes it is and I would absolutely go underdrive with the ati. Thereís no reason not to. Itís a free 5-10whp and it still dampens way better than thebstock ls7 damper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordeth View Post
I'd go Innovators West or Powerbond, standard size. I just installed the IW on mine. It is a very nice piece. I don't see any reason to underdrive the system and deal with charging issues. ATI are also better than stock, but a few users have reported failures here.

Here is mine:

Every balanced company has issues. Thereís quite a few people who have had issues with IW as well. ATI is the only damper used in NHrA and nascar as well however IW is still a very good piece.But as said above thereís not really a reason to not go with an UD 10% wonít gige you any charging issues. Been there and done that with many cars and itís a free 5-10 hp. Even with a full stereo system in mine I still didnít have issues however I did raise the idle 100 rpm just in case but it was still fine even pushing 600w to a sub Powerbond doesnít even deserve to be in the same conversation as IW or ATi though. Itís a decent stock replacement but no where near what the others are as far as damping quality goes

Last edited by redbird555; 01-13-2018 at 11:26 AM.
redbird555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:38 AM   #4
0H8Z06
CF Senior Member

I too am running ATI w no issues.
0H8Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #5
psp6158
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree with everything above, I have an ATI with no issues.
psp6158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #6
Apocolipse
CF Senior Member

Yes UD is better than stock for damping but full size is another step up compared to UD. If you are modded and make good power, stay full size.
Apocolipse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:04 PM   #7
phipp85
CF Senior Member

I have an ATI 10% underdrive. There are no charging issues related to the dampener. I sent mine back to ATI for a rebuild after a couple years of mainly roadcourse use nd they said the rubbers looked great and I could have went another year or two. They said as long as you are under 800hp and 8000rpm you are good. The only thing they pointed out was the A/C belt robbed some of the dampening ability durning prolonged high rpm use(roadcourse).
phipp85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:20 PM   #8
Jwwesttx
CF Senior Member

thanks guys! i think il be going with the ati 10% underdrive to max out my hp while im at it!
Jwwesttx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jwwesttx For This Useful Post:
jayyyw (01-14-2018)
Old Yesterday, 01:48 AM   #9
Josh B.
CF Senior Member

My ATI 10% UD has been absolutely trouble free. Grab an easy 5rwhp. Do a Meziere EWP if you really want to free up your accessory drive.
Josh B. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Josh B. For This Useful Post:
jayyyw (Yesterday)
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • [Z06] harmonic balancer
  •